Re: Ultimate Power #9 Discussion (Spoilers)

A tiny part of me wants to have this just because I own every Ultimate collection (except Adventures which I have the issues of).

The rational part of me knows that's stupid.

If you buy Ultimate Power, I will come to your house, burn your comics and shut down the site.

If you buy Ultimate Power, I will come to your house, burn your comics and shut down the site.

Hopefully they'll fix it for the trade.

...and by "fix it for the trade" I mean ret-scrap it entirely and release it as a three-issue mini by Ellis.

A tiny part of me wants to have this just because I own every Ultimate collection (except Adventures which I have the issues of).

The rational part of me knows that's stupid.

UC Store is your friend.

I am so frickin' pissed about the continuity mishaps here... someone explain this for me:

Ultimate Power - Peter Parker and Kitty are still dating, Nick Fury is given to the Supremeverse at the end

USM: Ultimate Warriors (#106-110) - Pete is broken up with Kitty, Nick Fury is mentioned as being around and Pete is under his protection

How does that work?? Obviously Ultimate Power can't come before the Ultimate Warriors arc because they mention Fury as being around and it can't come after cause of the Kitty thing. So when the holy-hell does Ultimate Power take place??

I just finished reading this this morning. OH MY GOD.

It was terrible and I couldn't stop smacking my forehead and groaning in exasperation.

0/5.

Straczynski, Bendis and Loeb need to go back to writing school.

It's bizarre how some writers can work absolute gold with certain characters and fail so immensely with others. I mean, all three of these writers are people with great-to-excellent series to their name: Strazcynski has Thor, Bendis has USM (well, most of it's great, anyways), and Loeb has all that Batman stuff. What made them suck such serious *** with this?

What made them suck such serious *** with this?

1) the concept sucked. it was a dumb idea for a story.
2) the writers didn't work together. All three writers had their own agendas and used their three issues to push that agenda, resulting in a very fragmented story.
3) Loeb thinks that writing for the Ultimate Universe means throwing caution to the wind and just being as extreme and ridiculous as possible
4) to be honest Loeb's stuff has never been great. His Batman stuff is popular b/c it deals with Batman's early days and Tim Sale's art is cool. But the stories don't even make sense. (although I love Spider-Man: Blue)
5) Greg Land
6) editors at Marvel don't really edit unless some letterer puts in references to the tea party, then they edit it for the reprints and tpbs.

Last edited:
3) Loeb thinks that writing for the Ultimate Universe means throwing caution to the wind and just being as extreme and ridiculous as possible

That's exactly what happened, and exactly how they've been writing the UU since then.

I didn't think the concept sucked. The basic points: Reed fires probes against orders, gets framed for an epidemic and two dimensions conspire while there's a 'misunderstanding' between the superhumans of various dimensions. That, on its own is a fine concept, before the script got written.

In the end, we got a ridiculous story that kept on grinding to a halt because of unnecessary fight scenes and plot points became severely underdeveloped and there was absolutely no way for the readers to REALLY follow a trail of crumbs on what's going on.

Basically, the story was Things Happen While The Superhumans Aren't Looking Because They're Morons.

I didn't think the concept sucked. The basic points: Reed fires probes against orders, gets framed for an epidemic and two dimensions conspire while there's a 'misunderstanding' between the superhumans of various dimensions. That, on its own is a fine concept, before the script got written.
Thanks to Strazcynski.

In the end, we got a ridiculous story that kept on grinding to a halt because of unnecessary fight scenes and plot points became severely underdeveloped and there was absolutely no way for the readers to REALLY follow a trail of crumbs on what's going on.
Thanks to Loeb.

that wasn't the concept though. The concept was, "let's have a Ultimate U, Supremeverse crossover! That would be super cool!" You know that was the starting point. "Reed fires probes against orders, gets framed for an epidemic and two dimensions conspire while there's a 'misunderstanding' between the superhumans of various dimensions." is how they achieved the concept.

To be honest, I didn't think the first three issues (Bendis' three) were all that terrible (besides the continuity issues, which were mostly due to Land's Art). They also set up the story, which I thought was okay, as you said.

It was in issue 4 when things really started to go down hill. (Kitty finds out Fury has something else up his sleeve) and then after that it gets ridiculous with Hulk and Doombots and the other Squadron Supreme coming b/c of the Scarlet Witch's crazy powers (which lead into Ultimates 3) and the big reveal at the end that Fury teamed up with Doom and framed Reed (still not sure why) and getting himself exiled from earth.

None of them are off the hook. If anything, you could blame Bendis more than the other two because he should've put the seeds of a fool-proof climax in his first three issues.

Anyone involved in the series should be ashamed.

None of them are off the hook. If anything, you could blame Bendis more than the other two because he should've put the seeds of a fool-proof climax in his first three issues.

Anyone involved in the series should be ashamed.
My remark was meant to be mocking.

It means even in his career, Bendis cops out.

"What, I have to write an ending? I'm OUTTA HERE!"

Which he did on Daredevil, by the way.

"What, I have to write an ending? I'm OUTTA HERE!"

Which he did on Daredevil, by the way.

Maybe...I think he can be forgiven for that to an extent because its an ongoing and he has to give something to the next writer. Not the case with a mini, obviously.

Latest posts

Back