Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
Victor Von Doom said:
I do find it ironic that Capt America now has to turn to the exact same people he told to hang up the costumes, for help.

Yay Young Avengers indeed.

Yeah I was thinking that too... Cable is with them... he is not some kind of Jesus? Why not just explode something and everyone be happy ever after?

Just to comment on an earlier post....

I too think its pretty cool......and a little odd that the top new story for Yahoo! is that Spidey unmasks.

News Link

Not to get too off-topic....
Marvel Comics on the event of Spidey unmasking said:
"arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

In your opinion...how valid is this statement? I mean how big of an impact do you think Spidey unmasking will make.....not just in the Civil War.....but in comics in general.

Not just Yahoo, I bet either, since this was huge news in a newspaper; WAY bigger than anything else revealed in newspaper about comics, not matter what comic company.

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
Just to comment on an earlier post....

I too think its pretty cool......and a little odd that the top new story for Yahoo! is that Spidey unmasks.

News Link

Not to get too off-topic....

In your opinion...how valid is this statement? I mean how big of an impact do you think Spidey unmasking will make.....not just in the Civil War.....but in comics in general.
I haven't heard anything about Spidey being unmasked until I read it in this thread. I have heard a lot of talk about the Batwoman lesbian thing, but I don't see why that's so controversial.

Spidey being unmasked will be retconned in the near future. It's just like the Death of Superman. The media doesn't understand that things like this are never really permanent, so they think it's a big story.

Ultimate Warrior said:
I expect Fury to be the major force that ends the Civil War in the last issue.

Amen to that.

Firstly. I loved issue 2. So dark and the art just made exponentially better. The only problem I had was the final page to me was no big deal. I thought Frontline's revealation of the Stanford survivor was better than this.

Daredevil's pissin' me off though.

5/5

Last edited:
This blows. Unmasking Spider-Man is stupid, pointless, and is so not what he's about. I agree that it will be retconned, just like any other ballsy moves Marvel makes. Maybe we'll find out that it's really Ben Reilly! Or better yet, Kaine! :roll:

Someone suggested Johnny would die. No way. And even if he did it would be retconned.

The best part about this? Captain America leading the resistance, and the possibility of getting Fury back.

Other than that (and the great art), a big fat "meh". I suppose it would be better if there was the remotest possibility that any of it would stick, but it won't.

E said:
This blows. Unmasking Spider-Man is stupid, pointless, and is so not what he's about.
I couldn't disagree with you more. It would only be stupid and pointless if it did not serve a purpose to this story and what will happen/happening with him throughout this mini and in Amazing.

And not what he's about? With something like this going on, it is going to change people. And it looks like it's starting with Peter. It's not what he's about before this, but under the circumstances, that doesn't hold up in here, sorry.

Ice said:
I couldn't disagree with you more. It would only be stupid and pointless if it did not serve a purpose to this story and what will happen/happening with him throughout this mini and in Amazing.

And not what he's about? With something like this going on, it is going to change people. And it looks like it's starting with Peter. It's not what he's about before this, but under the circumstances, that doesn't hold up in here, sorry.

All these years he goes on and one about protecting his identity in order to protect May and MJ...and then he just decides that he agrees with Tony Stark to the point where he throws all that out? Dumb.

Unmasking a character is a HUGE deal. Bigger than huge. Look at how it was done/how it's being done in Daredevil. It's a story that progressed over - what - 10 arcs? And it's still not resolved. Matt Murdock is fighting it tooth and nail. And he has lost so much over it. Peter Parker stands to lose a lot more, and he just goes ahead with it. And Spider-Man is a much bigger character than Daredevil. His having a secret identity is an integral part of the character. It was haphazard and doesn't make any sense.

E said:
All these years he goes on and one about protecting his identity in order to protect May and MJ...and then he just decides that he agrees with Tony Stark to the point where he throws all that out? Dumb.

