Re: Ultimate Power #9 Discussion (Spoilers)

see, i'm not the only one confused about whether or not this takes place before or after death of a goblin in USM.

see, i'm not the only one confused about whether or not this takes place before or after death of a goblin in USM.

Hahaha - I have to give this Post of the Day.

From the 2nd review:

In Ultimate Spider-Man, Spidey asks Carol Danvers where Nick Fury is. In this issue, Spidey is not only there when Fury is left with the Squadron Supreme, HE'S THE ONE WHO GIVES HIS NAME AWAY TO HYPERION.

:lol:

In Ultimate Spider-Man, Spidey asks Carol Danvers where Nick Fury is. In this issue, Spidey is not only there when Fury is left with the Squadron Supreme, HE'S THE ONE WHO GIVES HIS NAME AWAY TO HYPERION.

There's a logical real-world answer to this.
Jeph Leob sucks. Or at least the Ultimate Editors do.

Serioiusly; in the most recent Bendis Tapes podcast, Bendis claims that Leob has yet to start writing Ultimatum. Considering how far Bendis writes in advance (he's already ten issues ahead in USM alone) and how much Leob seems to procrastinate, it's not a stretch to determine that Leob wrote his Ultimate Power scripts way after Bendis wrote his script to USM #112. The Editors were probably in such a hurry to finally release UP that they simply neglected to realize this ridiculous, lazy error.

Meh.

Hahaha - I have to give this Post of the Day.

yeah, i guess inherent in the question is an assumption that rational thought was even in the ballpark.

Something else to add to the pile of "Why Loeb sucks":

According to Jeph Loeb, Ultimate Hulk (the guy who was the major villain for the first book of THE ULTIMATES, and a 'doomsday weapon' for books three and four of Hitllar's THE ULTIMATES) can be felled by... wait for it... someone cutting off his air for a second and then having the Thing punch him. ONCE.

This doesn't make Hulk stumble about or fall over - it knocks him the **** out. AND HE STAYS IN HULK FORM.

So THOR can WAIL on Hulk with MJOLNIR and LIGHTNING, but can barely hurt him.

THING can PUNCH him ONCE when he's OUT OF BREATH and will immediately make him UNCONSCIOUS.

It's like in SPIDER-MAN: THE OTHER when Reginald Hudlin decided that Spider-Man could make Hulk revert to Banner by telling him a KNOCK KNOCK JOKE.

It's hard to imagine the Hulk as a dangerous engine of destruction that Reed Richards has to send to an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE if he can be knocked out by a knock knock joke or a punch in the head.

It's disgraceful. Any write can make things exciting at a cliffhanger if he's just going to smack the reset button.

Last edited:

According to Jeph Loeb, Ultimate Hulk (the guy who was the major villain for the first book of THE ULTIMATES, and a 'doomsday weapon' for books three and four of Hitllar's THE ULTIMATES) can be felled by... wait for it... someone cutting off his air for a second and then having the Thing punch him. ONCE.

This doesn't make Hulk stumble about or fall over - it knocks him the **** out. AND HE STAYS IN HULK FORM.

THING can PUNCH him ONCE when he's OUT OF BREATH and will immediately make him UNCONSCIOUS.

It's like in SPIDER-MAN: THE OTHER when Reginald Hudlin decided that Spider-Man could make Hulk revert to Banner by telling him a KNOCK KNOCK JOKE.

It's hard to imagine the Hulk as a dangerous engine of destruction that Reed Richards has to send to an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE if he can be knocked out by a knock knock joke or a punch in the head.

It's disgraceful. Any write can make things exciting at a cliffhanger if he's just going to smack the reset button.

Uh, the Thing's made out of ROCK, dude.

Everyone knows that the Hulk's only weakness is his allergy to rock.

Duh!

I could feel the anger in this post all the way here.

I actually thought that kind of made sense.No matter how tough or strong you are you have to have air to breathe.

I actually thought that kind of made sense.No matter how tough or strong you are you have to have air to breathe.

