Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

People have not mentioned the awesome line where Wolverine says to the robot Hulk: "I wish you were the real Hulk. We have unfinished business."

YOU GET IT? He's talking about ULTIMATE HULK VS WOLVERINE!

It's the final issue, the big climax, and he's making in-jokes! :roll:

It's actually not a bad line, but it's just extra stupid.

Also, the issue is rubbish.

The Ultronites create a robot Venom (out of liquid?!?!) to attack and kidnap Scarlet Witch. Which makes no sense. Why Venom? Why not Magneto? Why a low-level Spider-villain to take on the Ultimates?

Also, the Ultronites can make robot clones out of liquid and non-metal things that look like metal. (Did Mad read the script? I don't blame him if he didn't.)

The Ultronites also shoot Wanda when Pietro kisses her because they realise they'll never be together... why doesn't the Ultronite shoot Pietro instead? In fact, why, since they're passing UNDETECTED AS BUTLERS don't they POISON THE ULTIMATES.

THEY COULD HAVE. THEY POISONED HANK PYM.

WHO, BY THE WAY, STOPPED BEING POISONED FOR NO REASON. WHY DID PYM NOT DIE FROM HIS OVERDOSE?

This is the first time I think I've seen a plot hole that is, in its self, another plot hole.

Oh, and Wolverine can tell when a dinosaur is coming to ambush Juggernaut but his super senses can't actually notice Juggernaut. He is so stealthy, after all.

Why was Spider-Man in #2 again? Oh, right. No reason.

Captain America as Black Panther still makes no sense. At all.

Also, Hawkeye shoots an ARROW at Magneto and Quicksilver gets in the way and gets killed. However, four issues ago, Quicksilver was able to INTERCEPT AND CATCH A BULLET WITH HIS BARE HANDS THAT WAS MOVING BY ITSELF TO KILL HIS SISTER. HE ACTUALLY ****ING CATCHES IT. HE MANAGES TO CHASE A BULLET SHOT FROM NOWHERE AND CATCH IT YET HE CAN'T CATCH AN ARROW. Did Loeb even read his own comics?

And speaking of the bullet - if the Ultronite was just following Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch without the intention of shooting them, WHY DID HE CARRY A GUN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO KILL WANDA WITH HIM?

Doom makes a cameo at the end that is utterly arbitrary. While the comic says "The End" what it really means is, "To be continued". Ultimates 3 is a prequel to a crossover.

Oh, and Hank Pym, who created Ultron and is a TRAITOR TO THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (apparently, this only gets him HOUSE ARREST?!) is backed up by Jan for him helping them fight Ultron. Jan then yells at Captain America and says if he doesn't like Hank being on the team (!!) he can QUIT.

He's Captain ****ing America. Captain America doesn't take **** from Wasp. Wasp being the leader makes no ****ing sense at all. And Cap not being able to actually command ANY RESPECT from ANYONE is retarded. But then, HE IS RETARDED BECAUSE HE PRETENDED TO BE THE BLACK PANTHER. Why? We don't know. It doesn't matter. It just means Captain America has been ****ing around. Captain America wants to be bossed around by Wasp so much, HE JOINED THE TEAM TWICE.

Seriously. Tony Stark = Billionaire business man. Captain America = Led troops into World War II. Thor = Norse God and son of Odin. And somehow, none of them have the presence to lead a team whereas Wasp, a government scientist, can BOSS THEM AROUND in military operations. This makes no ****ing sense. At all. Cap could leave the team, and create his own one. With blackjack and hookers.

But then, none of it made any sense. It is, by far, one of the most stupid comics I've ever read. It's insulting how many people in this world would've killed to do Ultimates 3 - for so much less - and this got published.

Absolute ****ing failure.

You read the Ultimate FF/X-Men annual? :lol:

also, Ultron should never, never, never, NEVER be portrayed as the jealous stalker, Ultron is supposed to be Doom, but more ruthless, and has an even lower opinion of human life.

Also, A Technophilic-Incestuous Love triangle gave me a headache

Last edited:
People have not mentioned the awesome line where Wolverine says to the robot Hulk: "I wish you were the real Hulk. We have unfinished business."

The Ultronites create a robot Venom (out of liquid?!?!) to attack and kidnap Scarlet Witch. Which makes no sense. Why Venom? Why not Magneto? Why a low-level Spider-villain to take on the Ultimates?

