Venture Bros. Season Four

I've got to throw in with the Dr. Venture didn't know it was broken camp. If he did it invalidates a lot of character growth. I think he just knew everything would work out. Again. Its not his first doomsday senario after all.

I felt like that character shift in season two was kind of abrupt and arbitrary. I think it would make more sense if that growth was a red herring, and the real turning point for the character is the break between season three and four, where he realizes he doesn't have the clone safety net anymore.

"We haven't been outside in thirty years. I'm old and afraid of everything!"

"I'm afraid that the streets are overrun with teenaged gangs!"

"They are cruel and will undoubtedly taunt us because our trousers are not in style any more!"

Last edited:
"We haven't been outside in thirty years. I'm old and afraid of everything!"

"I'm afraid that the streets are overrun with teenaged gangs!"

"They are cruel and will undoubtedly taunt us because our trousers are not in style any more!"

You have a better memory for quotes than I do.

...seriously? Then what the hell is he? I guess as long as he's going for post pubecents he dodges the technical deffinition and we just move into creepy and wrong territory...

He's a play on Batman. He doesn't realize that everything he does comes across insanely creepy, he's just overwhelmingly concerned for the safety of his ward. In his mind, it's all innocent.

Doesn't matter if he's actually a pedophile or not. All the humor in his episode was about pedophilia.

Fair enough. I think we're going to have an episode that deals with Hatred directly (maybe even this sunday), and that'll get most of that running joke out of the way.

He's a play on Batman. He doesn't realize that everything he does comes across insanely creepy, he's just overwhelmingly concerned for the safety of his ward. In his mind, it's all innocent.

Even when he kissed Hank in the mouth? I mean it seemed like he was presented as a pedo.

You shouldn't get into King Crimson at this stage in your training, you could turn out to be an evil internet messiah. I would suggest something accesible like Asia, but why not jump into some primo ****, all you have to do is say Yes.

Avoid Floyd holes.

Also, Rush is a good a place as any to get into Prog rock, sure they can often be seen as the poster boys that kinda cliche the genre (not my view, not even close personally I love them), but they kinda stradle the line between something purely Prog like Yes and something more Hard Rock in nature like Led Zeppelin, so you can acquire a taste for Prog over-time instead of diving in head first and being turned off by something minor. I'd suggest Moving Pictures, Hemispheres, or Farewell to Kings.

*writes this down*

I can really see Hank and Dermit signing up for OSI in some manner by the end of the season.

Can you imagine those two in basic training?

I think they're possibly already too Batman to be in basic training.

I'm also loving this whole thing about the Guild originally being a social group for has-been rock stars.

Last edited:
I'm also loving this whole thing about the Guild originally being a social group for has-been rock stars.

Dude.... Not has-beens. There's no way you can justify calling Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper has-beens.

But I agree. I love the secret history of rock 'n roll angle. Just too brilliant for words.

Last edited:
I thought Phantom Limb referenced them as has-beens? I don't know enough about music to claim one way or the other.

Buddy Holly moreso than the Big Bopper, but they were both at the peak of their popularity when the plane with them in it crashed and killed them.

Buddy Holly moreso than the Big Bopper, but they were both at the peak of their popularity when the plane with them in it crashed and killed them.

And Buddy Holly was still a baby, early twenties. The Big Bopper couldn't have been much older.

That lame old song "American Pie" is about them.

I hope John Lennon is a member of the Guild.

I think I figured out who the rest of the council of 13 are

Ritchie Valens, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jim Croce, and half of Lynyrd Skynyrd

Them, Buddy Holly, and Big Bopper all died in plane crashes

It'd be great to see like a Guild witness protection program type set-up populated solely by deceased musicians, Lennon, Harrison, Bonham, Moon, Hendrix, Cash, Morrison, Garcia, Joplin, Orbison, Elvis, Duane Allman, Cobain, Bon Scott, etc., and of course Zappa

Last edited:
I think I figured out who the rest of the council of 13 are

Ritchie Valens, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jim Croce, and half of Lynyrd Skynyrd

