Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
What I find disappointing is that there is a germ of a very good idea here - or at least, a potentially thought-provoking idea here! - but the writers are clearly just not up to the challenge, or their own outlook so clouds their perspective that they can't tackle the subject with anything resembling balance, or subtlety, or complexity. The "pro-reg" forces are portrayed as flat out evil @#$@s, and the "anti-reg" forces are romanticized and lionized. You'd never guess that the "right" the anti-reg forces are fighting for is the right for ANYONE to throw on a mask and operate as an unlicensed, unchecked, vigilante, subject to no law but his/her own - which might work if you are a near saint like Cap, but might just be a BIT more problematic in "the real world".

Instead - simplistic, superficial, narrowminded. Pity.

Shadow

sums up my thoughts on this whole Civil War fiasco

Ugh they are dragging this like House of M. Nothing really hapenned in this issue, Spider-man got his *** kicked by Jack o Lantern and someother guy and Punisher killed'em both. He brought Peter to the antireg side and said he was part of the team because pro-reg was alisting killers. Tigra is betraying the team (She was with a cell phone when Punisher appeared) They get Daredevil and tell him the fifty-super team idea. Oh, Sue and Johnny are with the anti-reg now.
The only good part was the end, when Daredevil (Iron Fist) gave a silver coin to Tony Stark.
"A silver Dollar? I don't understand."

"Guess that's thirty-one pieces of silver you've got now, huh?

Sleep well, Judas."

2.5/5

You're pretty wrong Quicksilver.A lot happened on this issue.It's all about reading what's written between the lines.
Pro-reg side lost spider-man.As a super-popular b-list hero , spidey isn't much good for the firepower. But he is full of intel.

If you count top 3 dudes in pro-reg that would be Tony Stark,Reed Richards and Peter Parker.He unmasked and took a lot of "+" for pro-reg , he went to "42" and he knows everything planned.Losing him is losing a lot of blood for pro-reg side.

The premature release of T-Bolts will cause a lot of pain too, now the anti-reg will know what they are up against.And they have The Punisher!!! Frank Castle can be a real pain in the tuchas for the pro-reg side.

Reed Richards started to regret what he is doing.And as you all can remember he was so confident in the registration.Even Reed's trust is going down.That's losing a real friggin lot of blood.2 out of top 3 heroes in pro-reg are down.

on the other hand , anti-reg heroes has a spy.That will cause a lot of pain for them.And they lost their teleporters.Which is a real bad thing because their strategy has always been to hit&run.

A lot happened in Civil War #5 , and the tables are slowly turning.I wonder what happens next when atlanteans are involved :) God , marvel is finally doing something great!

The best part about #5 was Punisher. The Punisher owns. The Anti-Reg plan should be to just give Frank a lot of guns and send him into 42 to annihilate everyone.

You're pretty wrong Quicksilver.A lot happened on this issue.

Sorry, I disagree. I couldn't believe when I finished this issue, I thought I was in the middle of it. Sue and Johnny part was SO boring, spiderman escaping Stark towers was kind of stupid and could be told in less panels. We got action just in the final half of the issue.

The Punisher part was pretty cool. I honestly was not expecting that.

Still, I fear this dumbing down Punisher MAX.

Loved it.

Spider-Man just getting a beat down because he wasn't ready for The New Thunderbolts was insanely intense. Punisher coming to the rescue was a cheer out loud moment. Jester was badass.

Anti-Reg seem to be fighting an impossible battle now too. It sucks that everyone (public, other heroes, their rogues, media, SHIELD) everyone is on one side in harmony and Captain America is running around causing **** because he's stubborn. Does anyone else notice that? Whatever though, they got Frank now. Woo Hoo!!

Rand's final words to Tony were great.

5/5

Loved it.

Spider-Man just getting a beat down because he wasn't ready for The New Thunderbolts was insanely intense. Punisher coming to the rescue was a cheer out loud moment. Jester was badass.

Anti-Reg seem to be fighting an impossible battle now too. It sucks that everyone (public, other heroes, their rogues, media, SHIELD) everyone is on one side in harmony and Captain America is running around causing **** because he's stubborn. Does anyone else notice that? Whatever though, they got Frank now. Woo Hoo!!

5/5

Agreed. Wonderful issue. I really enjoyed the art and everything else about this issue. Especially loved the Spidey scenes.