Also, the Ultronites can make robot clones out of liquid and non-metal things that look like metal. (Did Mad read the script? I don't blame him if he didn't.)

The Ultronites also shoot Wanda when Pietro kisses her because they realise they'll never be together... why doesn't the Ultronite shoot Pietro instead? In fact, why, since they're passing UNDETECTED AS BUTLERS don't they POISON THE ULTIMATES.

WHO, BY THE WAY, STOPPED BEING POISONED FOR NO REASON. WHY DID PYM NOT DIE FROM HIS OVERDOSE?

This is the first time I think I've seen a plot hole that is, in its self, another plot hole.

Oh, and Wolverine can tell when a dinosaur is coming to ambush Juggernaut but his super senses can't actually notice Juggernaut. He is so stealthy, after all.

Also, Hawkeye shoots an ARROW at Magneto and Quicksilver gets in the way and gets killed. However, four issues ago, Quicksilver was able to INTERCEPT AND CATCH A BULLET WITH HIS BARE HANDS THAT WAS MOVING BY ITSELF TO KILL HIS SISTER. HE ACTUALLY ****ING CATCHES IT. HE MANAGES TO CHASE A BULLET SHOT FROM NOWHERE AND CATCH IT YET HE CAN'T CATCH AN ARROW. Did Loeb even read his own comics?

And speaking of the bullet - if the Ultronite was just following Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch without the intention of shooting them, WHY DID HE CARRY A GUN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO KILL WANDA WITH HIM?

Doom makes a cameo at the end that is utterly arbitrary. While the comic says "The End" what it really means is, "To be continued". Ultimates 3 is a prequel to a crossover.

Oh, and Hank Pym, who created Ultron and is a TRAITOR TO THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (apparently, this only gets him HOUSE ARREST?!) is backed up by Jan for him helping them fight Ultron. Jan then yells at Captain America and says if he doesn't like Hank being on the team (!!) he can QUIT.

He's Captain ****ing America. Captain America doesn't take **** from Wasp. Wasp being the leader makes no ****ing sense at all. And Cap not being able to actually command ANY RESPECT from ANYONE is retarded. But then, HE IS RETARDED BECAUSE HE PRETENDED TO BE THE BLACK PANTHER. Why? We don't know. It doesn't matter. It just means Captain America has been ****ing around. Captain America wants to be bossed around by Wasp so much, HE JOINED THE TEAM TWICE.

Seriously. Tony Stark = Billionaire business man. Captain America = Led troops into World War II. Thor = Norse God and son of Odin. And somehow, none of them have the presence to lead a team whereas Wasp, a government scientist, can BOSS THEM AROUND in military operations. This makes no ****ing sense. At all. Cap could leave the team, and create his own one. With blackjack and hookers.

But then, none of it made any sense. It is, by far, one of the most stupid comics I've ever read. It's insulting how many people in this world would've killed to do Ultimates 3 - for so much less - and this got published.

Post of the Day.

Particularly this:

Well said, Bass, but I've got a few things to add.

Number one, I think Loeb got a big part of his inspiration for U3 from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Seriously. The Ultimates against the evil robot usses? There's a big difference, though. I enjoyed Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Ultimates 3 made me want to vomit.

Valkyrie beheads Mastermind and then chops Pyro's hands off? OK, normally I wouldn't really have a problem with that, but despite one word balloon full of dialogue, Loeb failed to give anyone a valid reason for Pyro joining the Brotherhood. Although I'm sure that reason would be something like "well, he was in the Brotherhood in 616" or "Listen, it's all connected!" BS.

I thought it would be impossible to hate Captain America until I read U3. I guess I can't say I hate Captain America, but I definitely hate everything Loeb did with him. It's bad enough he was the man under the Panther mask. It's like "let's introduce this classic Marvel character for absolutely no f-ing reason and explain it away with a simple 'hey we'll talk about it later, dude'" balloon. I'll tell you why this was not explained... because LOEB HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL HE'S DOING! Everything about this arc was rushed and half-assed.

So not only is he the Black Panther, he does something very un-Cap like and knocks his evil robot usses head off after the thing's already been deactivated and Wolverine, also out of character, cheers him on like "yeah, you show that deactivated evil robot you!" *groan* The cherry on top, as Bass said, is letting Wasp put her finger in his face and tell him off. Because... never mind, Bass explained it perfectly.

