Fringe (Spoilers)

Can you access Hulu where you live? The entire series is available there, withe the premiere expiring in four days. And each episode is about 50 minutes, as there are virtually no ads, a totally new experiment that FOX is trying.
Do not forget Hulu is only available for U.S. residents. I don't think even Canada can access it.

The first three episodes are pretty "Meh"/average. But it all turned around after the fourth episode blew my mind, and ever since then, each successive episode has gotten better and better. It's definitely the best new show of the '08-'09 television season. (And I gotta love that it all takes place in my hometown; you can even see my college in some of the shots!)
Okay, I'll give it a chance once I've torrented at least four episodes. I was falling asleep during the pilot (though admittedly, it's almost bedtime for me).

On a tangential note, I really think that American TV networks ought to start recognizing their international markets the way movie distributors do. It's kind of annoying to have to wait for nearly a year for FOX, ABC, NBC, et al to start licensing their shows to local networks in the Philippines. Movie distributors recognize that by failing to recognize the English speaking Asian nations like Singapore and Philippines, they risk losing potential box office to pirates, so they do simultaneous international releases now.

TV shows, on the other hand, are losing their international syndication value to torrents. Which means that its less likely for local channels to pay premium prices to American networks for their programs when they know that their potential viewership is feeding their demand through torrents and pirated DVDs.

Can you access Hulu where you live?
Nope. Almost all the user-free web TV channels that struck deals with major Yanqui networks won't display content outside of American shores.

Is anyone still watching this? Or is everyone still captivated by Lost?

There was a monster in the last episode!

Also, Olivia likes getting into that tank.

I imagine that last episode was the last time we'll see Olivia going into the tank since she'll no longer have Scott's memories.

Spoiler for an upcoming episode:
In Fringe 1x15 - "Inner Child", we will meet a "Young Observer" - whether it's a flashback or his son or something remains to be seen.

Last edited:
1x14 - "Ability" was pretty interesting and brought up a few ideas.

I like Mr. Jones. He is a creepy character and reminds me of Arvin Sloane (from Alias) and Benjamin Linus (from Lost). I hope he is a recurring villain (if he actually is one).

It seems Olivia is being trained for a war. What exactly this war is and who the soldiers are remains to be seen, but it sounds pretty crazy. It seems like she is special and a significant part of The Pattern (perhaps why The Observer seems to watch her just as much as he watches Pattern-related events).

It is interesting to note that we have presumably seen the end of one tank (the LSD bath chamber thing) and now we've seen the introduction of another (the decompression chamber Jones was in post-teleportation).

I am getting sick of that interrogation room though. We've seen it in the last four episodes. You can only have so many interrogations!

Also, Walter Bishop wrote the manuscript... another piece of his past comes into play.

Last edited:
1x14 - "Ability" was pretty interesting and brought up a few ideas.

I like Mr. Jones. He is a creepy character and reminds me of Arvin Sloane (from Alias) and Benjamin Linus (from Lost). I hope he is a recurring villain (if he actually is one).

It seems Olivia is being trained for a war. What exactly this war is and who the soldiers are remains to be seen, but it sounds pretty crazy. It seems like she is special and a significant part of The Pattern (perhaps why The Observer seems to watch her just as much as he watches Pattern-related events).

It is interesting to note that we have presumably seen the end of one tank (the LSD bath chamber thing) and now we've seen the introduction of another (the decompression chamber Jones was in post-teleportation).

I am getting sick of that interrogation room though. We've seen it in the last four episodes. You can only have so many interrogations!

Also, Walter Bishop wrote the manuscript... another piece of his past comes into play.

Yeah. Plus Olivia's cognitively trans-human and we're under siege by creatures from similar worlds to ours in a multiverse. :shock:

Yeah. Plus Olivia's cognitively trans-human and we're under siege by creatures from similar worlds to ours in a multiverse. :shock:

Yeah. I got really excited when they started mentioning the multiverse. That is going to be big when it comes into play.

Yeah. I got really excited when they started mentioning the multiverse. That is going to be big when it comes into play.

Dude, it's gonna be epic.

Us, ten to twenty years into the future, invading us.... Well, us in a parallel world ten to twenty years behind them. And Walter Bishop has seemingly constructed and coordinated the rise of a secret terrorist army to stop them. And Olivia's one of their soldiers.

That's awesome.

I just watched the pilot.

My review.

*ahem*

FRINGE is THE X-FILES removed of charm and originality, toting cliche and melodramatic boredom in their place.

Though, maybe the pilot was just terrible. Please tell me when the episodes start getting 'good'.

Last edited:
Though, maybe the pilot was just terrible. Please tell me when the episodes start getting 'good'.

Uh, later?

It totally is the X-files. No question. But give it a shot. It's really all about Walter Bishop. He's a great character, and it does get more interesting.

I just watched the pilot.

My review.

*ahem*

FRINGE is THE X-FILES removed of charm and originality, toting cliche and melodramatic boredom in their place.

The first three episodes are indeed mediocre. Everything from four and on is spectacular; I totally had to reevaluate my thoughts on the show. Unlike "Dollhouse", which has disappointed for all five of its episodes so far. (When is it gonna get good, Joss?)

Episode Four, huh? Okay.

As for DOLLHOUSE... it's been mediocre. It's got an interesting world and premise, but the lack of a central character (Echo is as much a "character" as Serenity is) cripples the show as there's no reason to care. When Echo composites (no doubt in a couple of episodes) it'll probably become worth writing about. FRINGE however... the pilot was atrocious. It was such a boring assembling of cliches. While Denethor is actually good, nothing else is. Dawson's-Creek-guy is pretty good, but feels a lot like he's doing a George Clooney impression. It doesn't help that the music is from MICHAEL CLAYTON. I like Cedric from THE WIRE but his character, the main character, and the whole metaplot of 'the pattern', were dull as hell.

But I'm willing to believe it's pilot-itis. A lot of shows, including FIREFLY suffer from it.

I'll try to give it another shot.

I dropped Fringe a while back. Just couldn't even remotely care about anything happening in it, except for the character who is just pretty much Uatu.

I just saw episode 2.

While still quite crappy, what surprised me is how quickly I am now liking Denethor and Pacey. They're very good. And their tender moment at the end of the episode where Pacey sings Denethor to sleep is particularly touching.

Tuning into the third episode and I realise that the main character, Olivia Floobeldeedoo, has precisely one expression: Frowning. Sometimes, she's so sad, she frowns. Other times, she's so perplexed, she frowns. And when she's angry... she frowns. Boring, dull character. Needs a better actress or a better writer.

Latest posts

Back