I was just starting the second issue when I posted that... So sue me for being hooked! :p

Okay, basically, I love everything about the book. Like someone said above, you can see where he got started on his idea of the Man versus the God, and the Superhuman being the thin line between the two...

I love how they kept the separation between Miracleman and Mike Moran...

And yeah, I'm intrigued by the man with the sapphire teeth...

I can't wait to read the rest of it.

OMG I just read miracleman 16, the end of Moore run. Its so good! The real origin of him and his "buddies" is so brilliant.

Isn't it just the most amazing feeling to read this comic? You kind of just sit there and go... "yeah... that's the end" in a strange way like accepting your death. It's just that kind of - you're quite happy it's over, but miss all the things that have just happened, you know? I just love it.

I loved the battle in #2. Kid Miracleman is such an *******. I really liked Mike and Liz testing his powers. And damn,...Cream is a badass. It took him fifteen minutes to suffocate that terrorist. And that scene with the kid in the elevator was just cold.

I forgot to mention before how awesome the art is. Especially in the fight sequence. I know they had limited colors back then, but the full orange and red and yellow panels during the fight just seemed perfect as compared to if they were in full color.

And Bass, I really saw what you were talking about in the fight sequence and when Mike is talking about how inadequate he feels compared to Miracleman about the characters being portrayed as Gods. You really get the sense that Miracleman and his cohorts are Gods among men.

It's a very palpable terror of you being so insignificant.

That grows as the series continues. The series is 16 issues, split into three "books". The first one ends in #6, the next one in #10, and the third one "Olympus" - wow.

It's unbelievable.

Also - I don't think the panels being one colour is a 'limited colour' thing, but an artistic choice. This was 1982 or something. They could (and do) produce panels that are fully coloured. But to Kid Miracleman, life is a psychotic nightmare, and so when he shows up, everything goes screwy.

I haven't read any of the Neil Gaiman stuff.

First, it doesn't end (the last issue was never made as far as I know - could be wrong) and second - I don't even want to think there's anything remotely interesting to say post-#16.

But that's just me. One day, I'll probably give it a go. I'm positive it's not bad.

Bass said:
It's a very palpable terror of you being so insignificant.

That grows as the series continues. The series is 16 issues, split into three "books". The first one ends in #6, the next one in #10, and the third one "Olympus" - wow.

It's unbelievable.

Also - I don't think the panels being one colour is a 'limited colour' thing, but an artistic choice. This was 1982 or something. They could (and do) produce panels that are fully coloured. But to Kid Miracleman, life is a psychotic nightmare, and so when he shows up, everything goes screwy.
Well, I read Batman: Year One and in the hardcover they said they recolored it because at the time they could only produce 60 colors on the type of paper they used. Thats why so many comics from back then feature a bit less texture in the colors and more panels that are just sort of colored over.

Texture in colours, yes. I thought you meant why it was just one colour and not multiple colours (flat or textured).

I'm up to #5 and I have a question: Were Miracleman's original adventures all dreams or were they just illusions placed over real goverment missions (like the way Big Ben thought MM was a Soviet supervillain)? If so, were these missions just ultra secret?

By the way, I loved Dr. Gargunza and I was so happy to see the way Moore portrayed the alien ship. I'm kind of sick of the way alien technology is represented as looking like something from our future, when in reality it would be totally different than anything we've ever seen and would probably look like something out of a modern art museum. Which is exactly the way it was in Miracleman.

Everything gets explained properly in due time.

Understand that it's quite probable Miracleman has the most brilliant origin any super hero has ever had.

I just finished 6,7, and 9. I skipped #8 because according to everything I've read online, its just reprints.

Observations:

-Miracledog is sweet.
-Poor, poor Cream.:(
-Poor, poor Mike too. I'm starting to really feel bad for him. He knows that he and Miracleman aren't really the same person, which means that hes just a puny, insignificant human. Not only is he only a human (a weak and cowardly one, at that), but Liz's baby is Miracleman's and not his. It was Miracleman who was there for the birth, not him.
-Speaking of the birth...It didn't seem that graphic to me. Now granted, I saw a woman giving birth on film years ago in a sex ed class, but it still wasn't as "disgusting" as people have said. It also seemed necessary since the scene is sort of a climactic retrospective by Miracleman on everything thats led up to this point and what this baby means. It should have been "graphic". Oh and the ending of #9...MIRACLEBABY!

By the way, my next article for my school's newspaper is going to be on Miracleman. I've already begun writing it.

moonmaster said:
Well, I read Batman: Year One and in the hardcover they said they recolored it because at the time they could only produce 60 colors on the type of paper they used. Thats why so many comics from back then feature a bit less texture in the colors and more panels that are just sort of colored over.
That was the case back then, but not the whole reason why Miracleman's colours were more limited. The early issues of Miracleman reprinted the story's first printing as Marvelman in the British magazine Warrior (the same is true for V for Vendetta) - and that was in black and white. When a comic is specifically drawn for black and white, you add a lot more shading effects; that's why comics drawn for coloured strips and then decoloured (Marvel Essentials) often feel a little "off", and why ones which have gone the other way sometimes look messy. You've got to be a lot more delicate with adding colour to something with all that shading.

Oh, and just to let you know, one Marvelman chapter from Warrior has NEVER been reprinted in the U.S.

moonmaster said:
I just finished 6,7, and 9. I skipped #8 because according to everything I've read online, its just reprints.

It totally is, and I forgot.

moonmaster said:
Observations:

-Miracledog is sweet.
-Poor, poor Cream.:(

:(

moonmaster said:
-Poor, poor Mike too. I'm starting to really feel bad for him. He knows that he and Miracleman aren't really the same person, which means that hes just a puny, insignificant human. Not only is he only a human (a weak and cowardly one, at that), but Liz's baby is Miracleman's and not his. It was Miracleman who was there for the birth, not him.

Both the sub-plots of Mike vs Miracleman and Miracleman vs Liz each have a beautiful tear-jerker of an ending.

moonmaster said:
By the way, my next article for my school's newspaper is going to be on Miracleman. I've already begun writing it.

Cool. I wanna read it. But don't do it before you read #16.

Ultimate Gambit said:
I have only got number one so far

Have the others not arrived, or have you not downloaded them yet?

Stuart said:
Oh, and just to let you know, one Marvelman chapter from Warrior has NEVER been reprinted in the U.S.

Really? A Moore chapter? Nuts. I wannit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back