THIS IS THE WORST EXAMPLE OF WHAT ANYONE COULD EVER DO WITH AN ULTIMATE COMIC BOOK EVER. I would rather be forced to read the worst issues of Ultimate Spider-Man daily for eternity than read this garbage. The Ultimates were the heavy-hitters and now they might as well sell the Quinjet and start riding around in the Mystery Machine with Scooby-Doo and friends.

I hate you, Jeph Loeb. Hate you.

Please DO NOT go forward with this:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/908/908687p1.html
From IGN
The Ultimates 4 is still in the works, saying, "Jeph will be picking up where he left off with the final issue of The Ultimates 3." He indicated that Ultimate Avengers will probably ship first, but also noted that the publishing plans are still very tentative.

WHAT.

THE.

I'm never buying another Marvel comic again. Marvel clearly has zero respect for the readers.

It's going to be Loeb and Frank Cho instead of Loeb and Ed McGuinness. It's still going to suck major ***.

My mind is ****ing blown.

**** Loeb. **** Marvel.

Last edited:
Frank Cho likes Loeb. He thinks he's a good guy and a good writer. That's why he's doing it. I asked him at Heroes Con "why" and that's what he said. I said, "Really?! ... Fair enough." Not much you can say.

People like Loeb. Both professionals in the industry and the audience who reads it. Just like Michael Bay is still making movies, Jordan is still on the press, and Big Brother is still on the air, yet Heath Ledger is dead and FIREFLY got cancelled. Some things just do not make sense. C'est la vie.

I think it's a race thing: Wasp turns white and she gets to lead the Ultimates, Cap tries to be black and gets bossed around by Wasp.

Awesome.

Brutha can nevah get some reespek! That be whack!!

Not so awesome. :p

Why is the Wasp the leader again?

Why do people even like the Wasp?

I have not been presented with a single reason to enjoy the character in either 616 or UU

She suck's.

This is science-fact.

Post of the Day.

w00t!

Well said, Bass, but I've got a few things to add.

Number one, I think Loeb got a big part of his inspiration for U3 from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Seriously. The Ultimates against the evil robot usses? There's a big difference, though. I enjoyed Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Ultimates 3 made me want to vomit.

Valkyrie beheads Mastermind and then chops Pyro's hands off? OK, normally I wouldn't really have a problem with that, but despite one word balloon full of dialogue, Loeb failed to give anyone a valid reason for Pyro joining the Brotherhood. Although I'm sure that reason would be something like "well, he was in the Brotherhood in 616" or "Listen, it's all connected!" BS.

I thought it would be impossible to hate Captain America until I read U3. I guess I can't say I hate Captain America, but I definitely hate everything Loeb did with him. It's bad enough he was the man under the Panther mask. It's like "let's introduce this classic Marvel character for absolutely no f-ing reason and explain it away with a simple 'hey we'll talk about it later, dude'" balloon. I'll tell you why this was not explained... because LOEB HAS NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL HE'S DOING! Everything about this arc was rushed and half-assed.

So not only is he the Black Panther, he does something very un-Cap like and knocks his evil robot usses head off after the thing's already been deactivated and Wolverine, also out of character, cheers him on like "yeah, you show that deactivated evil robot you!" *groan* The cherry on top, as Bass said, is letting Wasp put her finger in his face and tell him off. Because... never mind, Bass explained it perfectly.

THIS IS THE WORST EXAMPLE OF WHAT ANYONE COULD EVER DO WITH AN ULTIMATE COMIC BOOK EVER. I would rather be forced to read the worst issues of Ultimate Spider-Man daily for eternity than read this garbage. The Ultimates were the heavy-hitters and now they might as well sell the Quinjet and start riding around in the Mystery Machine with Scooby-Doo and friends.

I hate you, Jeph Loeb. Hate you.

Everything you said is righteous. But I bet Loeb HAS planned why Cap is Panther. But then, that doesn't mean it'll be any good.

Also, Valkyrie cut Mastermind's head off and Pyro's hands off because it's totally in keeping with her character. But then, until now, her character has been "useless female Thor" so frankly, she could've betrayed the team and it would've been in character.

Also - here's what I don't get. You want evil robot Ultimates. Okay. Madureira wants to redesign some of the Ultimates costumes. Okay. So... why not have the robot versions be in the NEW costumes, and the Ultimates in their Hitch-costumes? Would that not make more sense?

