Transformers (cartoons)

Starscream Square Pants!

oooooooooooooooooooh......

Who lives in a Cybertron under the sea?
Starscream Square Pants!
Sneaky and sinister and evil is he!
Starscream Square Pants!
If transforming jetplanes is something you wish....
Starscream Square Pants!
Then drop on the deck and die like a *****!
Starscream Square Pants!
Starscream Square Pants!
Starscream Square Pants!
Starscream Square Pants!

You know what I like most about Animated?

The Megatron/Starscream realationship. It's just ****ing perfect.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IlzUClOrrVY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IlzUClOrrVY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

*goes off to find ending credits scene of S2*

That is stupid.

Starscream was never a goofy idiot.

That is stupid.

Starscream was never a goofy idiot.

Actually, he's probably the most capable Starscream's ever been.

In the first episode, he nearly kills Megatron by strapping a bomb to his back. He's able to defeat the Autobots single-handedly. Heck, he even builds the Seekers single-handedly and nearly kills everyone if not for Omega Supreme. He's not so much goofy as he is incapable of taking Megatron in a fair fight.

Also, in that clip, there was no Benny Hill music originally, just a voice over of Megatron rallying his troops. I just got this because I thought it was funnier.

But he would never engage Megatron in a fair fight, because he knows Megatron could defeat him.

He wouldn't sneak up behind him and attach a bomb to his back.

He would instead convince others to help him in a battle against Megatron.

Of course this is hardly ever shown in the cartoons. He was much more lethal in the comics.

Transformers Animated (spoilers)

So, I decided, out of curiosity, to watch a random episode of TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED.

I wanted to indulge my inner 6-year old and watch the awesome "Dare to Be Stupid" sequence from THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE. The 1986 animation.

As I saw it, there were links to the new TA Wreck-Gar and I saw a clip compilation. Not only did he say, "I dare to be stupid", and "Bah-weep-gra-na-weep-nini-bon" which are delightful homages, but he was voiced by Weird Al Yankovic (who sang Dare to Be Stupid), but he turned into a garbage truck. Old Wreck-Gar turned into a motorcycle, but this one turned into a garbage truck which makes a helluva lot more sense and is awesome.

Impressed with how much love they gave an old character, and they, in one way, improved him with simple elegance, I watched more episode.

I've ended up watching half a dozen or so and am ridiculously impressed.

There's enough of the old stuff that it "feels" like the old Transformers I grew up on, but it's also new enough that it's fresh, and well-written enough that it's engaging.

There are a couple of things that I find weird; Optimus Prime isn't the actual leader of the Autobots, others out-rank him. This is weird, but kinda awesome. I love that Optimus Prime is a black sheep in the Autobots. Less forgivable, is his mouth. It really irks me. I also dislike that Prowl looks nothing like the original Prowl. Should've just named him something else.

But then, I love how the Decepticons are actually far more powerful than the Autobots and a genuine threat. They actually TOWER over the Autobots (especially Megatron). That's great conflict right there. I also love how, somehow, they managed to resurrect Chris Latta and called him Tom Kenny to do Starscream's voice. His voice is perfect. And Starscream is brilliantly portrayed here.

Yet, what surprises me more, is the new characters invented purely for this show. Somehow, not only are they each wonderful, but they are so intrinsically "Transformers-esque" that I honestly feel like they've been part of the show since I was a kid. And the old ones have been improved immensely.

The new Prowl is great, but he irks me because he's not "Prowl". If they'd called him "Blackstar" or something, I'd have no problems at all. Lugnut is hysterical and I love him. Blitzwing now has character... three of them. And a crazy German accent. Ironhide now has an iron hide. Shockwave is terrific (and voiced by the original actor). I love Scrapper and Mixmaster, but am disappointed there's no Devastator.

But there three things that take the cake:

Starscream's five clones: Each is one aspect of his personality. One is a coward, the other an egotist, another a sycophant, another a pathological liar, and the last a woman, who points out "You don't want to know" what part of Starscream she represents. And it turns out, two of these are Skywarp and Thundercracker, and the other two look like Sunstorm and Ramjet which is brilliant. Oh, and all the clones possess Starscream's treachery. Oh, how I love these guys.

Sentinel Prime is The Tick, gorram it. He's not just the Tick, but he's a jerk who is continually mean to Optimus Prime yet outranks him. He hates organics, thinking they're covered in deadly germs. He's never fought anyone, and when he gets hit, he has a terrifically girlish scream. He's brilliant.

And Bulkhead. I love this guy. He's so unbelievably adorable.

Next time I'm in the US, I'm buying the season sets.

Hell, I'm tempted to buy the TOYS.

Rekindled my 6-year old self! YAY! :D

Re: Transformers Animated (spoilers)

THANK YOU.

This show is awesome and I don't understand why people say otherwise.

EDIT: Well, specifically, why they say otherwise and don't back it up with any support other then "it sucks."

