Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
nice thoughts , I would agree with you if i haven't read Amazing Spider-Man #535 , that place is a fortress , it's being protected by cute little "iron men" and many many more new uber-tech stuff , and many more even noone except stark and richard knows.

and we all know tony is a cautious man, he calculates every single detail in his life,and a breakout from 42 is probably a problem he has foreseen(we are talking about a time who calculates how long punching the crimson dynamo takes.period.).so I don't think they would be able to escape.

It can be done. Having the Punisher on their side just opened up the flood gates for prison breaks.

I just read the issue, and I liked it. I thought Millar is spot on this issue. Punisher is the ****. Daredevil's line about thirty peices of silver gave me goose bumps. I don't think Tony's quite playing the role of Judas, but he's close.

I just read the issue, and I liked it. I thought Millar is spot on this issue. Punisher is the ****. Daredevil's line about thirty peices of silver gave me goose bumps. I don't think Tony's quite playing the role of Judas, but he's close.

Yeah I think it was to psyche him out

Things I liked

- The Punisher
- Daredevil's Line
- The Art
- Spider-Man showing some balls to Tony

Things I disliked.

- The whole idea.

Let's send the heros to a prison in the N-Zone cause they will escape a normal prison.

Why not do that with all the super villains to begin with. That escape every two weeks.

Why is Cassie joining the pro side? I thought she quit cause she didn't want to fight anymore.

This is the really good and really horrid at the same time.

I'll say this...I never thought in a million years that the Punisher would go out of his way to save Spider-Man. Guess war can sometimes show you who your allies are.

My thoughts after issue 5

No. Im sorry but this is just stupid. This miniseries, wich started out with a pretty good premise has now proved itself to be about nothing more than putting our favourite characters in dramatic fight poses with each other. The road to get the characters in those positions, called the story, doesn´t seem to bother itself with being straight, logical, intriguing, or even atractive.

Am I supposed to feel excitement when Spiderman gets second thoughts about fighting against his friends, decides to leave the Avengers, and suddenly BECOMES A CRIMINAL? Did I miss something? He´s already registred and with his identity known (public, no less). When did SHIELD and Iron Man get the authority to tell him where to go and how high to jump? Sanctioned heroes not allowed to quit? Or is this one of those "subtle" plot points where I am supposed to notice how the registration act is bad for everyone and results in a dictatorship? This title is about as subtle as a plane crash in a backyard. And not in a good way.

The registration act itself seems very reasonable to me, and every argument for it so far in the comic has ben valid. But everyone embracing it, Iron Man, Mr Fantastic etc, are somehow depicted as ignorant bastards, who suddenly looses every moral standard they´ve had since the beginning of Marvel time and starts cloning thundergods, building superprisons in the negative zone and enlists SUPERCRIMINALS. Every now and then we get a panel with one of them saying something like "We don´t like this, but this is what it will take". And I just sit there and shakes my head in utter disbelief, and thinks to myself: "No it isn´t, stupid".

For all the faults this plot has, I think it could have been a better series if only the pacing had been done differently. So far, every one except the first issue has been nothing but a collage of different action scenes, glued together with the occasional scene where some people in a room somewhere talks very dramatically. Other than that, its all action. Boom! Some guy in a fight on a rooftop. Next page: Bam! It´s three months later and some other guys are being chased by thugs. Next page: A fullside splash of someone punching another guy. Next page: Another fight. And so on and so on. There is actually not much story at all, and I constantly get the feeling that I should have read all the other minis and titles in the Civil War-thing if I wanted to understand whats going on. Or maybe there are no answers there, and Millar just thinks its good drama to have people randomly switch sides between every issue.

This is what they call "widescreen comics"? I liked the concept in the Authority, and Millar also did this very good in his first Ultimates run. But this just plain fails. It feels sloppy, and no matter how many people Iron Man punches in the face, I can´t seem to care about the story. They say nothing will be the same after this, and they´re probably right. Unfortunately.

And on the other end of Marvel, in the Ultimate Universe, Mary Jane Watson has been transformed to a red hairy monster. Enough said. At least I have Alan Moores new The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-book to look forward to...

My thoughts after issue 5

No. Im sorry but this is just stupid. This miniseries, wich started out with a pretty good premise has now proved itself to be about nothing more than putting our favourite characters in dramatic fight poses with each other. The road to get the characters in those positions, called the story, doesn´t seem to bother itself with being straight, logical, intriguing, or even atractive.

Am I supposed to feel excitement when Spiderman gets second thoughts about fighting against his friends, decides to leave the Avengers, and suddenly BECOMES A CRIMINAL? Did I miss something? He´s already registred and with his identity known (public, no less). When did SHIELD and Iron Man get the authority to tell him where to go and how high to jump? Sanctioned heroes not allowed to quit? Or is this one of those "subtle" plot points where I am supposed to notice how the registration act is bad for everyone and results in a dictatorship? This title is about as subtle as a plane crash in a backyard. And not in a good way.

