Ultimate Spider-Man #99 discussion (spoilers)

DIrishB said:

Call 'em like I see 'em.

He should just excuse himself....go put on an Dashboard Confessional, Hawthorne Heights or Panic at the Disco album and just get it over with. :lol:

Victor Von Doom said:
Call 'em like I see 'em.

He should just excuse himself....go put on an Dashboard Confessional, Hawthorne Heights or Panic at the Disco album and just get it over with. :lol:

dude i think he should become the ultimate staind fan.and they should draw ultimate aaron lewis as bendis himself

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
This is too much stuff for a 15 year old to deal with. There is so much crap going on with Peter that he should just slit his wrists and be done with it.
I wasn't one, but I've known kids who dealt with more at 15 and they made it.

Hibiki said:
What did they deal with that was worse than Kingpin and Punisher?

don't wanna underestimate real life problems , but i personally don't know any 15 yo kid that has to deal with an organisation like SHIELD , a psycho CEO like Osborn , an assassin like Deadpool , sicko creatures like Venom and carnage , a mad scientist like Doc Ock...

Besides that he potentially has probably the foolest girlfriends ever!! dealing with a drama queen like kitty (well even i had one of those girls without powers), and i-just-don't-get-it girl like MJ (god bless us i never had one of those (but as long as she is a redhead it's fine)).

so yes!!! p.p. is the most troubled 15 yo kiddo that ever existed virtually or real

USM - ready for the hate

I am ready for the hate - Just read USM 99...and uncharacteristically, I LOVED it - I thought it was a little nebulous, but in a planned, creepy way. The events of the issue were great, and as others have mentioned here, the referencing other arcs was wonderful. This, along with the two annuals, were the best of USM (easily) ALL YEAR!!

The negative part, for me, is that SO FAR, while this planning and execution brings a little more weight to previous issues, it does not really excuse the waste that was USM (for me) for about 60 issues!! Quality storytelling (and I am sure we agree there is lots in comics today) is able to pull off an unexpected, all-encompasing "opus", while still making its individual parts compelling and worthwhile.

Please don"t get me wrong - I eagerly anticipate each USM arc, hoping it will be great. I enjoyed the gangland one - it reminded me of the original Hammerhead one in the early 100"s of ASM, and in a good way. But I got the feeling that most of the 70 or so issues since Legacy were written so that at some point we"d all say "SEE...he DID know what he was doing" But if those issues themselves are lukewarm, does that not detract from the final "genius" of the overall plot?

Ultimates 2 has put out what - 4 issues in a year? USM has put out about 16-20. For 4 or 5 times the output, have you gotten anywhere near the enjoyment? (I know, its a little unfair - they are different animals)

So why read it at all if I am often disappointed? Bendis is much like my Red Sox as opposed to the Cubs. Cubs fans almost never get close...one World Series appearance (I think) in 60 or so years? The Red Sox get agonizingly close every year to something special, then orchestrate a painful demise (hello 5 game sweep, dreaded Yankees!!) in a new way each year. Bendis is no hack - he is always on the verge of something special..I am hoping that this Clone Saga is his 2004 Red Sox (I really am - I am paying money here..why would I WANT to say bad things? :) )

Anyway, what do you think? Hope no BMB fans are PO"ed..this is, after all, just an opinion

Let me know

You are not Paris Hilton - your name says "Innocent Bystander" underneath it :)

I meant that I hope no "Brian Michael Bendis" fans are "Pissed off" by this feeling toward him

OH - When I said'ready for the hate', I meant toward me for posting this, not toward USM FROM me.. I really do WANT to like it! :)

Really amazing issue, not even Civil War raised my expectations so high.

Just one little detail bugs me now: in USM 98, "Kaine" said that he should come up with the idea of mading MJ equal of him years ago.
Years? How come? Peter is Spider-man for less than one year...

Ultimate Kaine? Noobz... :roll: May knew about Richard? Were we reading the same comic?

The issue was well written but clones still suck. Gwen as Carnage is actually the one thing about the clone saga that will make the most sense and actually be good. Carnage killed her, survived and is useing her DNA to reinvent himself. That's logical when it comes with what we know of Carnage.

Richard Parker is back? Lame.

This is a good example of a bad story being masked by good dialogue, characters, and stupid "shockers" that keep dumb fanboys coming back.

3/5

There's such a thing as good Bendis dialogue?

ProjectX2 said:
There's such a thing as good Bendis dialogue?

In rare instances.......yes. After reading the issue again---this is all just hype. It's not as bad as other issues......but it ain't "Luke Cage in New Avengers by Bendis" good.

Stupendous Man said:
Just one little detail bugs me now: in USM 98, "Kaine" said that he should come up with the idea of mading MJ equal of him years ago.
Years? How come? Peter is Spider-man for less than one year...

It was probably just a figure of speech

Victor Von Doom said:
In rare instances.......yes. After reading the issue again---this is all just hype. It's not as bad as other issues......but it ain't "Luke Cage in New Avengers by Bendis" good.

Now that's writing you can appreciate.

Victor Von Doom said:
So, is "Luke Cage in New Avengers by Bendis" the new gold standard?

Well...Peter will turn 16 next issue. Might help.:roll:

I think Richard is Miles Warren...would explain why May's not surprised when he shows up, as she met him in the Deadpool arc. I like the idea of him being Ultimate Jackal.

I'm curious as to how Peter will fend of Nick Fury, an army of Spider-Slayers, and maybe the Fantastic Four and Ultimates. That will be awesome.
I get the feeling that Peter will lose his powers at the end of the arc.

MaxwellSmart said:
So, is "Luke Cage in New Avengers by Bendis" the new gold standard?

No. I found a random trade of his run on DD.....Daredevil is the Bendis Gold Standard. Luke Cage is like glimmers of a past greatness.

Bendis' Daredevil is the best Bendis.

And to get this back on topic... Peter's turning 16 next issue? That's one thing I hated about USM. All of this crap has happened in one year. Stupid.

Latest posts

Back