Re: Amazing Spider-Man series discussion (spoilers)

This book is meh.

I have a feeling that after Civil War ends there's gonna be a huge drop in the number of titles I'll be picking up. This will probbaly be one of them.

It's just getting harder and harder to care about Spidey these days.

Spidey went anti-reg, maybe the book will get really interesing some time soon.

This issue starts at the motel with the hooker seen in the last one recognizing Peter as Spider-man. She makes a call to her friend and tells her about her big pay day.
We then see Cap talking to Johnny Storm about Spidey's newscast and that now Tony will be pulling out all the stops to get him. Cap tells Torch to find him because he may need protection. Johny makes a just spider symbol and the words "call me" in the sky.
The Wilson Fisk is having a visit in prison. They discuss how Spidey is now an open target and they have a lead. The man asks if he still wants to take him out. Fisk says to do it and makes it clear that if Spidey doesnt get killed anyone else would do and that its "the thought that counts"
So we cut to Cap discussing with Falcon whether meeting with Spidey is the right thing to do, if Tony manipulated him into this position to trap them. And how the public is focusing on that Spidey is switching sides instead of the prison. Cap decides to go and they talk on a rooftop. Pete asks him how can he, a person who pretty much is the country, can go against what the public is saying. Cap tells Pete when he was 12 he read a book by Mark Twain with changed his life an he recites this quote he memorized. He pretty much says that in a republic people must do what they think is right, that what a country is, is not defined by the government but by the individual choices of the people. And if the majority of the public says move and do something you believe is wrong you must plant yourself firm and say "no you move." Spidey goes with him saying it feels good to be on the right side again.
Meanwhile a hitman is being breifed on his job after that. The Hit man says his two trade secrets is sleeping on the job and never leave a direct connection a live to testify, he then kills the other guy and lights the car on fire. The hit man knocks on their door asking if they need more towels, Mary declines and closes the door. The man puts a devise on the edge, most likely an explosive and sets a sniper scoop on the window.
We the see Spidey with the anti regs. Cap states the final battle is coming up and tell Pete the when plan a fight you must know what they know, What you know, and what you don't know. And that there is always been something you left out of the equation. Issue ends with May and MJ in the crosshairs of a sniper scope.

This issue was okay, the high points was Cap's speech, which was very simular with Reeds a few issues earlier, and when the hitman killed the guy. I hate when they say things like "the final showdown is coming" it really makes this feel more unrealistic and more of a blatant crossover.

3/5

Ugh. I'm dropping this book after Civil War. Seriously. And the only reason I'm sticking out this much is because I've only got one issue left in the arc.

After that they're going back to the stupid black costume. Why is it that the only hype Marvel can give Spiderman is the fact that he changes his costume. How weak is that? Last year it was Iron Spidey...this year it's the black costume...next year they'll do something different with the costume and make a big hul-a-baloo over it.

Here's a thought Marvel---try this----instead of gimmicky costume changes....how about really good stories? Oh wait----you tried the big story thing already and what did it give us? Oh yeah---Spidey reborn with spikes in his wrists. Forgot about that. Ugh.

And once again---the writers are bogging Spidey down with trying to make him more important than he is. He's just a guy who can stick to walls. Not a tide-turner in a major event. Jeez....what next---is he gonna have a run in with Madame Webb who tells him that he'll have to lead another team of heroes in space and then an army of clones against something? Ugh again......

Ugh. I'm dropping this book after Civil War. Seriously. And the only reason I'm sticking out this much is because I've only got one issue left in the arc.

After that they're going back to the stupid black costume. Why is it that the only hype Marvel can give Spiderman is the fact that he changes his costume. How weak is that? Last year it was Iron Spidey...this year it's the black costume...next year they'll do something different with the costume and make a big hul-a-baloo over it.

Here's a thought Marvel---try this----instead of gimmicky costume changes....how about really good stories? Oh wait----you tried the big story thing already and what did it give us? Oh yeah---Spidey reborn with spikes in his wrists. Forgot about that. Ugh.

And once again---the writers are bogging Spidey down with trying to make him more important than he is. He's just a guy who can stick to walls. Not a tide-turner in a major event. Jeez....what next---is he gonna have a run in with Madame Webb who tells him that he'll have to lead another team of heroes in space and then an army of clones against something? Ugh again......

If the writers want him to get taken seriously, maybe he should get his *** kicked less often.

Just sayin'.

asm-538-variant.jpg

Speculate away!

Last edited:

I'm going with this theory I posted that's quoted from Millarworld. I think it fits right in with the cover, in terms of Peter's face. He's crying, holding someone.

So yeap.

I'm going with this theory I posted that's quoted from Millarworld. I think it fits right in with the cover, in terms of Peter's face. He's crying, holding someone.

So yeap.
That's a damn good theory. Much better than most I've heard. My only problem with that would be that I hate seeing reality get altered.

I'm more inclined to think that Aunt May dies because from NA #27 he seems pretty together. I don't think he would be if he lost his wife. At least with an elderly aunt, there's the feeling that she lived a long life and that you had many good years with them.

If you saw the last season of Angel, this is basically what Angel did to help his tormented son. He had reality altered so that Connor had a happy childhood and that no one knew he was his son, including Connor.

I thought it worked well with the show, but that was primarily because that was a one time thing and because of that it had major significance.

Maybe both, the shocking retardness caused him to void his bowels

That's it.

They should know better than to reveal that much. That was too easy.

Maybe both, the shocking retardness caused him to void his bowels
Didn't you read the warning label on the cover that said, "Caution: readers who expect decent writing in their comic books and/or readers with weak bowels should only read this issue while sitting on a toilet and/or wearing a diaper?"

Last edited:

Didn't you read the warning label on the cover that said, "Caution: readers who expect decent writing in their comic books and/or readers with weak bowels should only read this issue while sitting on a toilet and/or wearing a diaper?"

They really need to make that label bigger. I made a mess all over my bed the first time I read issue #101.

I'm more inclined to think that Aunt May dies because from NA #27 he seems pretty together. I don't think he would be if he lost his wife. At least with an elderly aunt, there's the feeling that she lived a long life and that you had many good years with them.

Let me get this straight. You're actually basing your theory on a notion that Bendis honored an established point of continuity? One established by another writer nonetheless?

Okay. Just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

ASM #538 is a Civil War tie-in
so half of the cover, will be just "civil war tie-in" in some color.
don't get too interested with it

why would Craine be doing this cover? i swear that is an old image, ive seen pretty much everything Craine's done since "Venom/Carnage", and that definatley is an old image, this image is going to be completely swapped out for a half-cover done by Garney

Latest posts

Back