Unmasking a character is a HUGE deal. Bigger than huge. Look at how it was done/how it's being done in Daredevil. It's a story that progressed over - what - 10 arcs? And it's still not resolved. Matt Murdock is fighting it tooth and nail. And he has lost so much over it. Peter Parker stands to lose a lot more, and he just goes ahead with it. And Spider-Man is a much bigger character than Daredevil. His having a secret identity is an integral part of the character. It was haphazard and doesn't make any sense.
And Peter Parker is also brilliant besides making stupid mistakes. I don't think he'd do something like this without thinking it all the way through first, or at least, have a plan. Like you said, he stands to loose a lot more, so Peter wouldn't do something like this without having an idea of what to do next.

Ice said:

Totally agree.

E said:

It's called decompression. Bendis is famous for it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You say it like it's a bad thing?

Yeah - if that's the case I couldn't disagree more. There isn't a single issue in the 10+ arcs I've read that felt like filler. It was a major event, and every arc, every issue, deals with all of the consequences of that revelation, and the consequences that stem from those consequences. Like I said, it's not something to be taken lightly. I feel like Peter's unmasking is being taken extremely lightly.

E said:
I feel like Peter's unmasking is being taken extremely lightly.
I don't see how that can happen with someone like him. I think this will have a big effect on not him, but everyone he knows, too. I'm guessing this is part of bringing Peter "back to the basics" for what Joe said.

Ice said:
I don't see how that can happen with someone like him. I think this will have a big effect on not him, but everyone he knows, too. I'm guessing this is part of bringing Peter "back to the basics" for what Joe said.

I'm sure it "will have" a huge effect, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the process he as a character went through in deciding this is something he should do.

So i just finished reading #2. Now, comix are shipped everywhere around the country on wednesday, right? Cause here's the thing. I collect ultimate everything, and really only picked up civil war to just get an idea of this big event in the main universe, cause i'm reading the new moon knight and want the new ghost rider when that starts, so i wanna see what's going on. I'm in New York, and THE NY POST SPOILED THE WHOLE UNMASKING IN THE PAPER TODAY. And i don't even read the post, it's a rag. the story from the post was on some other media website that NEVER talks about comics at all. So anyway, bad enough i got spoiled, but the newspaper that spoiled it was on the streets and in offices starting at like 630 in the morning, before anyone could actually go to comic stores and buy the issue!!! fine, it's a big pop culture story, but they could've AT LEAST waited until TOMORROW to print the story. sorry, just had to vent about that. thoughts?:furious:

Dancanread said:
So i just finished reading #2. Now, comix are shipped everywhere around the country on wednesday, right? Cause here's the thing. I collect ultimate everything, and really only picked up civil war to just get an idea of this big event in the main universe, cause i'm reading the new moon knight and want the new ghost rider when that starts, so i wanna see what's going on. I'm in New York, and THE NY POST SPOILED THE WHOLE UNMASKING IN THE PAPER TODAY. And i don't even read the post, it's a rag. the story from the post was on some other media website that NEVER talks about comics at all. So anyway, bad enough i got spoiled, but the newspaper that spoiled it was on the streets and in offices starting at like 630 in the morning, before anyone could actually go to comic stores and buy the issue!!! fine, it's a big pop culture story, but they could've AT LEAST waited until TOMORROW to print the story. sorry, just had to vent about that. thoughts?:furious:
To be fair:

It was released the same day as the comic. So it's not the medias fault you read it before the issue.

Also, this media DOES talk about comics. It talks about it from time to time. Just recently they had an article about the new Batwoman.

Ice said:
To be fair:

It was released the same day as the comic. So it's not the medias fault you read it before the issue.

Also, this media DOES talk about comics. It talks about it from time to time. Just recently they had an article about the new Batwoman.

Well, okay, yeah, when something big happens it's talked about a little, but the fact it was released the same day is what i really take issue with. There should be a lag time of at least a day. And besides, they wouldn't ruin the ending of a Harry Potter book or some popular movie with a big revelation on page six of a widely distributed newspaper! Why with a comic book?

Latest posts

Back