I got the first trade of this today and I was wondering about how much X-Men lore is needed to enjoy/understand the story. This is basically my first 616 X-Men title and I don't want to find myself confused.

You should be absolutely fine. The idea of E is for Extinction was to bring in new readers, and older ones who had left.

There are things you won't fully appreciate (say, Darkstar) but what you need to know to enjoy and understand the story is there. It's little touches to older continuity you won't get, but it's not going to be detrimental.

You should be fine. Enjoy the ride. :)

Pandrio said:
I got the first trade of this today and I was wondering about how much X-Men lore is needed to enjoy/understand the story. This is basically my first 616 X-Men title and I don't want to find myself confused.

There was a big event where Apocalypse tried to take over the world. Accidently him and Cyclops merged. They defeated him but both were presumed dead. Then was the mini "Search For Cyclops". Where they find him and that he is alive.

The U.N. gave Magneto control of the mutant hating island of Genosha, hoping that would consume his time. He turned the country into a mutant paradise.

Bolivar Trask created the Sentinels.

Xavier got messages from a Shiar rogue princess named Lilarnda. The X-men helped her defeat her evil brother and regain the throne. The two fell in love.

During the space mission Jean was taken over by The Phoenix force. Everyone thought she died but she was alive and brainwashed by the Helffire club that Emma Frost was a part off. She become the dark phoenix and destoryed a sun that killed everyone in that galaxy.

Wolverine was created to be weapon x.

That's all you need to know for the whole run.

This is the greatest series ever. Good reading.

Last edited:
What TUG posted is nice to know, but far from essential in order to understand the story. It was basically a reboot. I hadn't read any X-Men stories in about 12 years before reading this, and I understood everything.

I'd love to hear your thoughts after reading it (or as you're reading it) - this is one of my favorite stories to discuss. :D

Bass said:
You should be absolutely fine. The idea of E is for Extinction was to bring in new readers, and older ones who had left.

There are things you won't fully appreciate (say, Darkstar) but what you need to know to enjoy and understand the story is there. It's little touches to older continuity you won't get, but it's not going to be detrimental.

You should be fine. Enjoy the ride. :)
Thought it would be like that, but I wasn't sure.
E said:
I'd love to hear your thoughts after reading it (or as you're reading it) - this is one of my favorite stories to discuss.
:D
I'll post about it when I finish it, but I have a few more trades I'm reading first.
Looking forward to it.:D

By the way, I don't know if you have it yet, but Vol. 2 "Imperial" is even better than "E is for Extinction." Particularly the last issue.

E said:
By the way, I don't know if you have it yet, but Vol. 2 "Imperial" is even better than "E is for Extinction." Particularly the last issue.

Particularly the last page.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Xavier saying his wheelchair won't be needed.

Yes. The whole issue though, where Stuff/Cassandra Nova get "reprogrammed", and Xorn "heals" everyone. :D

It was pretty good, I liked the way they flipped the annual, but I found it harder to read since it was in the trade.
E said:
Great. I enjoyed "E is for Extinction", but the ending has me hyped for the next trade. I'm thinking about getting it over the weekend.

Last edited:
Pandrio said:
It was pretty good, I liked the way the flipped the annual, but I found it harder to read since it was in the trade.
Great. I enjoyed "E is for Extinction", but the ending has me hyped for the next trade. I'm thinking about getting it over the weekend.

That was the same I felt. I liked the interaction between Domino and Logan.

Plus Cyclops and Xorn at the end.

The ending had me giddy. The 2nd volume is one of the best.

Latest posts

Back