Them, Buddy Holly, and Big Bopper all died in plane crashes

It'd be great to see like a Guild witness protection program type set-up populated solely by deceased musicians, Lennon, Harrison, Bonham, Moon, Hendrix, Cash, Morrison, Garcia, Joplin, Orbison, Elvis, Duane Allman, Cobain, Bon Scott, etc., and of course Zappa

I think that's a pretty sketchy assumption. I don't think the "plane crash" angle is all that relevant. Except for Ronnie Van Zant I don't think Lynyrd Skynyrd really qualifies as "pioneers of rock 'n roll". Look at it this way. When Fantoma first reformed the Guild, it appeared to be just an excuse to start a "rock symphony". It consisted of Holly, the Bopper, and a rhythm section of random rockabilly stars. Ritchie Valens wasn't present, so that scratches him out. Somewhere following that the Guild was repurposed as something more closely resembling its original purpose, and at some point following that, Bowie took over, at which point the Guild presumably decided it wasn't necessary for the membership to fake their deaths. Since Bowie's glam rock/punk rock/synth retinue seems to resemble a sort of new guard, I'd say the window for membership in the Council would fall somewhere from the mid sixties, when a transition in the Guild would seem first feasible to the mid-to-late seventies when Bowie's fame sort of reached its crescendo. Mind you, this is all estimation because we really don't know ****.

But as long as we're cherry picking musicians to belong, I'll take a stab at it, assuming the deaths and musical styles of the Council all precede Bowie's brand of rock. Mind, these are all stabs in the dark, which I figure is about the best we can do until we find out more. Either way, we're probably over-thinking it all.

Jimi Hendrix/Janis Joplin/Jim Morrison: The three J's. Mentioned before, but I feel they're the obvious ones. They represent a sort of trifecta of rock music that signaled a dramatic, revolutionary shift. Their deaths are frequently tied together, most notably by a range of conspiracy theories that suggest they were all murdered by the Man. Their deaths were lumped over a relatively short period of time, and Morrison in particular had a lot of conspiracy theories about him still being alive. This trinity of deaths symbolically represented the death of the flower generation and the rise of the excess generation of the seventies, a zeitgeist that Bowie rode high on. Apparently Morrison held a superstition that he'd die at age 27 like his contemporaries.

Brian Jones: Another member of the 27 club, he died in 1969 and served as an instrumental founder of the Stones.

Duane Allman: Died in 1977. One of the greatest guitarists of all time, and his music heralded back to earlier forms of blues inspired rock.

Ronnie Van Zandt: I didn't think of him until Gemini mentioned him, but I think he's a remarkably good fit. '77 as well.

Sid Vicious: 1979. ;) What can I say? I just like Sid, and seeing Jackson Publick's take on a Sid Vicious thirty years older would be a riot.

Elvis Presley: '77. The King of Rock 'n Roll, man. If there was ever a fit...

Keith Moon: Remarkable drummer for the Who. '78. The Who practically invented the use of bass guitar in modern rock music, but Entwhistle didn't die until the twenty-first century. But Keith is equally as legendary and talented.

Syd Barrett: He didn't die until a few years back, but he was a peculiar dude and I think the odd and hermetic existence he led after he went mad along with the influence and era of his genius make him a good fit for the mythology of it all.

I'm not sure who I'd peg for the last member, but I'm sure it will come to me. I could see Lennon as a late addition. Possibly Angus MacLise from the Velvet Underground. But I'm not entirely sure they all need to be musicians.

Last edited:
I was largely joking

The Big Bopper and Buddy Holly's implied identities in the episode reminded me of a joke from Clone High, thought I'd try and use it, didn't work out right

(Abe's running to catch a plane)

Abe: "Buuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddyyyyyyyyy HHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! Hey, do you have any room left on your plane?"

Buddy Holly: "Well, let's see...it's me, Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jim Croce, and half of Lynyrd Skynyrd....Yeah, I think we got one more spot."

Abe: "...Alright."

Latest posts

Back