Justice League: To the silver screen!

I'm just saying what you guys were thinking.

No what I was thinking was :

"Take these broken wings
And learn to fly again, learn to live free
When we hear the voices sing
The book of love will open up and let us in
Take these broken wings"

Damn that songs been stuck up there all day.

CBR:

IESB has fresh rumors claiming that the Dark Knight Detective and the Last Son of Krypton will still be in the movie. Rewrites being done are supposedly to punch up the third act. They also note a move to Canada seems likely, making the production much easier to spy on.

Last edited:
From Superman Homepage:

Reports were circulating late last week that producer Joel Silver told chud.com that the "Justice League of America" movie had been "tabled".

I briefly cornered producer Joel Silver to ask him how the Justice League movie would affect Wonder Woman. The answer: it won't. According to Silver, who would be in the know, Justice League has been 'tabled.'

Today, a trusted insider who was working on the JLA movie told the Superman Homepage that the film is indeed dead...

Apparently much of the crew were given termination notice a fortnight ago, spending the past two weeks chaotically attempting to archive everything "just in case".

"It's a pity, there was a lot of good stuff in it - stuff that would've been fairly new to the screen", said my inside source. "But also some not so good stuff... so who knows...".

So is that it? Is the JLA movie dead and buried?

"There's a glimmer of hope that it will still be done... but that's a lot of planets to align."

The DC Heroes Sang in Unison: "Free At Last! Free At Last! Dear God in Heaven, we are Free at Last!"

Last edited:
It's probably for the best.

:noway:

Lois & Clark getting cancelled. That was probably for the best.

No more McRibs or Shamrock Shakes. That was probably for the best.

My last girlfriend breaking up with me. That was probably for the best.

The Justice League Mortal 'movie'? May it burn in Hell.

Last edited:
:shock: That's just wrong. Lois & Clark was and still is even today , Awesome.

It's one of Gothamite's(and mine) all-time favourite shows. I think he just means because it was getting pretty stupid in the 4th Season and cancelling it before it became abominable(like Smallville) was probably for the best and allows us to look back on the series with fond memories.

Edit: Oh yeah, the current Justice Leauge movie cancelled? ZOMGWTFLOL YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon: Now please make way for the total Superman reboot loosely based on Birthright and All-Star Superman, Bryan Singer-free and without ridiculous continuity baggage nobody understands!

Last edited:
It's one of Gothamite's(and mine) all-time favourite shows. I think he just means because it was getting pretty stupid in the 4th Season and cancelling it before it became abominable(like Smallville) was probably for the best and allows us to look back on the series with fond memories.

Exactamundo.

Lois & Clark's first couple of seasons chronicled the greatest, most realistic and most human adventures Superman had ever had in his (at that time) 60-year career.

In the late third season and throughout the fourth season, though, it started to suck royally. I never even finished watching the DVDs. But the good episodes of the show still far outweighed the bad, so I wasn't left with a sour taste in my mouth.

I can't remember the last time Smallville had a good episode. Even the episodes that get good reviews are bogged down by the outrageous elements they've introduced.

Now please make way for the total Superman reboot loosely based on Birthright and All-Star Superman, Bryan Singer-free and without ridiculous continuity baggage nobody understands!

Birthright and All-Star is apples and oranges. They're too different.

What I'd like is just a Superman adventure that isn't an origin but also isn't set firmly in any particular universe (like Superman Returns was). Start it off with the assumption that everyone knows who Superman is and just continue the story from there.

A great way to do this would be to tell the origin in a couple of seconds, the way All-Star did: "Doomed Scientists, Last Hope, Kindly Couple, HERO".

That would be so cool to see on a movie-screen.

Last edited:
It will never work. You NEED to start with the origin because you're not selling Superman, you're selling YOUR Superman, who for all intents and purposes is a new character. Just because most people(and it is most, and not all) know that he can fly and see through things and wears glasses doesn't mean they know WHO he is, because that's bull****. They knew as much about Spider-Man also but without an origin that franchise wouldn't have worked. I can't stress this enough. You can't just plunk somebody down with a character(let alone one with a lifetime of bizarrity behind them)and have them instantly relate to them anywhere near as effectively as if they actually grow with the character from the start and learn as they learn.

And this applies to Superman more than anyone else, because a) so many people find him so hard to like or relate to in the first place, and b) there hasn't been a definitive version of him in the public eye for about 30 years.

And again, so many comic fans make the mistake that everybody knows everything about Superman and everything around him. Go ask 10 people you know what his parent's names are, or who takes his picture or if he can turn invisible and see how many actually have a grasp of this stuff.

For Superman or any superhero to become as likeable a property as movie-Spider-Man, the learning curve is the most essential element in the film. Otherwise, he will always be once-removed from the audience and never really sink in.