Also... why didn't Ultron just clone Wanda and live happily ever after? Was this explained? Because... y'know. It could've done so. Or... how about... Ultron turns himself into a clone of Quicksilver, kills Quicksilver, and lives out his love life.

Did anyone read these scripts twice?

Also: why is Wolverine in the comic? Besides selling the issues. But frankly, if Joe Madureira is drawing Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor in the top-selling Ultimate title, I don't think you need to worry about boosting sales by having Wolverine show up. Or Spider-Man. Or Venom. Or Doom. Or a link to a crossover. Seriously. That's like Lucas putting Ewan McGregor into THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL in the hopes of creating publicity for THE CLONE WARS.

It's THE ULTIMATES. If you need Wolverine and Spider-Man to make useless guest cameos to boost sales something is really, really wrong.

Essentially, with THE ULTIMATES, the printing press is printing dollars, not comic books.

And it certainly feels like they were.

Last edited:
So, that shot of Thor's return is just god awful. He looks like he has a monstrous, hunchback tumor (IT'S NOT A TUMAAAAAH!)

Essentially, with THE ULTIMATES, the printing press is printing dollars, not comic books.

And it certainly feels like they were.

I can't wait to buy a hooker with a piece of paper showing Black Panther jerking off into a shrub!

Also.... Doesn't the idea of a robotic Hulk seem a little... eerr... silly? I'm guessing the hardware doesn't replicate Hulk's powers, right? If not, I think it's just phenomenal that science has advanced so far that it can simulate all these character's powers in artificial life.

It's nice to see Jan was able to get over that whole silly "being violently beaten and then left to be eaten by ants" thing. Way to stop being a silly girl and being overdramatic about **** that should be water under the bridge! Hopefully Valkyrie will get over herself sometime soon and agree to go on a date with Mastermind and Pyro.

And what the **** is with that tiny panel showing Hawkeye and Sabretooth? He's shooting dude in the foot?

And finally, I think Marvel should start putting "TM" at the end of the word "ultimate", every time it's used. You know, just to underline the silliness of, for instance, "THEY WILL ALL PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE!(TM)".

Last edited:
Anyway, you guys sicken me. Any writer worth his salt will tell you no book is right for everyone. A writer writes for a demographic, and what works for some audiences doesn't work for others.

And this is obviously a very personal, intimate project for Loeb. He's writing from his heart. If you guys had the smallest amount of empathy, or the slightest bit of imagination, you could see that this is the perfect narrative for his chosen audience.

Some authors write stories for their children. Loeb writes for the painfully recreated simulocrons of famous mentally handicapped celebrities that he's building in his basement. One day he'll open up his basement for everyone to see. And do you know who'll look retarded then? You! Every single one of you! Plus the retard robots in his basement...... It's going to be like the Disney Hall of Presidents. just with a lot more slobber. and irritable, over-petted kittens...

Last edited:
Everything you said is righteous. But I bet Loeb HAS planned why Cap is Panther. But then, that doesn't mean it'll be any good.

I'll see you your "But then, that doesn't mean it'll be any good." and raise you a "yeah, it's totally going to suck." Because it is. This was total hasty pudding, taking a classic Marvel character (and the first MAJOR black superhero) and having his costume occupied by Captain f-ing America, who has never really needed to hide his identity with that of another hero before in any storyline. Yes, Steve Rogers was at one point Nomad and at one point "The Captain" but that's because of various bureaucracies taking his title away from him. So, really, why the hell would Steve Rogers need to hide his identity for any reason? There was no real reason for this, and as far as I'm concerned, there IS no real reason for it other than Jeph Loeb not having a good enough idea why this would happen or why Black Panther wouldn't just be T'Challa. What a f-ing trainwreck. Even IF Loeb has a plan for this, the plan is going to suck and that's how it will remain unless Loeb is just some kind of miracle worker... and he's not so let's just go ahead and stop wishing.

Also, Valkyrie cut Mastermind's head off and Pyro's hands off because it's totally in keeping with her character. But then, until now, her character has been "useless female Thor" so frankly, she could've betrayed the team and it would've been in character.

Until now, her character has been a sexy, powerless kickboxer who has meetings with a D-list at best Defenders team and a major crush on Captain America. All of a sudden and without explanation, she's a Norse goddess. I guess it's because Thor fell in love with her and wanted to bestow upon her some awesome Norse goddess powers. However, I've read enough Norse mythology to know that Thor bedded plenty of mortal women and never gave them the same courtesy. So what's the big difference between all those mortal women and this one? The fact that she looks good in a thong and an ensemble of dinner plates held together with string? I DON'T BUY IT!

