So... First time I hear about this but, the 50th anniversary is going to be used so they can have Spider-Man legitimize Miles Morales by saying, "you have it tougher, it's all new to you, but you're good kid, so people should probably buy your book"?

I remember in the 90s Spidey saying this to Scarlet Spider, Batman saying this to Azrael, Superman saying this to Steel, and Thor saying this to Thunderstrike. And here we are, twenty years later, and still, they don't get people aren't interested in fan fiction knock offs that are 'legitimized' through continuity.

People dont mind different takes on superheroes; Steampunk Batman, Soviet Superman, 2000s Spider-Man, but they can't be bothered with different characters who are just named the same damn thing. Ironically, people like the idea of Spidey being black (Danny Glover, anyone?) but they want SPIDEY, not some other guy calling himself that. The reasons simple: it's not that people cant tell the realities of fiction writing from real life, rather it destroys the suspension of disbelief. You become aware you're reading a franchise.

It was Donald Glover, for ****'s sake!

E said:
The concept of Spider-Men from alternate universes meeting up is I appealing enough.

Friggin' autocorrect. That should say, "meeting up is unappealing enough."

Bass said:
Danny Glover

:lol:

I agree about legitimatizing via continuity, though.

I seem to remember someone (Bendis or Joe Q I think) saying that if they ever crossed over the UU and MU that would be a sure sign that they are out of ideas.

here's how Bendis responds to that:
I'd given it a great deal of thought over the years. It's funny, as we announced Ultimate Universe and it had its first year of success, that's when everyone started going, "Here comes the crossover!" There certainly is a comic book tradition of doing some sort of crossover. There wasn't a story in "Hey, Peter meets a vaguely younger version for himself, who is also dating a vaguely younger version of MJ." Then you have young MJ falling in love with older Peter and it's creepy and then the whole thing falls apart.

So it wasn't worth breaking down the barrier, because there wasn't a story. So we just put it away, to the point where Joe announced, "We will never do it." At the time, that was absolutely true, because with the characters, and who they were, and what they were doing, we were never going to do it. I'll remind people who like to quote Joe —10 years later, things changed. When we started talking seriously about doing what ended up being Miles Morales as Spider-Man, when you're making your pros and cons list of whether or not to do this, one of the pros was, "Now that's a crossover story worth telling." If Miles connects with any kind of audience, and we've got a kid who's trying to learn how to be Spider-Man, and then Peter gets to come to the Ultimate Universe to see what the world is like after he's died — boy, that's a Spider-Man story worth telling.

There certainly is a comic book tradition of doing some sort of crossover.

Uh huh. A "tradition."

There wasn't a story in "Hey, Peter meets a vaguely younger version for himself, who is also dating a vaguely younger version of MJ." Then you have young MJ falling in love with older Peter and it's creepy and then the whole thing falls apart.

Actually that sounds really interesting.

If Miles connects with any kind of audience, and we've got a kid who's trying to learn how to be Spider-Man, and then Peter gets to come to the Ultimate Universe to see what the world is like after he's died — boy, that's a Spider-Man story worth telling.

:sure:

I guess I just disagree.

I think Peter Parker visiting a world where he no longer exists and seeing what has changed because of him is an interesting story.

So... First time I hear about this but, the 50th anniversary is going to be used so they can have Spider-Man legitimize Miles Morales by saying, "you have it tougher, it's all new to you, but you're good kid, so people should probably buy your book"?

I remember in the 90s Spidey saying this to Scarlet Spider, Batman saying this to Azrael, Superman saying this to Steel, and Thor saying this to Thunderstrike. And here we are, twenty years later, and still, they don't get people aren't interested in fan fiction knock offs that are 'legitimized' through continuity.

I don't know it seemed to work for Damian Wayne. Course that was Grant Morrison....

I think Peter Parker visiting a world where he no longer exists and seeing what has changed because of him is an interesting story.