Last edited:

I think my favorite episode is the one where Starscream learns he's immortal, thinks he has an advantage over Megatron...and then we're treated to a montage of Starscream sneaking up on Megatron, Megatron blowing him up, and Lugnut and Blitzwing throwing Screamy in a river. Over and over again.

Also, I like the cranky police guy.

This show is very, very good. I am sure a lot of fans had repercussions when they first saw the radical change in the art and design, it this series has proven to have been awesome. There hasn't really been a decent TF show since Beast Machines and all the Japan-made TF cartoons since then sucked *** or was mediocre and horribly cliched.

It has a very good storyline that at the same time is easy for kids to understand. There is a crapload of fanwank but at the same time modernizing it for the new millenium. The third season will be shown next year and more awesomeness is promised. There are already pics of Hot Rod (who is now Hawkeye/Green Arrow-esque, but closely resembles the original), some appearances from the Beast Wars characters and more. I just can't wait.

The only thing I didn't like was the filler episodes which usually put the focus on the human villains or the "monster-of-the-week" which isn't a Decepticon. I've been surprised though that the protagonist human characters are good, even Sari who was surprising not annoying and actually proved useful to the Autobots. Not to mention nods to the original Witwickys. This is the best TF animated series yet which blows G1 out of the water because of a fluid storyline aside from being fun for the kids, and rivals Beast Wars as well.

Last edited:

I...er...my son...has a bunch of the toys. We love them. We also have the season 1 DVD set.

It's a great show and I hate when the Transformers elitists (*snort*) hate on it.

I wish we still had Cartoon network, because I have to rely on downloads while I wait for the next DVD set.

Oh, and the toys are MUCH easier to transform than the current regular Transformers.

I'm trying to remember all of the ones we have...Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Grimlock, and a couple of the secondary characters.

I think my favorite episode is the one where Starscream learns he's immortal, thinks he has an advantage over Megatron...and then we're treated to a montage of Starscream sneaking up on Megatron, Megatron blowing him up, and Lugnut and Blitzwing throwing Screamy in a river. Over and over again.

It is totally one of the best montages ever.

The episode is also brilliant, if only for when Optimus goads Sentinel into attacking him, and then beats him easily, and all we here is Sentinel's girlish scream. :lol:

I think the episode was called Mission Accomplished.

This show is very, very good. I am sure a lot of fans had repercussions when they first saw the radical change in the art and design, it this series has proven to have been awesome. There hasn't really been a decent TF show since Beast Machines and all the Japan-made TF cartoons since then sucked *** or was mediocre and horribly cliched.

It has a very good storyline that at the same time is easy for kids to understand. There is a crapload of fanwank but at the same time modernizing it for the new millenium. The third season will be shown next year and more awesomeness is promised. There are already pics of Hot Rod (who is now Hawkeye/Green Arrow-esque, but closely resembles the original), some appearances from the Beast Wars characters and more. I just can't wait.

The only thing I didn't like was the filler episodes which usually put the focus on the human villains or the "monster-of-the-week" which isn't a Decepticon. I've been surprised though that the protagonist human characters are good, even Sari who was surprising not annoying and actually proved useful to the Autobots. Not to mention nods to the original Witwickys. This is the best TF animated series yet which blows G1 out of the water because of a fluid storyline aside from being fun for the kids, and rivals Beast Wars as well.

The Spike and Carlie pregnancy scene was so very funny.

I...er...my son...has a bunch of the toys. We love them. We also have the season 1 DVD set.

It's a great show and I hate when the Transformers elitists (*snort*) hate on it.

I wish we still had Cartoon network, because I have to rely on downloads while I wait for the next DVD set.

Oh, and the toys are MUCH easier to transform than the current regular Transformers.

I'm trying to remember all of the ones we have...Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Grimlock, and a couple of the secondary characters.

Your son needs Bulkhead because he is awesome. I was so tempted to buy the toy when I saw it.

Me love Grimlock!

Him no bozo, him king!

Animated is probably my favorite Transformers cartoon since Beast Wars. Its just so fun.

Any idea if Season 3 has been greenlit? They can't leave things as is.

I saw two episodes, the first I saw was actually really good and had great concepts about the leadership and ranking with the Autobots and the threat of the decepticon. Then the second was just so stupid and childish I couldn't even stand it.

Animated is probably my favorite Transformers cartoon since Beast Wars. Its just so fun.

Any idea if Season 3 has been greenlit? They can't leave things as is.

It already is. I really want this to go at least Season 5, since most animated series usually end there at the earliest if they are successful. They already sneak previewed two new characters, Hot Rod and Strika. I like how they're mixing Beast Wars characters and even Movie-inspired ones. There has already been shown the design for Blackout which looks like the movie version.

Your son needs Bulkhead because he is awesome. I was so tempted to buy the toy when I saw it.

There are two - there is a regular size and a leader class size that talks. He wants that one obviously but it's $40...kind of a lot.

Then the second was just so stupid and childish I couldn't even stand it.

Because you're a snob.

Is Bulkhead voiced by the guy who did Patrick in Spongebob Squarepants? Because that's hilarious.

Latest posts

Back