Runaways Vol. 2 #1-24 (Brian K. Vaughan/Adrian Alphona) (spoilers)

This came out today? Oh man, I got to go out Saturday and pick it up. I love the Runaways.

i won't be able to get this till 2morrow, work #$%$@#^%$&%^, but i'm looking forward to it...

It's a terrific comic.

Absolutely enchanting. Not only do we get action, humour, superheroes and superpowers, but we get real character revelations. I already feel like I know these characters after just three issues.

And, my God, do the creative love these characters. Having the owner of a genetically-engineered dinosaur not actually know what kind of dinosaur she has, having two girls tell each other how nice their hair is instead of fighting, Chamber's 'Britishness'... each character, of which there is over a dozen gets a chance to showcase themselves in all their glory. Beautifully succinct and effective.

It's a terrific comic.

As for the father - it doesn't say where he is, and I thought it might be Doom, but I really don't know. Skulls on the throne, the clock, the Christian imagery of his mother... I seriously don't know who the hell it is.

Bass said:
As for the father - it doesn't say where he is, and I thought it might be Doom, but I really don't know. Skulls on the throne, the clock, the Christian imagery of his mother... I seriously don't know who the hell it is.
Welcome to the club.

"The greatest evil in the universe"... and it's feckin' Klaw, or Dr Demonicus.

I dunno.

I think it's ol' Doomey.

I think the antiquity of the clock and phone indicates something. There must be some marvel villain with an origin in the 1800s.

I keep thinking of Sinister, but that doesn't seem right.

DigiEmissary said:
I think the antiquity of the clock and phone indicates something. There must be some marvel villain with an origin in the 1800s.
It could just be that he collects antiques...

Maybe a magical villain like Mordo? But yeah, I think the chair and clock are very carefully chosen so we have a hint. Obviously, none of us geeks here know who it is... but.... Clock = Time = Travel = Kang. Case closed. :crazy:

Bass said:
Maybe a magical villain like Mordo? But yeah, I think the chair and clock are very carefully chosen so we have a hint. Obviously, none of us geeks here know who it is... but.... Clock = Time = Travel = Kang. Case closed. :crazy:
I'd be convinced it was Kang, if only he weren't the major villain in two other ongoing 616 story arcs (in Young Avengers and Marvel Knights 4, for those of you not collecting those titles). That just seems like over-kill after several years of relative inactivity in the MU.

Did anybody else think the golden motif of the items was significant?

Is Baron Strucker a possibility? I know he's been considered an 'A-lister', at one point, so there wouldn't be any credibility problem there...

My guess is that Victor's dad-- whoever it is -- will NOT have a connection to the different 'worlds' represented by the Pride/the Runways (i.e. NOT magical, NOT science-based, NOT mutant, NOT an alien, and NOT a time-traveller). Since Alex is not a member of the group at the moment, it would make sense for Victor's dad to be someone crime-related, adding strength to the Kingpin argument. BUT unless Ms. Mancha is hiding something about her past, there would be no reason for Victor to have such powerful abilities, if Fisk was really his father.

I Love Runaways (a couple of spoilers)

I just started reading the first volume and I only just managed to stop myself at #8. I love this book. It's terrific. I recommend it highly (though, maybe just get the trades and don't do what I did - which is get all but three issues and then spend ages looking for them). Not only is it fresh and exciting, but its humble and funny.

One of the funnier scenes being when all the characters decided to choose their superhero codenames.

Actually, one of the funnier scenes is the first page of #1.

But yeah, I'm loving it. Even armed with... certain foreknowledge. I've read vol 2's first three issues so I know the Pride get extinguished in some fashion, and I know Topher and Alex aren't in the second volume... which means Alex is probably the mole?! Thankfully for you guys, I'm too far behind to do a "Alex Wilder Manfiesto".

But yeah, it's a terrifice book and well worth picking up. Let's share the love of Runaways! I know there's a whole bunch of you out there who love it. Post away...

Yeah, I read the first 6 issues at school in the digest and it was cool. Great writing and great art. I'm waiting for the school to pick up the rest of them...

Runaways #4 Discussion (Spoilers)

This was a pretty good issue but was more like a filler.

Darkhawk & Company are licking their wounds and we get some interesting character development with Darkhawk. He admits that he's losing control of himself. I wonder just how long these guys will stay in this title. I'm interested. Still no word on the benefactor.

The Runaways are simply back at the tar pits going over every possible super-villain that could be Victor's father. Nothing to it but still good dialogue and pretty cool use of their parents tech.

The very end reveals who the villain is and unless there are any twists....

it's Dr. Doom!!! I don't know if I care that much. Kinda wish it was someone else.

Are you sure Dr. Doom is really Victor's father?

Runaways #4
Written by Brian K. Vaughan
Penciled by Adrian Alphona
Cover by Jo Chen
Racing back to their new secret hideout beneath the La Brea Tar Pits, the Runaways must decide whether the dangerous Victor Mancha is going to be their first prisoner, or their newest member. Plus, a major Marvel Universe villain shows up claiming to be Vic's father... but is he telling the truth? Part 4 (of 6)
32 PGS./Marvel PSR …$2.99

*edit*
Ahhh didn't read that bit about the possible twist in your post.

Last edited:
eroz said:
Are you sure Dr. Doom is really Victor's father?

*edit*
Ahhh didn't read that bit about the possible twist in your post.

That's why I thought the WHose Victor's Daddy thread should've been kept open. Two explainations...

1. That's not Doom under that mask.

2. The Child isn't Doom's but Doom experimented on him (i.e. Ultiamte Gandalf) and the child is "owned" by Doom.

Latest posts

Back