Secret Invasion discussion [Spoilers]

How would you rate Secret Invasion?

• Total voters
Yeah. It's just something that I thought of quickly. "Kill/imprison Reed Richards and take his home."

It's not the best idea/explanation, but at least it's more suitable than what Bendis used.

Well the white settlers stole North America from the natives because they thought God told them to, its not that unbelievable.

Now as the Hood and his gang done anything interesting with regards to fighting the Skrulls, I liked it in the last episode of JLU, where the villains and heroes were in individual teams fighting Darkseid's forces, using their powers to fight Parademons.

Last edited:
Totally agree.

I thought this WHOLE idea tanked when the Skrulls show up in Manhattan.

Bendis doesn't know how to end his stories. It's rare when his ending isn't a deus ex machina.

The whole Skrull conspiracy was an interesting one that he supposedly set up way back in Disassembled or something. And he did have some interesting plays throughout, and the growing sense of paranoia wasn't bad at all except for the occasional "Bendis breakdown" (when a character written by Bendis has an inner conflict it leads to him yelling and being absolutely crazy, no matter what the conflict is).

But it seemed to me, this whole story arc was "The enemy can shapeshift to look like anyone and copy their powers." Yes, he had to handwave the whole "Why can't Wolverine detect them" issue (the answer is science!) but that was okay. The whole thing was "SECRET Invasion". The Skrulls were conquering the planet without us even realising they were there.

And it made a lot of sense. The Skrulls WOULD be an invisible controlling force. We know this because Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch already did this in The Ultimates.

So when the cliffhanger of #2 (or #3) has the Skrulls invading Manhattan in brightly coloured costumes, I lost all interest in downloading the comic because for some reason, on the cusp of victory, the Skrulls went, "RAR! NOW WE REVEAL OURSELVES SO YOU CAN BEAT US UP!" It's a SECRET invasion, remember? The only reason the Chitauri had spaceships is because they were losing an intergalactic war and had to blow up the Earth and go to another dimension. They revealed themselves on Earth because they were about to blow it up on their way OUT. Here, the Skrulls reveal themselves as they show up to take over the world. Gone is the interesting paranoia in the wake of Civil War, gone is the "Who do you trust?" element, replaced with a crappy War of the Worlds + Top Trumps = Franchise formula.

Tog, what you're saying about guerrilla warfare... What if Tony Stark discovered that the Initiative is almost nothing but Skrulls? He finds out that, oh I don't know, 90% of the Initiative's heroes are SKRULLS. And NO ONE believes him. He loses SHIELD. The one place to turn? Those New Avengers and their friends he's been hunting. The heroes go underground and have to fight the whole damn world. They don't have to just beat an alien invasion - they have to prove their IS one. The Skrulls actually show up on Earth and ask the UN if they can live on... I dunno, the Moon. Their world has been destroyed, and in exchange for the Moon they'll share technology. Because half the UN are Skrulls the motion is passed. Skrull culture starts to show up in human society (like those ads in the Marvel comics show) and so on and so on. Racism. Paranoia. Who are the heroes?

No. Big battle royales we've seen a thousand times before.

This needs to be a What If?

"What If the Secret Invasion Stayed Secret?"

(You know one's coming. Might as well make it a quality idea.)

Last edited:
secretinvasion.jpg

Too bad I'm not getting them all.

Why would they put names on only some of them? It ruins it.

It looks like they didn't want to cover up part of that picture.

I won't be picking up any of them. If the finale is decent I might pick up the hardcover of the main series when it comes out in a few months, but that's it.

I'll be getting the main series.

Nova (Cause the series rocks)
Incredible Hercules (which was a pretty original idea of Earth Gods vs Skrull Gods)
Front Line
Runaways/Young Avengers (I love seeing these two teaming up)
Inhumans (Cause it continuing plot points from earlier minis and may led into War Of Kings)
Thor & X-men (Because both was just big battles against Skrulls but was better written.)

Maybe both New Avengers & Mighty Avenger tie-ins. Some were really bad and some were good.

I have to see what is collected in the misc ones.

#8 is what you expect it to be. Thor defeats Wasp with wind or something, lots of people fight again, SHIELD is disbanded and Osborn is given leadership of some new organisation with the Thunderbolts as his soldiers.

Question: is everyone ****ing retarded?

The last page was good though. It's a shame we had to go through hundreds of issues which had boring Skrulls and lame fights to get this. Let's start concentrating on the villains again.

#8 is what you expect it to be. Thor defeats Wasp with wind or something, lots of people fight again, SHIELD is disbanded and Osborn is given leadership of some new organisation with the Thunderbolts as his soldiers.

Question: is everyone ****ing retarded?

The last page was good though. It's a shame we had to go through hundreds of issues which had boring Skrulls and lame fights to get this. Let's start concentrating on the villains again.

I agree. Despite my interest in this Osbourne agency....I can't help but think "All that...for this?"
The invasion had No point at all. Even all the old heroes, INCLUDING MOCKINGBIRD, appear alive and well.

Sigh.

gobby in charge of everything apperreantly with VILLUMINATI...
great...old school

hope they'll spend a lot of effort on capturing spidey due to osborn's obsession about him.we might finally read some fun stuff on ASM

I agree. Despite my interest in this Osbourne agency....I can't help but think "All that...for this?"
The invasion had No point at all. Even all the old heroes, INCLUDING MOCKINGBIRD, appear alive and well.

Sigh.

Agreed. The end result seems to be

a) put the VILLUMINATI, which Issued so brilliantly put it, in charge of everything, which is kind of cool, but has nothing to do with a Skrull invasion

b) knock Tony down a few pegs, which has nothing to do with a Skrull invasion

c) kill Wasp, which has nothing to do with a Skrull invasion

I actually liked the end and am interested in seeing where things go. I like that Wasp is dead - I've never liked her. But I can't for the life of me figure out what happened with her. I don't think she exploded - it looked like she just grew and was sucking the life force out of people or something. But it made no sense.

But the ending was such a non sequitur. I would have preferred something related to Skrulls, but it's just like they were trying to pull out all of the stops in order to pull one over on the readers.

a) put the VILLUMINATI, which Issued so brilliantly put it, in charge of everything, which is kind of cool, but has nothing to do with a Skrull invasion

I prefer "illuminaughty," myself.

Secret Invasion was a total heartbreaker, I don't think this is the plot they have been preparing for the last 4 years on every single comic book marvel has released on 616 universe...

The main comic was very boring until the last pages of Secret Invasion #8 and the tie-ins were not above average comics except of Deadpool training Skrulls to destroy each other (which was the only fun thing to read on anything related to the invasion).

On the other hand I loved how heroes turned their backs to Tony Stark, especially the way Thor has behaved was top class...It was a moment I wanted to see ever since Clone-Thor has apeared

And for Dark Reign,
somehow I know Marvel will continue their awfully awful story telling.

I will never read nice stories about how returning captured heroes adapt themselves to the new status-quo...
Iron Man will be fighting random villains just because he is the "most wanted", and he will never have a great "fall"
Most boringly the gobby-hates-spidey plot will never be told as great as I would like it to be, eventhough it has such a great possibility to be the next big thing on Spidey saga...

still... Dark Reign is the first interesting thing since Civil War, and I will probably read many of the related titles eventhough they will never satisfy my need to read great comics...

Latest posts

Back