Last edited:
I didn't care for the jumping around, but I'm not gonna complain because it didn't kill the issue. It was just hard to switch windows, so to speak. Well, I guess I was wrong about Hawkeye being the masked guy, but yay, cause when I read NA 25, it looks like things will change for Tony. He really really starting to turn into a real ***. So now I think he will be head of shield. I still think Peter will be the iron man in Mighty Avengers until the opposite is shown. I think Sue is actually getting to Reed. Punisher is actually pretty cool in this. I'm not that big a fan with Punisher. But this was cool. I think they will enlist him since the new Thunderbolts team has been seen in action. And with the plan to get into the Baxter Building.

Also, can someone explain what the last comment means?

The Judas bit was great. Fit perfectly. Tony just looks like a total douche right now.

I think it's funny how he's been holding that coin this whole time. You think they would have searched him. :wink:

Loved it.

5/5

:rockon:

I give it a 4.5/5.

The punishers involvement was unexpected and kickass. I also really enjoyed Millar finally portraying the pro-reg side in a positive, sympathetic light. Hating Iron Man was getting old.

No one mentioned it yet but I'm sure everyone noticed Tigra in the shadows there. I think the whole traitor angle is old and shouldn't be used in this. I mean it happens in every book. But the consequences are always enjoyable so I can't wait to see what happens there.

No one mentioned it yet but I'm sure everyone noticed Tigra in the shadows there. I think the whole traitor angle is old and shouldn't be used in this. I mean it happens in every book. But the consequences are always enjoyable so I can't wait to see what happens there.

I thought she wasn't even on the team. but yeah I noticed. I thought you had mentioned it.

The "pro-reg" forces are portrayed as flat out evil @#$@s, and the "anti-reg" forces are romanticized and lionized. You'd never guess that the "right" the anti-reg forces are fighting for is the right for ANYONE to throw on a mask and operate as an unlicensed, unchecked, vigilante, subject to no law but his/her own - which might work if you are a near saint like Cap, but might just be a BIT more problematic in "the real world".

That's the point. This registration act, it's a black and white law, for a situation that has never been black and white. Anyone read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore? Well there's a scene where Mr. Hyde is describing his and Dr. Jekyll's unique relationship. Jekyll wanted to purge his evil, so he could be pure. Ultimately, he creates his special formula to do just that. He, Mr. Hyde that is, mentions that he has probably doomed them both. He later explains that Jekyll without him has no drives, so he wastes away into nothing short of a little man after starting out as "a great big, strapping fellow". In turn, he without Jekyll has no restraints, so while he started out as a "dwarf", he quickly became the monster that we see in both volumes of the story and this frankly is kinda how he meets his fate. To get to the point, that is what's happening here. One side is dooming the other because they're trying to make a black and white issue out of something that is grey. Anti-reg = no restraints. Pro-reg = no drives.

Omega:

My problem with Civil War is that the writers don't have nearly the appreciation for the subtleties that YOU do. It is all "Pro-Reg Bad", "Anti-Reg Good".

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see there are potential issues on BOTH sides - the writers, however, seem to have no stomach for any of the downsides of the anti-registration forces. They have been covered in any number of earlier posts, but, in quick order:

> Endorsing vigilantes (answerable to NO ONE).... does that only apply to superpowered people? What if Joe down the block wants to put on a ski mask and beat some corner thug to death with a bat? Cap down with that?
> Endorsing the idea that if you oppose a law, the way to oppose it is not politically, but violently...
> Endorsing the idea that anyone who puts on a mask has the right to do whatever he or she wants, in the pursuit of his/her personal view of "justice", to include warrantless searches, breaking and entering, obtaining evidence/confessions through violence, beatings, threats, etc....
> Endorsing the idea that people with superpowers (the equivalent of heavy weaponry, tanks, bazookas, flamethrowers, WMDs, etc) have a right to use them in any setting, causing collateral damage and injuries galore, with NO training, NO oversight, and NO personal responsibility.

If this was going to be an honest examination of the complexitities, of the Jekyll/Hyde dynamic you explain above... I think I would have enjoyed it. But IMHO (I have not yet read the latest issue), it has been a nonstop bashing of a "pro-reg" Straw Man...

Shadow

Latest posts

Back