It will never work. You NEED to start with the origin because you're not selling Superman, you're selling YOUR Superman, who for all intents and purposes is a new character. Just because most people(and it is most, and not all) know that he can fly and see through things and wears glasses doesn't mean they know WHO he is, because that's bull****. They knew as much about Spider-Man also but without an origin that franchise wouldn't have worked. I can't stress this enough. You can't just plunk somebody down with a character(let alone one with a lifetime of bizarrity behind them)and have them instantly relate to them anywhere near as effectively as if they actually grow with the character from the start and learn as they learn.

And this applies to Superman more than anyone else, because a) so many people find him so hard to like or relate to in the first place, and b) there hasn't been a definitive version of him in the public eye for about 30 years.

Fair enough, but is it fair to say that after your "super-fantastic-mega-reboot" that I think they should never make another origin-movie again?

Superman: The Movie is not the be-all and end-all of Superman movies. But it's very, very good and stands the test of time even though it's quite obvious that it was made in the 1970s. I really don't think you need to make an 'updated and revised' origin every 20 years, just so people 'know who he is'. Going by your logic, there'll be three Superman origin movies by the time I'm 60, all of them 'reflecting the times' but basically telling the same story I've heard thousands of times before. The thought of this is more agonising than a million Bryan Singer movies.

Nobody knew James Bond's origin until just recently and that never hurt his movie popularity. I've seen every James Bond film ever made and I've seen quite a number of them with people who'd never seen one ever and I've never had to suffer questions such as "Who's that guy? Is that his boss or something? Why's he flirting with the secretary? Does that old guy make the gadgets or something?" Usually because the script makes it quite obvious to the unassuming filmgoer as to who these characters are and what their functions are. I'm not saying that Lois, Jimmy and Perry need to become one-dimensional characters, but it is possible to make movies that expand and develop their characters without explaining the complexities and idiosyncrasies of their origins.

Perhaps it's not an example anyone will take very seriously, but Godzilla's origin was only ever told twice and the second time, it was lambasted into oblivion because of the cultural and chronological changes it bore from the original. Godzilla's starred in nearly 30 movies and most of them were successful. I've seen maybe two of them, but from what I hear from the fanbase, they're not all about action and slugfests and they usually have some degree of interesting characterisation. You're telling me it's impossible to do this for Superman without telling an origin story every twenty years?

And again, so many comic fans make the mistake that everybody knows everything about Superman and everything around him. Go ask 10 people you know what his parent's names are, or who takes his picture or if he can turn invisible and see how many actually have a grasp of this stuff.

True, but anyone who knows so little about Superman are usually people whose favourite movies include Happy Gilmore or Zoolander and only go to a Superman movie for cheap thrills and have very little to say about anything beyond material superficiality.

I'll tell you what. I'll go to 10 educated and intelligent people before the end of the day and see if I can prove you wrong.

For Superman or any superhero to become as likeable a property as movie-Spider-Man, the learning curve is the most essential element in the film. Otherwise, he will always be once-removed from the audience and never really sink in.

Again, you're right but it is possible to make a superhero movie unlike Spider-Man and for the characters to be interesting.

The bottom line is that if this is the case with the general filmgoing populace, I think I might just go and jump in front of a train, because it means that we're going to probably have another two Batman origin movies, a Spider-Man origin and several Superman origins, without attempt to develop and enhance the story beyond one or two (maybe three if it's really successful) sequels.

Last edited:
Nobody knew James Bond's origin until just recently and that never hurt his movie popularity. I've seen every James Bond film ever made and I've seen quite a number of them with people who'd never seen one ever and I've never had to suffer questions such as "Who's that guy? Is that his boss or something? Why's he flirting with the secretary? Does that old guy make the gadgets or something?" Usually because the script makes it quite obvious to the unassuming filmgoer as to who these characters are and what their functions are. I'm not saying that Lois, Jimmy and Perry need to become one-dimensional characters, but it is possible to make movies that expand and develop their characters without explaining the complexities and idiosyncrasies of their origins.
This is exactly why I find it ridiculous when people think EVERY super villain needs to be explained or given an origin or a full-on expository rationale as to why they are super villains.

A character isn't necessarily lacking or one dimensional just because his background hasn't been spelled out, let alone his origin. Character comes from behavior and mannerisms, kind of like how you know everything you need to know about Indiana Jones from his attitude, his demeanor and his philosophy to life than from an expository detailing of how he came to be.

In fact, the only time such an origin becomes ABSOLUTELY necessary is when it becomes somehow relevant and connected to the plot at present, kind of like you know Eddie Valiant has a past notoriety for taking Toon clients and Toontown cases, despite being grouchy about it all the time, something that doesn't become ORIGIN material until later in the film when it is explained shortly before he drives to the Gag Factory and fights Judge Doom.

Latest posts

Back