Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
Dancanread said:
Well, okay, yeah, when something big happens it's talked about a little, but the fact it was released the same day is what i really take issue with. There should be a lag time of at least a day.
If it's the same day, it's all fair game, really. If it was released before, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Ice said:
If it's the same day, it's all fair game, really. If it was released before, that's a different story.

Well, i guess i just disagree about the same day. And though it was only by a few hours, the story in the paper was released before the issue.

E said:
I'm sure it "will have" a huge effect, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the process he as a character went through in deciding this is something he should do.

You haven't been reading the Amazing Spider-Man tie-ins.

Since JMS can only write one great book at a time, and Squadron Supreme is mediocre... Guess what? ASM has been picking up a lot.

It really showed how conflicted he was, and then Civil War frontline threw in the other side when it shows he still sympathizes with the masked.

I GUARENTEE he switches sides.

The difference is that he has been outed. They know who he is, and he's going to be on the run, leaving MJ and Aunt May because he cares too much about their safety...

He'll probably set up in a new city under a new identity post CW.

Dancanread said:
Well, okay, yeah, when something big happens it's talked about a little, but the fact it was released the same day is what i really take issue with. There should be a lag time of at least a day. And besides, they wouldn't ruin the ending of a Harry Potter book or some popular movie with a big revelation on page six of a widely distributed newspaper! Why with a comic book?

Okay.

Here's the deal.

Average Joe Somebody doesn't read comic books, but he knows who spider-man is, and hey, there might be a comic book shop on the way home from work. He reads that Spider-Man loses his secret identity and scratches his head and says, gee, thats a hell of a plot idea.

So he goes to the comic book shop, and what do you know? They've got issues of the new Civil War comic out on display because it just came out today.

They put it in the NY Post to get New Yorkers who read the post in the mornings to the comic shops during their lunch breaks or on the route home.

Its a great marketing ploy, and creates interest more than it pisses off fans.

**** this...

Spider-Man's not even the most interesting character in Civil War. We knew he'd unmask himself. We know he's gonna switch sides.

What about Captain America? What about Iron Man? What about Captain America and Iron Man? What about the villains? The Young Avengers? The whole Daredevil scenerio? Cable's sitting there greeting the YA with the resistance. I didn't even rate the issue based on the last page because I was completely indifferent by it. Too much to focus on Spider-Man. He's lame in comparison to everyone else right now.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
What about Captain America? What about Iron Man? What about Captain America and Iron Man? What about the villains? The Young Avengers? The whole Daredevil scenerio?
You know...I think, I may not be sure...but I think there's 5 more issues in this mini. It's not going to be ALL with Cap and Iron Man. There are plenty of others to focus on as well besides the "big two" that will clash and see more of later on.

Second issue, kiddo.

They're building up to something bigger.

We also know the Iron Man vs. Captain America fight is going to happen, and soon.

This is exposition, and its exposition that changes the status quo. Superheroes are being hunted and shot at. Reed Richards is ignoring the hell out of his wife. Spider-Man just outed himself, doing one thing that might change everything...

He's set a precedent, and has called out Captain America as encouraging wanton violence.

This is big stuff as it is.

If you were expecting the climax in the second issue, than you're crazy.

Ice said:
You know...I think, I may not be sure...but I think there's 5 more issues in this mini. It's not going to be ALL with Cap and Iron Man. There are plenty of others to focus on as well besides the "big two" that will clash and see more of later on.
Speaking as someone who's fairly indifferent to Spidey, and lets say for a moment that I actually had listened to the hype and taken this as what it was billed as- an ethical clash between two factions in the marvel U- and what I got was an issue of Spidey, yeah, I'd be unimpressed.

Caduceus said:
Speaking as someone who's fairly indifferent to Spidey, and lets say for a moment that I actually had listened to the hype and taken this as what it was billed as- an ethical clash between two factions in the marvel U- and what I got was an issue of Spidey, yeah, I'd be unimpressed.

But it isnt an issue of Spidey.

The big revelation was Spidey-centric, but the rest of the issue dealt with how the resistance is growing and is supported by Nick Fury, and how Tony Stark is second-guessing himself with all of this.

I'm not commenting on the issues. I'm commenting on the speculation that is Spider-Man. I find it boring.

Anyway, I found the theory Reed had about apocalyptic events from the super-human activities pretty interesting. Because I kind've think about that when I consider real life crime and the attitudes of people and how they progress. Just keeps gettin' worse and worse.

Caduceus said:
A lot of stories are like that. And a lot of stories do have parts where it focuses on other situations/people, no matter how it was "hyped" or not.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Too much to focus on Spider-Man.

The focus is properly on him right now because although Tony is the figurehead of the Pro-Registration Act, and although there are others whose identity are already known.....they never let it be known in an instant like this. And certainly not of Spidey's magnitude or caliber. This is the 1st major hero to go public with his ID.