The registration act itself seems very reasonable to me, and every argument for it so far in the comic has ben valid. But everyone embracing it, Iron Man, Mr Fantastic etc, are somehow depicted as ignorant bastards, who suddenly looses every moral standard they´ve had since the beginning of Marvel time and starts cloning thundergods, building superprisons in the negative zone and enlists SUPERCRIMINALS. Every now and then we get a panel with one of them saying something like "We don´t like this, but this is what it will take". And I just sit there and shakes my head in utter disbelief, and thinks to myself: "No it isn´t, stupid".

For all the faults this plot has, I think it could have been a better series if only the pacing had been done differently. So far, every one except the first issue has been nothing but a collage of different action scenes, glued together with the occasional scene where some people in a room somewhere talks very dramatically. Other than that, its all action. Boom! Some guy in a fight on a rooftop. Next page: Bam! It´s three months later and some other guys are being chased by thugs. Next page: A fullside splash of someone punching another guy. Next page: Another fight. And so on and so on. There is actually not much story at all, and I constantly get the feeling that I should have read all the other minis and titles in the Civil War-thing if I wanted to understand whats going on. Or maybe there are no answers there, and Millar just thinks its good drama to have people randomly switch sides between every issue.

This is what they call "widescreen comics"? I liked the concept in the Authority, and Millar also did this very good in his first Ultimates run. But this just plain fails. It feels sloppy, and no matter how many people Iron Man punches in the face, I can´t seem to care about the story. They say nothing will be the same after this, and they´re probably right. Unfortunately.

And on the other end of Marvel, in the Ultimate Universe, Mary Jane Watson has been transformed to a red hairy monster. Enough said. At least I have Alan Moores new The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-book to look forward to...

These are the very problems I have with it. Thank you for putting it into better words.

Supermusli!

I see you like every few months. Too bad you don't like this, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Hey Ice! Yes, I´m still here but almost never posts, lazy as I am :)

I enjoyed the first issue, and thought the buildup to this event was well done (really liked Illuminati for example). And there ARE some great moments here and there... but all in all, meh.

Did anyone else hate the two page spread in the back? Its completely useless. We've seen the facility before, there's on line of dialogue, its just taking up space that could have been used for real story. My copy doesn't even have the same coloring on each page of the spread. One is noticeably darker. It really got under my skin.

He´s already registred and with his identity known (public, no less). When did SHIELD and Iron Man get the authority to tell him where to go and how high to jump? Sanctioned heroes not allowed to quit?

When? When Peter registered. To quit? Nope. The only thing that truly goes against the registration act is that it does not offer choice. To drive, you need a license. You don't have to get a license, but if you drive without one and get caught, there will be consequences. The same thing should apply here, but it doesn't. That whole Nitro and New Warriors event fell victim to what happens when just about any event like this turns political. People forget who the real villains are and what the real tragedy is.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=91713

So, they got Cloak, Wiccan and Daredevil, and it looks like it's the Negative Zone there.

I think Punisher made a plan for Daredevil to infiltrate in the prison and free the teleporters, then they call every anti-reg to the negative zone and free al the prisoners, but Tigra will tell Tony Stark and there will be a huge battle in issue 7. :wink:

Cloak, Wiccan and Daredevil might not show up. So far, the covers had been a pretty fair representation of what happened in the issue, but after CW #5's cop-out with the villains, I'm not sure. Of course, having those three on the cover, in what appears to be the Negative Zone, then having them not appear, would be even worse than having a symbolic shot of three or four characters who don't even appear for more than one panel, so I'm hoping that Cloak, Wiccan and Daredevil get some action.

Also: Who's Wiccan?

I've lost interest in this, the chacters seem really off and I just don't care anymore, just let it end

Cloak, Wiccan and Daredevil might not show up. So far, the covers had been a pretty fair representation of what happened in the issue, but after CW #5's cop-out with the villains, I'm not sure. Of course, having those three on the cover, in what appears to be the Negative Zone, then having them not appear, would be even worse than having a symbolic shot of three or four characters who don't even appear for more than one panel, so I'm hoping that Cloak, Wiccan and Daredevil get some action.

Also: Who's Wiccan?
Wiccan used to be Asgardian. He changed his name.

I've lost interest in this, the chacters seem really off and I just don't care anymore, just let it end
I agree. This is now officially gay. Can we just forget it ever happened? Oh nope, we can't. Everyone's identity is known, and Marvel is wanting to exagerate all the reprecusions.

It pains me this hasn't ended yet.

I agree. This is now officially gay. Can we just forget it ever happened? Oh nope, we can't. Everyone's identity is known, and Marvel is wanting to exagerate all the reprecusions.

It pains me this hasn't ended yet.

I don't see anything homosexual about it... :roll:

I really like McNiven's art. I wish Millar would do JLA with him. :shock:

yay i finally got round to issue 5!
had 40 comics to read and didnt want to rush them all, plus saving the more important ones till last.
but the best thing about this issue was Punishers entrance!

Latest posts

Back