Re: Amazing Spider-Man series discussion (spoilers)

Victor Von Doom said:
#534 was ok. Nothing too special. We get more internal conflict with Peter and how he's torn in his actions.

Plus we also get a small peak at Tony's sinisterness. He knew about Peter's Spidey Sense but Peter never told him about that. We see Spidey really begin to question the new armor.
I was blown away by the spider sense thing. First off, I had no idea he hadn't told anyone but Aunt May and MJ about it. Also, I was shocked that Tony would know something like that. It seems to foreshadow the idea that Tony knows more than anyone gives him credit for.

It seems weird somehow that Peter's Spider Sense is supposed to be top secret.

Doesn't he sometime brag about it during fights? And isn't his anticipation of danger well documented by now? In particular by anyone who has seen him in action repeatedly, such as Tony?

If Tony really found out about the Spider-Sense through the suit, I get what Millar is trying to do. Make Tony the villain of the piece. I'm not too familiar about 616 Tony. Does he fit the bill?

But either way I found it hard to believe that Peter's spider sense is that tight a secret.

Last edited:

I was very impressed with this issue. It gave me a unsettling feeling for what Peter is doing, and that's good writing. The whole thing feels off, Peter's identity being known to the world, Peter fighting Captain America, the whole thing. Even Peter acknowledges it. Good touch with Iron Man too.

This little push back/ delay we are having sucks.

This issue was good, not great.

I liked how we got to see the prison in the negative zone where the super-powered "criminals" are. And we saw how Peter starts to see the madness in Tony's big plan. The discussion between Peter and Reed was alright, but there seemed to be something holding this issue back.

It might be that the CW and ASM covers revealed months ago that Peter would switch sides. It would have been better if we didn't know what was going to happen.

Still.......... 4/5

Last edited:

What happened?
Stark leaves Peter in this safe house and tells him to clear his head. Tony announces he's going out of town on business.

Peter figure's he's seen enough sneaks around the high security in Stark Towers and wakes MJ and May up and tells them they have to leave the house now. There's a loud crash and the last page shows...

Iron Man tackling Spider-Man

Spider-Man: "I thought you were going out of town."

Iron Man: " I thought you knew what side you were on."

This is probably the most interesting Amazing has been in a looong time! JMS deserves major kudos for this arc. Man I can't wait for the next issue! Peter's life is about to seriously go into the toilet.
Poor choices still continue to haunt him.

So, the short lived partnership of Iron Man and Spider-Man is over. I can't believe Peter put his new suit on. The one Tony built for him! I can already see Tony override the suits controls and stopping Peter in his tracks. Then Cap comes out of nowhere and save him. Thus, the transition is complete.

My stomach was turning as I was getting closer to the best damn ending this book has had in a while.

5/5

So, the short lived partnership of Iron Man and Spider-Man is over. I can't believe Peter put his new suit on. The one Tony built for him! I can already see Tony override the suits controls and stopping Peter in his tracks. Then Cap comes out of nowhere and save him. Thus, the transition is complete.

Or maybe Spider-man just run away. So Tony calls the new Thunderbolts, that would lead to the cover of CW 5.

Meh, Iron Man is the new Wolverine. Awesome issue though.

The theme of this issue was that Peter made a mistake by allying himself with Tony and SHIELD. Mistakes have consequences and I think that's going to be a theme that will carry through the rest of CW and beyond.(i.e. someone dies)

I enjoyed finally getting a full glimpse of the N-zone prison Iron Man has built. He is truly crazy and civil war has turned him from one of my favorate characters into quite possibly my least. I also enjoyed the whole irony thing with reed's uncle being so much like uncle ben. I would give this issue a 4.5 out of 5.

Even when I first started reading comics , I always wanted to see Iron Man and Spidey on same side , something like Peter taking War Machine's place.

My childhood dream came true with the New Avengers stroy (well surely not as close as I wanted it to be(no I am not telling them to go gay)), and kept on for a while , eventhough I feel bad for the breaking of the Alliance.The new shape of their relationship will be really interesting.

I especially love the idea of Spidey going vigilante , I missed his bad-*** attitude.So yeah , ASM #535 has been the best spidey issue I have read for a real long time.

I just read 536, and now I have no idea what's going on. MAJOR disappointment--the fight between Tony and Peter is barely shown and they skip from Peter running around in the sewers to a completely uninjured Peter checking May and MJ into a crappy hotel. :-?

There's even a footnote referencing Civil War #6. Oh, yeah, I'll just go to my friendly neighborhood comic shop and pick it up through the time vortex in the back. Not a problem.

JMS is leaving this title after some line wide story. Hopefully not The Other 2.

It would be awesome if this was Millar/Hitch's 36 issue project. :shock:

I just read 536, and now I have no idea what's going on. MAJOR disappointment--the fight between Tony and Peter is barely shown and they skip from Peter running around in the sewers to a completely uninjured Peter checking May and MJ into a crappy hotel. :-?

There's even a footnote referencing Civil War #6. Oh, yeah, I'll just go to my friendly neighborhood comic shop and pick it up through the time vortex in the back. Not a problem.

Bwahaha!

I also didn't get the lack of near-death Spidey. I mean, that was pretty huge. How can it be completely avoided? That was a rhetorical question, of course.

I haven't been reading this Civil War tie in arc but this issue was easy enough to follow. No too bad, excusing the aforementioned screwup. Not a huge fan of the art, but this issue read a lot like some of the older JMS/Deodato Jr. issues, which is a good thing.

Latest posts

Back