It's basically to show the magnitude of the situation.

Last edited:
As surprised as I was I think it shoud have been expected. I mean he got a taste of the sweet life in HoM. Don't you think he might want his life to be something like that? Ms. Marvel is doing the exact thing. She wants to be all famous and great like Cap. What do you all think?

Civil War #2 was awesome. I know it focused more on Spidey but every great battle and War has the politics behind it that's what were getting now I think were gonna see some cool and crazy stuff in the next issue or in Civil War #4. But the revelation in the last page was awesome.

Dr.Strangefate said:
You haven't been reading the Amazing Spider-Man tie-ins.

I have actually. Has there been more to it than just him taking his mask off at the end of Civil War #2? Sure. Did it feel like a proper buildup where we were really treated to a true breakdown of the consequences of what would happen if he went ahead with it? Not at all.

I'm sorry to keep bringing up Daredevil, but like I've said before - that's doing it right. The idea that he will switch sides or whatever doesn't make things any better. In fact, it makes it worse.

I liked the issue. It was an honest follow up the first issue. It didn't have the same kind of bang as the first, but it simultaneously the conflict and set up future conflicts. That makes it a good read in my opinion.

The only oddity in this issue was that it was written it couldn't only really be appreciated if you had read Amazing Spider-Man and Frontline.

What I hate is that this issue is being characterized by the final page. People are talking about it like it left you with a cliff hanger ending and that just wasn't the case. The unmasking of Spider-Man is a rather resolute thing to do.

I won't try and talked about how they're going to deal with it. Hell writer are probably going to use that as a source of material for years to come. Unmasking Spider-Man definitely was a major thing to do, but I think it did more than change the character. It set the tone for the rest of Civil War. Earth shattering changes are on there way.

The rest of the issue is what I found interesting. I can't wait to see Sue leave Reed. That is really going to shake things up. I think this "Number Forty-Two" is going to be the source of some interesting stories. Probably going to center around a prison break. I would have thought the New Avengers could have come up with a fight. In fact I'm a little disappointed they're going with the opposition.

BTW, since when does Cap wear glasses? It seems like a terrible disguise. I'm also a little bit surprised such a public figure as Cap would be recognized in public.

Who was everyone in the Safe House. I recognized:

Captain America
Falcon
Cable
Cloak
Daredevil
Luke Cage
The Young Avengers

4/5

MaxwellSmart said:
The only oddity in this issue was that it was written it couldn't only really be appreciated if you had read Amazing Spider-Man and Frontline.

Yeah...I noticed that too. But I guess I paid it no mind since I did read Amazing Spider-Man and Frontline.

Without reading those 2 tie-ins....Spiderman unmasking just seems "like the thing to do". But when you read the tie-ins, you get the fact that he was struggling with the decision. You get the reasons why he did it. So yeah...it wasn't poor writing....just not fully thought out.

MaxwellSmart said:
BTW, since when does Cap wear glasses? It seems like a terrible disguise. I'm also a little bit surprised such a public figure as Cap would be recognized in public.

He doesn't wear glasses. It's a terrible disguise in the same terms that Superman can be disguised by glasses. No one expects it. Cap is a man who can dodge bullets because he "sees faster".......he just doesn't need 'em.

Also from what I gathered...it looked as if everyone was wearing helmets and then took them off in the truck. So of course no one is gonna recognize him with his face covered.

Also....I think that just because his real identity is known...he doesn't go around broadcasting it. I don't think he takes his mask off all the time in public.....just around those he knows.

I say this based on reading Cap's individual series. He walks around with his mask off and outta uniform all the time.....but nobody recognizes him until he makes it known that he's the baddest mofo ever.

So yeah...not the smartest disguise ever, but if its worked for Supes for decades....its good enough for Cap for a few hours. :wink:

Victor Von Doom said:
He doesn't wear glasses. It's a terrible disguise in the same terms that Superman can be disguised by glasses. No one expects it. Cap is a man who can dodge bullets because he "sees faster".......he just doesn't need 'em.

Also from what I gathered...it looked as if everyone was wearing helmets and then took them off in the truck. So of course no one is gonna recognize him with his face covered.

Also....I think that just because his real identity is known...he doesn't go around broadcasting it. I don't think he takes his mask off all the time in public.....just around those he knows.

I say this based on reading Cap's individual series. He walks around with his mask off and outta uniform all the time.....but nobody recognizes him until he makes it known that he's the baddest mofo ever.

So yeah...not the smartest disguise ever, but if its worked for Supes for decades....its good enough for Cap for a few hours. :wink:
I get that kind of logic. I just would have liked to see Cap pull some James Bond disguise for the mission. Not the James Bond wears disguises which is a whole nother issue considering he doesn't even use an alias...But if he did, they would be awesome and that's the kind of thing I expect from Cap.

Apparently it was JQ's idea for Spider-Man to unmask himself...

Latest posts

Back