Is that from Spider-Men #2 or #3? It said #3 at the top of each page, but the "classified" panels said to check out #2. And considering that #2 hasn't come out yet, I wonder if that is actually from the next issue and not #3...

Re: Spider-Men (Discussion/spoilers)

Is that from Spider-Men #2 or #3? It said #3 at the top of each page, but the "classified" panels said to check out #2. And considering that #2 hasn't come out yet, I wonder if that is actually from the next issue and not #3...

I'm thinking #3. It seem's to early to show Ultimate Mysterio. The "Check Out Issue #2." Could just be an ad. Or it could be just at the very end of issue #2.

Last edited:

Remember when they said the Ultimate universe and the 616 universe would NEVER cross over, absolutely NEVER, because that'd mean Marvel, the House of Ideas, had run out of good ideas?

Yeah. I can accept the charming aspect of two different Spidey's meeting up, even the emotional gravitas of the Ult version of Peter Parker being dead and the 616 Parker dealing with that, but they've shot themself in the foot. I haven't even read it, but the concept alone pisses me off a bit.

E said:
And here's my problem with the crossover - it's already dumb. A mysterious secret portal in a warehouse? Really? That's how we're doing this?

Why bother with logical or thought out story-telling when you can have TWO overly-talky Spider-Mens in ONE book?!?

Sorry, I'm bitter.

DIrishB said:
Remember when they said the Ultimate universe and the 616 universe would NEVER cross over, absolutely NEVER, because that'd mean Marvel, the House of Ideas, had run out of good ideas?

Yeah. I can accept the charming aspect of two different Spidey's meeting up, even the emotional gravitas of the Ult version of Peter Parker being dead and the 616 Parker dealing with that, but they've shot themself in the foot. I haven't even read it, but the concept alone pisses me off a bit.

Why bother with logical or thought out story-telling when you can have TWO overly-talky Spider-Mens in ONE book?!?

Sorry, I'm bitter.

That's pretty much how I feel. And the first issue wasn't good enough or clever enough to suggest it will get better as it goes on.

#2 was more of what you'd expect. It turns out Mysterio isn't Ultimate Mysterio who discovered the 616 world, but the other way around...So I guess it still doesn't explain how he came back from being dead.

Looks like some action will happen in #3 finally.

I haven't read this and I just don't understand how deluded Bendis can be: He has written Spider-Man consecutively for a decade, kills him off, and then replaces him with a carbon copy with whom he spends every issue telling us how awesome the old Spidey was and how this new one has to be like the real, awesome sauce Spidey, then he has the even more really real Spidey show up so the new Spidey can ask the better Spidey how to be more like him.

He clearly wants to write Peter Parker and prefers him enormously to Miles. He hasn't even gone a year without bringing (a) Peter Parker back into that world. Why kill him in the first place?

I just don't like how Peter Parker is written in this.

And the entire story feels like fan fiction my 9-year old would write.

If Spidey just woke up in a parallel world where he had died, this story would be the same. It's virtue of being the Ultimate Universe has no bearing on it; it's like any of a thousand BRAVE NEW WORLD rip-offs.

I just read #3

I think the best part about this minseries is Mysterio. It's kind of cool that Ultimate Mysterio is actually an avatar of 616 Mysterio. The rest of the book is okay, but nothing special. Except for when Spider-Miles called him Myisterioso, that was humorous.

So I've been reading this, just finished #3. While I was resistant to the idea, and not been too impressed by the first two issues, the third issue ended on a pretty gut-wrenching note, and definitely has me looking forward to #4. Peter Parker (616) finds out his Ultimate counterpart has died, and returns to the Ultimate residence of Aunt May and Gwen Stacy, where the issue ends. I was impressed with the toned down yet still thick tones of emotion, and can't wait to see how Bendis addresses the (weird) reunion not only between Ult Aunt May and 616 Peter, but 616 Peter and the Ult version of Gwen Stacy, the 616 version of which has been dead for years in his universe. Its simple on the surface, but I do look forward to seeing it addressed in the next issue.

Still not jazzed about the Ult and 616 universes crossing over, but with the last issue I'm warming up to the idea.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't May and Gwen in France or did they return in issue 12? I haven't gotten to that issue yet.

We have two Spider-Men threads, one here and one in the Spider-Man forum.

Did a mod already take care of this? I just looked for the one in the Spider-Man forum and couldn't find it.

A few days ago I moved the one that was in the General Marvel forum to the Spider-Man forum because it seemed like a better place for it...

"This is Fury, code name one eyed-eagle."

Isn't the point of a code name that you aren't giving out your real name?

I also love that #3 had a variation of the awful "You just don't get it, do you?" line.

Just was reading some of the posts here... It's funny watching you guys turn around on this book. Seeing as I was ok with it from the start, I've found it to be good and got damn has it been getting better each issue. This last issue #4... ugh, had me fighting back tears like I was watching Toy Story or something... So emotional! Anyway, I'm digging this mini. Also, Ultimate Spidey has continued to be just amazing... It gives me that feeling I was having when Ultimate Spidey first came out - just great spiderman stories that are completely new and different, yet somewhat familiar.

Latest posts

Back