Uncanny X-men Thread (spoilers)

icemastertron said:
Rache's face only looks messed up on the cover. Its just showing that the dino-mutants have taken over her mind.

I knew about that. But what's going on still confuses me just a little

Uncanny X-Men #466 (SPOILERS)

Okay, so I understand that some of you guys here are not the greatest Claremont fans, and I also have to admit that some of his latest stuff is not the best, yet this issue was excellent!

Basically, Rachel is meeting her whole family who she hasn't ever seen before. And, I can honestly say, that for the first time in months, not reading spoilers did me good. The last panel was shocking, and I had to feel sorry for ol' Marvel Girl, something I have not done for a character in ages.

Hopefully, Chris can carry this on the next issues and New Excalibur.

The only grudge I do have is the art. It was horrible. I've never really liked Bachalo, and even though this was a better effor than his work on Ultimate X-Men, it was still enough for me to downgrade this issue to a B.

FINAL GRADE: B

Re: Uncanny X-Men #466 (SPOILERS)

Meh. I actually didnt like this issue much. Her grandfather just 'exploding' like that just didn't seem right, even though it will get explained. It was just so out of left field the way it happened, I thought it wasn't good. And Rachel sounded TOO much like a 12 year girl.

Bachalo's art has improved a bit, though. Work is much cleaner.

EDIT:

Also didnt like how Sam's return wasn't explained. He just back out of nowhere like that? I HATE when people come out of the blue and isnt explained.

Last edited:
Re: Uncanny X-Men #466 (SPOILERS)

icemastertron said:
Also didnt like how Sam's return wasn't explained. He just back out of nowhere like that? I HATE when people come out of the blue and isnt explained.

Sometimes its better for them not even to attempt an explanation. Its a case of contrived reasoning vs. no explanation. Sometime the latter choice is the best one.

Not that thats the case here, just saying.

Re: Uncanny X-men - series discussion (spoilers)

Merged #466 thread with series discussion thread.

icemastertron said:
Rache's face only looks messed up on the cover. Its just showing that the dino-mutants have taken over her mind.

That is exactly why I DON'T read 616 X-Men.

ProjectX2 said:
That is exactly why I DON'T read 616 X-Men.

Preach it.

For what it's worth, I doubt you'd see crap like that in Astonishing.

The family meeting wasn't bad, as far as character developement goes. I don't even care that they kind of went "....she's got lots of family she's just never bothered to go near before!"

Quite honestly though? Claremont's turned into a fanboy. Hentai Callisto (he will never live that down), über-powering his enormous-breasted female characters, and in this issue, especially.

Go through the issue. Tell me the only female X-man you don't see in their underwear is Emma Frost. Rachel, fine. But Betsy? Ahh...seriously. IF she's running around outside, she's probably going to put pants on. I mean actually running, like exercising, not just walking out to get the paper or whatever.

Then of course, there was the random idiotic pointless explosion to punctuate the issue.

Bacchalo's art with Rachel and the family was...passable. At the school however, it was absolutely terrible. Emma and Scott look more like semi-random smears then people.

The final touch however...God. It was the little solicit for next issue that goes with the cover-pic on the letters page. Seriously.

The final panel was Rachel's grandfather exploding for no apparent reason whatsoever. Fine, that'll get explained next issue (it better, dammit!) but its still a bit silly, in my mind. However, the solicit was "Next issue, more people get blown up!"

Caduceus said:
The family meeting wasn't bad, as far as character developement goes. I don't even care that they kind of went "....she's got lots of family she's just never bothered to go near before!"

Quite honestly though? Claremont's turned into a fanboy. Hentai Callisto (he will never live that down), über-powering his enormous-breasted female characters, and in this issue, especially.

Go through the issue. Tell me the only female X-man you don't see in their underwear is Emma Frost. Rachel, fine. But Betsy? Ahh...seriously. IF she's running around outside, she's probably going to put pants on. I mean actually running, like exercising, not just walking out to get the paper or whatever.

Then of course, there was the random idiotic pointless explosion to punctuate the issue.

Bacchalo's art with Rachel and the family was...passable. At the school however, it was absolutely terrible. Emma and Scott look more like semi-random smears then people.

The final touch however...God. It was the little solicit for next issue that goes with the cover-pic on the letters page. Seriously.