Also - here's what I don't get. You want evil robot Ultimates. Okay. Madureira wants to redesign some of the Ultimates costumes. Okay. So... why not have the robot versions be in the NEW costumes, and the Ultimates in their Hitch-costumes? Would that not make more sense?

Also... why didn't Ultron just clone Wanda and live happily ever after? Was this explained? Because... y'know. It could've done so. Or... how about... Ultron turns himself into a clone of Quicksilver, kills Quicksilver, and lives out his love life.

Did anyone read these scripts twice?

Also: why is Wolverine in the comic? Besides selling the issues. But frankly, if Joe Madureira is drawing Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor in the top-selling Ultimate title, I don't think you need to worry about boosting sales by having Wolverine show up. Or Spider-Man. Or Venom. Or Doom. Or a link to a crossover. Seriously. That's like Lucas putting Ewan McGregor into THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL in the hopes of creating publicity for THE CLONE WARS.

It's THE ULTIMATES. If you need Wolverine and Spider-Man to make useless guest cameos to boost sales something is really, really wrong.

Honestly, I think Loeb went with the old standard "let's throw our **** against the wall and see what sticks." From the looks of it, he was eating a lot of oatmeal because EVERYTHING STUCK and he used it. A hastily-formed Brotherhood... evil Bill and Ted robot usses... both of Magneto's kids (who were AWESOMELY portrayed during Milalr's run) dead and a really crappy version of Ultimate Hawkeye (undoubtedly one of the best characters from Millar's Ultimates runs). All of it stuck to the wall. What a crock of ****.

Sure, Millar and Hitch left some big shoes to fill, but the job was DOABLE. Loeb completely dropped the ball on following up, and he should be barred from doing any future Ultimate Universe projects because of this. If he wants to do Captain America: White, Nightcrawler: Blue, Aquarian: Tie Dye or Deathlok "Black n' Moldy" then that's fine.... but STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ONE OF THE BEST TITLES IN COMICS.

At least, that's what Ultimates was before he soiled it.

Last edited:
I think Valkyrie got her powers from some other worldly mystical source, that will tie into Ultimatum, BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED! (TM).

Doom probably gave her powers or something.

And Cap was obviously posing as Black Panther to hide from Ultron's Ultronites. Obviously.

I'll see you your "But then, that doesn't mean it'll be any good." and raise you a "yeah, it's totally going to suck." Because it is. This was total hasty pudding,

Mmmm. Hasty pudding.

taking a classic Marvel character (and the first MAJOR black superhero) and having his costume occupied by Captain f-ing America, who has never really needed to hide his identity with that of another hero before in any storyline. Yes, Steve Rogers was at one point Nomad and at one point "The Captain" but that's because of various bureaucracies taking his title away from him. So, really, why the hell would Steve Rogers need to hide his identity for any reason? There was no real reason for this, and as far as I'm concerned, there IS no real reason for it other than Jeph Loeb not having a good enough idea why this would happen or why Black Panther wouldn't just be T'Challa. What a f-ing trainwreck. Even IF Loeb has a plan for this, the plan is going to suck and that's how it will remain unless Loeb is just some kind of miracle worker... and he's not so let's just go ahead and stop wishing.

I don't think the fact that Captain America is WHITE is a problem with him being Black Panther. Firstly, Nick Fury is now black. They've done a mini-series which says the first Cap was black. If they can go one way, they can go the other. The problem is NOT that Panther is white. It's that Panther, an interesting, LEGITIMATE character in his own right who has not been ultimized yet gets ultimized sans Wakanda and any personal history as an ALTERNATE costume for Captain America. Which is ****ing weak. That's like ultimizing Doctor Doom as another get up for Magneto.

Nomad would've made much sense.

And it wouldn't have spoilt the surprise. It was obvious it was Captain America in disguise from the ****ing beginning. The 'reveal' was "Yes. We know. ****'s sake."

All those "mysteries" that would be revealed throughout the course of the five issues. What bull****.