Yeah, I agree. Hyperion, Blur, Doc Spectrum and Nighthawk used the same trick on Redstone in Supreme Power and I thought it was ingenious then.

I agree. Sadly it is just one of the very few things that made sense in this stupid mini-series.

It seemed that UP was only decent when Bendis was writing it, but starting from the time we hear Thor speak in Old English, everything went downhill. I think it has already pointed out that most of the characters here are just caricatures. Basically what Loeb did was scan a couple of issues and put lines in their mouths that remotely fits their personalities minus any actual realistic characterization or development.

Spidey sounds more like 616 Spidey. Did Loeb forget he's just 16 years old? Accusing Nick Fury as a traitor does not make sense considering there is no clear evidence that he was in any way working with Burbank, who was the one responsible for the catastrophe in the Supreme Universe. Sure, Fury dealt with Doom or his "Doombot" but it is pretty obvious that Doom only wanted to take over the world (another stupid caricature since in UFF he has no such plans and was simply content in humiliating Reed and sitting comfortably in his Latverian throne) and had little knowledge of Burbank's plans.

I have honestly say that neither UIM vol.1 or USM's Deadpool arc had the level of revulsion I had with this. It has zero redeeming qualities. I do not understand why Marvel chose Loeb over some of the more respected Ultimate writer vets. Bendis with his renaissance as seen in his new arc would have probably executed Ultimatum a lot better than this guy. Loeb, I'm sorry your son died of cancer, but your writing still sucks. I would stick to whatever consultancy role for TV stuff instead of this.

Last edited:

exactly.jpg

Does Hulk even need to breathe?

In 616 he's been shown to even hold his breath within space ala Superman

Hulk is the living epitome of deus ex machina. His powers will always be whatever the writer wants his powers to be.

Does Hulk even need to breathe?

In 616 he's been shown to even hold his breath within space ala Superman

I would assume that with him it would work just like anyone else - if you want to hold your breath you can for a while. If someone cuts off your oxygen without you being prepared for it that's a different story.

Hulk is the living epitome of deus ex machina. His powers will always be whatever the writer wants his powers to be.

Sadly this is probably true.

Uh, the Thing's made out of ROCK, dude.

Everyone knows that the Hulk's only weakness is his allergy to rock.

Duh!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you saying that the Hulk is made out of scissors?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this.

I could feel the anger in this post all the way here.

kirkscreammw2.jpg

Yeah, I agree. Hyperion, Blur, Doc Spectrum and Nighthawk used the same trick on Redstone in Supreme Power and I thought it was ingenious then.

Okay. Difference.

Redstone was taken out by removing his air supply. It was the LACK of air that put him into unconsciousness and almost killed him (had Blur not saved him).

SENSE ACCEPTIFIED.

Hulk is a force field put over his head. This does NOT remove air. This means no new air can get to Hulk. Hulk slowly starts to get woozy. Then - a punch which was incapable of physically damaging him can now render him unconscious.

A lack of air does not make one's skin more pliable. It doesn't change the density of your skin. If Sue had just stuck it on his head and Hulk passed out - no problem. But that's not what takes him out - Thing punches him in his 'weakened' state.

SENSE REFUSIFIED.

Also, when Hulk is knocked unconscious by magical punch man, he doesn't revert to Banner.

SENSE AND CONTINUITY DOUBLE REFUSIFIED.

And just remember - next time Hulk is in a fight, all they need to do is put a thin plastic bag over his head to win.

How Hulk has been beaten:

1 - A laser sting-blast thingy is fired directly into the amygdala of his brain, essentially lobotomizing him back into being Banner.

2 - A specially designed Hulk-antidote serum, fired by expert archer Hawkeye, into his heart with an adamantium arrow, reverts him to Banner's form.

3 - Hulk is deprived of new air for 10 seconds, and then the Thing punches him.

4 - Season 3 of LOST needed writing and Hulk was lost in eternal limbo.

CONTINUITY REFUSIFIED.

BASS CORRECTITUDE ACCEPTIFIED.

ORIZED.

TRUTH ACCEPTIFIED.

ORIZINATION.

Latest posts

Back