The final panel was Rachel's grandfather exploding for no apparent reason whatsoever. Fine, that'll get explained next issue (it better, dammit!) but its still a bit silly, in my mind. However, the solicit was "Next issue, more people get blown up!"
Tell it, 'brutha.

Claremont's stories now are not like they used to be. I like 'em a bit, but not too much. Uncanny is my least favorite X-book aound. The stories don't challenge much, and aren't entertaining as his old work was. The Savage Land arc, too much dialogue, not enough action. His HoM tie-in, confusing and was basically Captain Britain featuring the X-Men.

I was excited when I first heard he was coming back to Uncanny, but the dissapointment has just been brutal.

I miss Morrison. Milligan's is better than Claremont now, IMO.

The new issue was really cool. I found the story great and even the art. You would think that I would hate the team of Claremont and Bacholo. But his art is a lot cleaner and really cool. Some really top notch stuff.

The arc with Billy Tan was interesting. I liked how the Shi'ar are still having the hatred for Phoenix, though that may seem really old and out of touch by now. But since Rachel is the Phoenix now, it's interesting to see the new aspects of how this is all dealt with since it's another person. Billy's art was good, and I still really hate the Sentinels, though I like how they make things more interesting story wise, mainly because they're piloted by humans and they're trying to 'protect' the X-Men.

The last arc before Claremont signs off started pretty good. Bachalo is back to do the last arc with Claremont. His art, IMO, has been better than say a year ago when he did the AoA 10 Year Anniversary mini. Now we get to find out why Jammie Braddock has been popping up for the last 2 years around the series and why Psylocke came back from the dead, which Jammie has something to do with it. Whatever is going on, it seems Uatu is involved as he showed up this issue.

Now, the rest of this arc will be plotted by Claremont and dialogued by Tony Bedard due to Claremont being treated for Cardiac Stress. Hope Claremont gets better soon.

Ice said:
The arc with Billy Tan was interesting. I liked how the Shi'ar are still having the hatred for Phoenix, though that may seem really old and out of touch by now. But since Rachel is the Phoenix now, it's interesting to see the new aspects of how this is all dealt with since it's another person. Billy's art was good, and I still really hate the Sentinels, though I like how they make things more interesting story wise, mainly because they're piloted by humans and they're trying to 'protect' the X-Men.

The last arc before Claremont signs off started pretty good. Bachalo is back to do the last arc with Claremont. His art, IMO, has been better than say a year ago when he did the AoA 10 Year Anniversary mini. Now we get to find out why Jammie Braddock has been popping up for the last 2 years around the series and why Psylocke came back from the dead, which Jammie has something to do with it. Whatever is going on, it seems Uatu is involved as he showed up this issue.

Now, the rest of this arc will be plotted by Claremont and dialogued by Tony Bedard due to Claremont being treated for Cardiac Stress. Hope Claremont gets better soon.

I liked it. But the Uatu part was all wtf?. The art was fantastic in it. I liked the whole come together song and the "I perfer hip hop". I love that song. Plus I'm bored of the Shiar against the Phoenix stories. They seem to be half of Claremont's stories.

C+

Last edited:

It ended good. It made sense. Psyloke is the badass chick I wanted her to be. I'm glad that someone else wrote this.

Now I'm looking forward to Brubaker when he takes over.

I got my Brubaker first issue, and I won't spoil anything yet except to say that I am thrilled at how good this book is going to get... I love Brubaker's X-Men... And I am looking forward to almost everything about this arc

But most importantly... They've made the covers very nostalgically... There's a box in the upper lefthand corner with the current lineup in tiny-head form, up there with the Marvel Logo...

This arc is going to be sweet.

Dr.Strangefate said:
But most importantly... They've made the covers very nostalgically... There's a box in the upper lefthand corner with the current lineup in tiny-head form, up there with the Marvel Logo...

Thats quite cool, i remeber them doing that back in the 90's????
I'm going to get this series in trade...... but thats a long time to wait :(

Dr.Strangefate said:
Yeap. The classic covers are back. It's the same for X-Men, but now it's done better.

Brubaker? Doing 12 issues? Making the X-Men cool again?

Sold.

This was a great first issue. I liked how he used the flashbacks. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

I like Astonishing and Uncanny. I hear X-Factor is good. X-Men might be good, but not too interested in Carey. Could mutants be finally on a good rise?

Latest posts

Back