Action Comics is good but needs a better artist, Animal Man and Swamp Thing continue to be the best of the entire relaunch and Stormwatch is getting better but still has a long way to go.

I haven't read Batwing or Men of War (which I keep wanting to call Men at Work) yet.

In general I love Rags Morales, but every issue of Action has something I hate in it. I don't know if its production schedule (doubt it. He did 26 out of 27 issues of Hourman) or the inker or what.

Animal Man is incredible because it reads like a mid-80s Alan Moore story. To me anyway. It's just so weird in a non-linear way. I can't tell where the story is going next, and that's a good thing. It's already unpredictable and feels like things are being set up for a huge encompassing plot.

Animal Man is incredible because it reads like a mid-80s Alan Moore story. To me anyway. It's just so weird in a non-linear way. I can't tell where the story is going next, and that's a good thing. It's already unpredictable and feels like things are being set up for a huge encompassing plot.

and the art is great.

The expression on Maxine's face as she cuddles Mrs. Pickles the Cat Skeleton is just priceless. I'm not familiar with Travel Foreman but he draws great faces.

Hm.... So, I was going to review the first issues of the 52, but then I read a few of the number two issues.... I feel like I may wait until the end of the month, after I've evaluated all of them, before I cast judgment.

Just had a chance to read Animal Man #1-2. Jesus, it was creepy... and I loved it. Travel Foreman's art is unique, and seems to fit the weird tone of this book perfectly. The writing is strange, but in a good way. Its different, but the characters and their motivations are still relatable, and as E said, its anyone's guess as to where this story is headed, both in the short and long term. Fantastic stuff, surely.

This and Action Comics are probably my favorite New 52 titles so far. Swamp Thing is a close second.

Zombipanda said:
2013, the same month as the next issue of All-Star Batman and Robin and Doktor Sleepless.

No it actually comes out week three of this month (month two)

So I've been reading Resurrection Man vol 1 because it's written by Dan and Lanning, who I love.

I have a question, the Supergirl in that book had flame wings, and it confused me on why she did.

I've noticed that they have the whole Heaven and Hell thing over his soul in this volume as well, though it's not as pronounced as it was in the first issue of the second volume.

Also, they had a comic with Phantom Stranger, Dead Man, Cain and Abel within the House of Mystery. It was an amazing issue.

I just read Voodoo and it was pretty good.

I also read Justice League Dark and really liked it.

Zombipanda said:
ooooooooooh.....

Really?

Yeah the guy who sells me comics told me. He said that dc wanted justice league to be the first number one they put out, but when the number 2's started coming they moved it to a week three comic.

Yeah the guy who sells me comics told me. He said that dc wanted justice league to be the first number one they put out, but when the number 2's started coming they moved it to a week three comic.

I see!!

Well, don't let anyone ever say I'm not willing to admit when I'm wrong.

I stand corrected on my perfectly sincere comment!

;) Also, welcome to the forum.

Zombipanda said:
I see!!

Well, don't let anyone ever say I'm not willing to admit when I'm wrong.

I stand corrected on my perfectly sincere comment!

;) Also, welcome to the forum.

Haha thanks

Can someone please explain to me how swamp thing is a great comic? I just can't see it being a monthly comic.

Can someone please explain to me how swamp thing is a great comic? I just can't see it being a monthly comic.

The art's incredible and it's building up to be a great horror book. Scott Snyder tends to be a great writer in general so that helps too.

It's a comic with a prestigious history, both as a flagship of the Vertigo line and as one of the early magnum opi of Alan Moore.

There's a dense history open to exploration, allowing, hypothetically, years of storytelling.

It's being written by one of comics' biggest rising stars, a guy who's become both a critical darling for his work at Vertigo (American Vampire) and a reliable moneymaker for publishing the best selling book of the 52 relaunch (Batman), outstripping even Justice League, which is supposed to be the flagship and which was fittingly packed with DC's two big "all stars".

It also happens to be one of the better books of the launch. And given Snyder's status as a critical and commercial darling, I doubt it will be cancelled even if sales aren't that hot. Honestly, I can't see how thing book could fail.

That said, given how everything seems to be stacked in this book's favor, I'm actually a little disappointed with it. It's good, definitely, and easily better than most of the standard fare being published, but it wasn't as great as I expected it to be, given the pedigree. I'll continue buying it, and I think it's a good book, but I'm really the quality improves and we see Snyder weaving more and more depth into the story. I have hope, though. I trust the guy.

rvolker1204 said:

Are you talking specifically about the current series? Because if you have doubts they can run this as a monthly then, yeah, check out Alan Moore's run if you haven't.

Did you read it and not like it, or didn't get the hype?

Alan Moore

And Ritch Vietch. And Brain K Vaughan. Grant Morrison. Andy Diggle. Even Mark Millar. All writers who had runs on the monthly Swamp Thing book. Its still my favorite work of a lot of them too. Except Vaughan. That was some pretty bad comics.

Latest posts

Back