I hate to be a dick, but I think the powers that be at Marvel Comics have just been giving Loeb free reign on whatever he wants to do because his son died. There, I said it, as heartless as it may seem. Yes, I feel bad for him because losing a child is one of the hardest things anyone could ever do... but really. A bad story is a bad story, and you can't be an editor and let a writer suck this bad in good conscience unless there's some other reason for doing so. I honestly can't think of any other reason that an editor would let a writer get away with sinking to the depths of Suck Ocean this bad and not put the kibosh on it.

I really don't think this has anything to do with it. And I don't think we need to bring it up. Amateur psychology of someone you don't know is always dangerous assumption of character and ultimately(TM) worthless. The series is bad enough that we don't need to actually try to explain WHY without any evidence. There's enough in the series to go, "This is bad." Loeb got away with it because he has a contract and is positioned and perceived to have value. Like anyone else.

Earlier in this thread someone requested a positive review of this book.

Gentlemen, for your reading pleasure, I give you, Wizard Magazine (aka A**KISS CENTRAL) TMQB review of U3 #5.

--------------------------------------------------

STEVE: "The thrilling conclusion of Ultimates 3 hits shelves this week!

So, a lot of cool things happen in this issue, including—and I don't want to spoil it all for you, but...—the identity of Ultimate Black Panther being revealed, some heroes getting killed, some villains getting really peeved, some robots getting trashed and stage-setting for Ultimatum. Reading this issue makes me hope that Joe Madureira will come back to comics after his video game career slows down a bit. His characters are just absolutely gorgeous here. Jeph Loeb does a good job wrapping up the main plot points and setting the stage for the event of the holiday season, Ultimatum. With the appearance of Dr. Doom at the end of the issue, though, who the master villain is will be anybody's guess."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wizard Universe Staff Writer Steve Sunu: "My favorite comics are usually teams, like the Teen Titans or X-Men. I'll read anything by Gail Simone (Bring back Tranquility!), and I love Fables."

I'll see you your "But then, that doesn't mean it'll be any good." and raise you a "yeah, it's totally going to suck." Because it is. This was total hasty pudding,

Funny you should use that phrasing. I had hasty pudding for breakfast. Then I read Ultimates 3, and now there's a puddle of regurgitated Wild Irish Rose and hasty pudding all over my floor.

Willverine said:
taking a classic Marvel character (and the first MAJOR black superhero) and having his costume occupied by Captain f-ing America, who has never really needed to hide his identity with that of another hero before in any storyline. Yes, Steve Rogers was at one point Nomad and at one point "The Captain" but that's because of various bureaucracies taking his title away from him. So, really, why the hell would Steve Rogers need to hide his identity for any reason? There was no real reason for this, and as far as I'm concerned, there IS no real reason for it other than Jeph Loeb not having a good enough idea why this would happen or why Black Panther wouldn't just be T'Challa. What a f-ing trainwreck. Even IF Loeb has a plan for this, the plan is going to suck and that's how it will remain unless Loeb is just some kind of miracle worker... and he's not so let's just go ahead and stop wishing.

Even if he does have a solution, that doesn't make any of this right. If you have to tell terrible stories in order for good stories to be told, then you aren't doing it right.

Willverine said:
Until now, her character has been a sexy, powerless kickboxer who has meetings with a D-list at best Defenders team and a major crush on Captain America. All of a sudden and without explanation, she's a Norse goddess. I guess it's because Thor fell in love with her and wanted to bestow upon her some awesome Norse goddess powers. However, I've read enough Norse mythology to know that Thor bedded plenty of mortal women and never gave them the same courtesy. So what's the big difference between all those mortal women and this one? The fact that she looks good in a thong and an ensemble of dinner plates held together with string? I DON'T BUY IT!

See, here I agree with the sentiment but not necessarily the logic. Don't get me wrong, the six-*** Valkyrie costume was hilarious, but the character was basically a throwaway. If a writer can find a way to revamp (or entirely redo) Vaklyrie and make her interesting, more power to them. But the character's just terrible. The sentiment that editorial seems to be throwing around is "Give Loeb a chance to show why these changes have occurred". He hasn't, and the characters still aren't interesting. Instead, we're treated to relatively misogynistic cheesecake with no logic.

As for it not fitting the "mythological Thor", well that's not an issue. This isn't the mythological Thor. Ultimate Thor is a very different beast. The problem is, nothing I've seen seems to match the logic of our Ultimate Thor. That said, I think it's pretty obvious that Thor wasn't the one who gave her the powers. Someone else did. Someone stupid, I'm sure. My money's on Ultimate Big Wheel, who in the Ultimate Universe will turn out to be Lee Majors with cerebral palsy.

