I think most were resistant to the idea because it was something they specifically said they'd never do. I'm not happy they did it, but I am enjoying the ride.

I just worry we'll see Avengers/Ultimates, Uncanny/Ultimate Xmen crossovers, since this one broke the ice. I really hope it's a one-time thing, but know in my gut it won't be. Despite all the early expoundations of integrity and keeping the 616 and Ultimate universes separate, they resorted to the tired interdimensional crossover gag that usually results in crap stories. Granted, Ult Peter Parker's death, and 616 Peters meeting Ult Gwen and Aunt May was worth a read, but I'm under no illusion the next and final issue will send 616 Peter back to his own universe and Mysterio will get beat up. It's just wholly predictable and only slightly worthwhile (relating to the 616 Peter and Ult May and Gwen meeting). Issue 4 was really the only redeeming one of the bunch so far.

There is good reason to not only be reluctant it's happening, but not be that blown away by it either. Just sayin'.

DIrishB said:
There is good reason to not only be reluctant it's happening, but not be that blown away by it either. Just sayin'.

Well, I disagree since the whole mini has been excellent and it's a great anniversary special.

And what they said is that they wouldn't do a crossover unless they had a good story and this has been an excellent story.

Last edited:
I largely agree with DIrishB - it has its excellent moments, but beyond those, it's kind of...forgettable. My two biggest complaints is that it's not really focusing on Miles at all, and I'm not sure where in the larger scheme of things this is supposed to be taking place. I mean, when he meets with May and Gwen in issue 13 of the main series, it seems like he's meeting them for the first time, so is this after that? But isn't she giving him Stark's webshooters this arc? I dunno.

But yeah, those bits with 616 Peter at May's house were fantastic. And Fury's little exchange with Peter:
Miles: "Hey, do they have a Nick Fury where you come from?"
Peter: "Oh yes."
Fury: "Oh yeah? What's he like?"
Peter: "Uh, white."
Fury: "Sorry to hear that"

:D:D:D

Venom Melendez said:
Well, I disagree since the whole mini has been excellent and it's a great anniversary special.

And what they said is that they wouldn't do a crossover unless they had a good story and this has been an excellent story.

Quesada specifically said the Ultimate and 616 verse would never cross over since that would be a sign they'd run out of ideas. A play on Marvel being the House of Ideas and all.

Granted, there is some decent emotional gravity with Ult Peter Parker's death and 616 Peter's meeting with Miles, May, and Gwen. I am enjoying the story so far, but it rankles me they went back on their word.

Zeek said:
I largely agree with DIrishB - it has its excellent moments, but beyond those, it's kind of...forgettable. My two biggest complaints is that it's not really focusing on Miles at all, and I'm not sure where in the larger scheme of things this is supposed to be taking place. I mean, when he meets with May and Gwen in issue 13 of the main series, it seems like he's meeting them for the first time, so is this after that? But isn't she giving him Stark's webshooters this arc? I dunno.

But yeah, those bits with 616 Peter at May's house were fantastic. And Fury's little exchange with Peter:
Miles: "Hey, do they have a Nick Fury where you come from?"
Peter: "Oh yes."
Fury: "Oh yeah? What's he like?"
Peter: "Uh, white."
Fury: "Sorry to hear that"

:D:D:D

I believe it's supposed to occur after the current Divided We Fall arcs. We'll see about the web shooters.

http://actioncomics.tumblr.com/post...ada-has-reiterated-his-earlier-claim-that-the

He did say it. No mention of the validity of the story overcoming that rule, so not sure where you got that, Venom Melendez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I don't really like that this series exists, and for the most part it has been pretty uninteresting, #4 was pretty darn good. The emotional aspect of the meeting with Peter and May...he completely knocked it out of the park. Extremely well done. If I wasn't a cold emotionless robot I would even say I was moved by it.

It feels like its been a while since we've seen Bendis write emotion between characters this well.

...he completely knocked it out of the park. Extremely well done. If I wasn't a cold emotionless robot I would even say I was moved by it.

It feels like its been a while since we've seen Bendis write emotion between characters this well.

Not to mention Pichelli's is a genius on the pencil work. She nails every scene. Drags you right into the character work. But yea definitely had to look away from the page a couple times.. what with all those emotions it was trying to make me spill.

Not to mention Pichelli's is a genius on the pencil work. She nails every scene. Drags you right into the character work. But yea definitely had to look away from the page a couple times.. what with all those emotions it was trying to make me spill.

The way she conveys emotion in characters' faces reminds me a lot of Olivier Coipel.

Now that it's over. And we know that there is A Miles in the Marvel U. Who do you think he is? Good Guy, bad guy, works at Horizon Labs too?

the watcher said:
Now that it's over. And we know that there is A Miles in the Marvel U. Who do you think he is? Good Guy, bad guy, works at Horizon Labs too?

I haven't read it yet but I figured they would do that. I hope they don't ever ever ever show him again and just leave it as a cool alternate universe nod.

I haven't read it yet but I figured they would do that. I hope they don't ever ever ever show him again and just leave it as a cool alternate universe nod.

that was pretty cool the way they ended it with the "miles is in 616 too!" thing. i really enjoyed this series... Easily one of the best spidey stories i've ever read.

Completely agreed. Cool little idea - leave it at that.

Well I do root for the "Evil Empire" in baseball after all. :wink:

That only makes you bad if you're not from New York... and I guess New Jersey and Delaware are forgivable too.

The Red Sox on the other hand... they don't share their brownies so they just suck.

So I finished reading this and I just think it's so... switch Miles for Peter and everything pretty much stays the same. All the emotional roller coast stuff for Peter is the same because instead of Peter being dead, Gwen is dead. In fact, wouldn't that be more effective? Think about it: Peter Parker goes to an alternate world where he's still a teenager and dating Gwen Stacy with their whole lives ahead of them. How does Peter not encounter that set up and not just break inside?

All SPIDER-MEN did for me was reaffirm a sense in me that it was an attempt to legitimize the fanfiction that is Miles Morales. There is nothing in Miles that isn't in Peter. They're identical.

What annoys me is that I can immediately think of an example where the superhero was rebooted with a younger version, a different character, and it felt like a different character. BATMAN BEYOND. Remember that? Terry McGuinness was Batman but not Bruce Wayne. And Bruce Wayne was in every episode and he didn't feel like 'fanfiction'. He felt like his own guy (the only real flaw with it was that BATMAN BEYOND took place in the future, I think had it taken place in the present day and Bruce Wayne was still old, the idea being that Bruce was Batman back in 1939 and he's aged with the times, it would've felt more 'legitimate'). Miles Morales, on the other hand, spends every episode saying, "Wasn't Peter Parker amazing, and I'm so not like him" while being identical to him in every way.

Here's how you make Miles different to Peter: make Miles cool. Not super cool, but somewhat popular and friendly and active. And make Spider-Man a total loser that no one wants to be around. It makes sense; Peter Parker just died so him being Spidey is in bad taste. It's already there. But no, instead you have Miles being uncool both as Miles and he's boring as Spidey because everyone's seen it before and he's not as good. The police aren't after him because they all liked the original and the Ultimates are all, "Hey, let's not get this one killed and look after him all the time". When he's Spidey he's all business and professional because he takes it seriously, but when he's Miles he's fun. But no. Bendis has said "the heart of Spidey is that he's a wise-cracker and beneath the mask he's an everyman geek". Well, in which case, why kill him off and replace him with a carbon copy? Utterly pointless.

Well, in which case, why kill him off and replace him with a carbon copy? Utterly pointless.

is this what people think? really? because i find miles to be his own character, and a dynamic one at that.

Latest posts

Back