Has he used Jewish expletives yet when dodging projectiles thrown at him by bad guys?

MANISCHEWITZ!

is this what people think? really? because i find miles to be his own character, and a dynamic one at that.

It's definitely what I think. I can't see anything new in him. At the end of SPIDER-MEN, when the two Spidey's are saying goodbye, I forgot he was Miles and thought he was Peter until I stopped and went, "Oh yeah, he's some other guy."

Last edited:
The problem is, any "nice" super hero with a strong moral compass is going to seem similar. In stories like this, you have to look at the details. Spider-men didn't do that, so they feel same-y, but the core of Miles' experiences - and, indeed, his development as a budding superhero - are completely different from Peter's. He's not a carbon copy - not even close. So I think it's truly, deeply a shame that this miniseries didn't capitalize on that more, and that anybody experiencing Miles through it would be led to believe that.

All SPIDER-MEN did for me was reaffirm a sense in me that it was an attempt to legitimize the fanfiction that is Miles Morales. There is nothing in Miles that isn't in Peter. They're identical.

They are definitely similar but identical? I don't think so. And I think the similarities are forgivable because it's clear that the aim was not to recreate Spider-Man - how could you really recreate Spider-Man anyway? If it is a version of Spider-Man then a lot of the core concepts are going to stay the same.

The aim was to tell the story using the character in a different setting; in this case, a young black kid. I think the way they used his Uncle is proof that this was the idea - to tell the story using a different "type" of Peter Parker. That might not be good enough for you to validate, but I really like it. To me, that's EXACTLY what the Ultimate line is about. At the very least it's interesting, and at best it's inspirational.

Also known as being "Afro-Latino"... Now you know.

"Afrotino", surely.

The aim was to tell the story using the character in a different setting; in this case, a young black kid. I think the way they used his Uncle is proof that this was the idea - to tell the story using a different "type" of Peter Parker. That might not be good enough for you to validate, but I really like it. To me, that's EXACTLY what the Ultimate line is about. At the very least it's interesting, and at best it's inspirational.

I don't find it even interesting. :-/

Captain Canuck said:
The way that was left off... they're totally going to do something with it. Lame.

Yeap. Bendis just tweeted:

"Those wondering about the end of Spider-Men, you will get your answers."

Ice said:

I wonder how much Dan Slott is on board with this. It seems like Spider-Men affected the Ultimate universe way more than it affected 616 Spidey. Besides the fact that 616 Mysterio is now in custody in the Ultimate universe, I don't see this having any impact whatsoever on what Slott is doing in Amazing Spider-Man. I would actually be very surprised if they brought it up there. I'm sure the "big shocking reveal" about 616 Miles Morales will be addressed by Bendis in Ultimate Spider-Man or another future miniseries.

The ending was a total cop out. This was not a complete story, and aside from the GREAT scene with Miles and Aunt May the whole thing was awful - definitely one of Bendis's worst works. Complete crap made worse by a lazy, stupid ending.

I'm actually interested in finding out what Miles is in 616, but to not give the reader anything of substance to look forward to is terrible writing.

I can't believe a guy that writes stuff like this and pulls stunts like this actually gets work teaching writing! That's unbelievable to me.

I know. I know. What's worse is, he goes around preaching about McKee and puts stuff like this out. It's embarrassing.

The sequel has got to be Miles going to the Marvel Universe and meeting Spider-Ock and his 616 self.

This isn't news. The first one didn't have an ending. Of course there was going to be a sequel. The end of the first one was basically "TO BE CONTINUED" without using those exact words.

Now I'm angry at what a hack Bendis is all over again. I had settled down about this and forgotten about it.

This. If there are questions that need to be answered in order to complete the story then IT'S NOT THE END YOU IDIOT.

ProjectX2 said:
The sequel has got to be Miles going to the Marvel Universe and meeting Spider-Ock and his 616 self.

It might be set before Ock took over his body.

This isn't news. The first one didn't have an ending. Of course there was going to be a sequel. The end of the first one was basically "TO BE CONTINUED" without using those exact words.

Not always, some times stories just get dropped.

It might be set before Ock took over his body.

Or the two Miles might be the reason Peter and Otto switch back.

This. If there are questions that need to be answered in order to complete the story then IT'S NOT THE END YOU IDIOT.

It's not that the story didn't end. It did. It could have been wrapped up nicely. But Bendis doesn't like concluding a stories and moving on. So he had to introduce a new plot threat at the end that was completely open ended so he could leave it dangling. I honestly think he has no idea what he's doing most of the time, he just thinks, "What can I include that's vaguely mysterious enough that I can make people wonder whats going on, and open-ended enough that I don't need to decide where it's going yet?" Then he tries to tie it all together later, telling people it's been planned out since the first issue, but he usually does such a sloppy job that its obvious it wasn't planned out from the beginning (I'm looking at you Secret Invasion!)

I feel like this has mostly worked for USM (although its been frustrating at times b/c certain things were never addressed) but it hasn't rally been a good thing in any of his other books - except for maybe seeing the ongoing character stories of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back