Willverine said:
I hate to be a dick, but I think the powers that be at Marvel Comics have just been giving Loeb free reign on whatever he wants to do because his son died. There, I said it, as heartless as it may seem. Yes, I feel bad for him because losing a child is one of the hardest things anyone could ever do... but really. A bad story is a bad story, and you can't be an editor and let a writer suck this bad in good conscience unless there's some other reason for doing so. I honestly can't think of any other reason that an editor would let a writer get away with sinking to the depths of Suck Ocean this bad and not put the kibosh on it.

I think it's simpler than that. Marvel lets Loeb write whatever he wants because people still keep buying his books. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And fiscally, it ain't broke.

Willverine said:
Honestly, I think Loeb went with the old standard "let's throw our **** against the wall and see what sticks." From the looks of it, he was eating a lot of oatmeal because EVERYTHING STUCK and he used it. A hastily-formed Brotherhood... evil Bill and Ted robot usses... both of Magneto's kids (who were AWESOMELY portrayed during Milalr's run) dead and a really crappy version of Ultimate Hawkeye (undoubtedly one of the best characters from Millar's Ultimates runs). All of it stuck to the wall. What a crock of ****.

This has always been Loeb's policy.

Bass said:
I don't think the fact that Captain America is WHITE is a problem with him being Black Panther. Firstly, Nick Fury is now black. They've done a mini-series which says the first Cap was black. If they can go one way, they can go the other. The problem is NOT that Panther is white. It's that Panther, an interesting, LEGITIMATE character in his own right who has not been ultimized yet gets ultimized sans Wakanda and any personal history as an ALTERNATE costume for Captain America. Which is ****ing weak. That's like ultimizing Doctor Doom as another get up for Magneto.

Gotta disagree with you here. This isn't about affirmative action. You can't just palette swap characters in an attempt to make your universe more diverse. Being black is essential to the character of Black Panther. Everything that radiates from the character comes from the premise that he's a hero who speaks to the black experience. That is the character. It's the character's concept, at the core. If you make him a white guy, then the only part of the character you're retaining is the costume.

As for Nick Fury being black. So what? It's not like "being white" is essential to Nick Fury's character. He's a super spy. He could be white, asian, native american, whatever, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. Hell, 616 Nick Fury could be a black guy, and nothing about his stories would fundamentally change. It seems a little silly that he's so tightly modeled on Samuel L. Jackson though. It's like the joke in Hollywood Shuffle about looking for an "Eddie Murphy type". It's like, it's okay to be a black guy in the Ultimate Universe, just as long as you tightly resemble one of a half dozen universally accepted "types" of black guy. It would be immensely more progressive to have a black revamp of a white character that is actually a character in his own right, rather than being Nick Mother-****ing Fury. Incidentally, I have something of an issue with the first "Captain America" being black. The core idea is fundamentally sound, and was, in fact, done far better in the mainstream Marvel U. The problem is that part of Nick Fury's resonance as a character, in any universe, is that he's a grade A badass despite not having any powers. He's a character capable of enacting immense change on an international scale without powers. And it would be refreshing to have a black character who has that sort of power based on his own merits, rather than because he's been injected with some sort of super-steroid. Making him the first Captain America just weakens the empowerment of the character. Hell, if you want to make "the first Captain America" black then.... well.... Why not just make Ultimate Captain America black? Now that would be refreshing. Imagine that opening to Ultimates (which was great in its own right). We open with snippets of news reels that show a mock-up of a white Captain America in the field of battle to make it more palatable to the audience of the time, and then cut to the Arctic Circle, where S.H.I.E.L.D. is excavating the body of the lost hero, and when they pull the glacier out of the water, it's a strong, iconic African-American in the red, white, and blue. Imagine the culture shock from that revelation, both from the perspective of Cap, who died far before the Civil Rights Movement kicked into gear, and to the general American public, who was raised on this image of an Aryan-American superman.

But back to Black Panther. No. He can't be white. It fundamentally betrays who the character is. There's tons of useless characters at Marvel, tons of characters that can be co-opted for the sake of story twists. Why, for ****'s sake, do you need to take one of the few characters that resonates on a specifically cultural and racial level and turn them into a cheap storyline ploy? It's not just bad storytelling. It's irresponsible, destructive storytelling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back