They're doing that kind of story in the Amazing Spider-Man Annual. Just in this mini people knew who Peter Parker was.

re: Joey Q. His comment was something to the effect of "You know when we cross the stories over, we've run out of ideas." There was a lot of snark when this crossover was announced, but I think it's less an indication that Marvel's run out of ideas and more an indication that people in the industry should stop making broad, bombastic statements like that. I doubt then he had any idea the sort of sweeping change that would come about in USM between then and now.

re: Bass. Oh, come on now. All superhero comics are fan fiction. They tell us "everything will change" or "this is the biggest event in the last decade" or "this is the status quo for the determinable future" and we all know that's not true. DC and Marvel are in the business of retaining static properties and their business model is predicated entirely on sleight of hand upheavals that give the reader the impression of change despite knowing deep down things will eventually revert back to normal. That's just how it works. And the best you can do is hope good stories come out of it. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't but it's better to try something new that will eventually be over-turned and runs the risk of failure than not to try it. Batman's legacy passed on to a successor raised after the chaos Bruce's presence brought about (be it Knightfall or Batman & Robin), a military man seasoned by the decades of violence and strife that Steve Rogers avoided suddenly given his mantle, the question of what happens to Peter Parker when the onus of "great responsibility" is finally lifted from his shoulders. These are all strong concepts worth exploring. Some get it right, some don't. But they aren't implicitly any less valid than stories where the OG's hold the marquee title.

re: this particular story. I'm not holding out too much hope. I'm generally not a big fan of Bendis' stuff and I gave up interest in the ultimate universe a long time ago, not because the characters are knock-offs but simply because the stories ceased to be all that interesting. My guess is, it will have a negligible impact on Slott's Spider-Man and leave seeds that could potentially shake up the status quo of the UU but are left dangling and are never really explored. Such is Bendis' way.

the watcher said:
They're doing that kind of story in the Amazing Spider-Man Annual. Just in this mini people knew who Peter Parker was.

That's different, that's a world where he never existed. This is a world where he did exist and died young.

E said:
I seem to remember someone (Bendis or Joe Q I think) saying that if they ever crossed over the UU and MU that would be a sure sign that they are out of ideas.

It was JQ and It was addressed and explained. Besides, the UU is different enough now where it makes sense and people wanted Miles to meet Peter.

It all makes sense in context E, don't be such a grumpy old man. ;)

Besides, it was a long time ago and things change.

Last edited:
It all makes sense in context E, don't be such a grumpy old man. ;)

Oh, Venom Melendez. I disagree, and I'm not sure how you know this having not read it yet.

I will be reading it but I'm not expecting much.

Oh, Venom Melendez. I disagree, and I'm not sure how you know this having not read it yet.

I will be reading it but I'm not expecting much.

I'll read it (and even pay for it). I may even enjoy it, I just think the concept is overdone and ridiculous.

Ah, well.

Spider-Men (Discussion/spoilers)

Meh...

Peter felt like Ultimate Peter. He didn't come off as Peter Parker, Avenger, guy who went through any of the Major Marvel Events. He felt like an older Ultimate Peter. For those that are more avid 616 readers, am I wrong? Is it to soon to make a snap judgement? It didn't feel like this is the same Parker who could have handled Spider-Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Spider-Men (Discussion/spoilers)

I liked it, but the meeting at the end was weird. It was like Bendis wasn't sure how exactly to have them bump into to each other in a better way. Other than that, it was a good start and Bendis still writes a great Spider-Man. It's cool that Peter thought what happened could have been an illusion by Mysterio at first. Better than just accepting what happened.

The rest of the series should be fun.

So it looks like Ultimate Mystero is posing as the Marvel Mystero.

Meh...

Peter felt like Ultimate Peter. He didn't come off as Peter Parker, Avenger, guy who went through any of the Major Marvel Events. He felt like an older Ultimate Peter. For those that are more avid 616 readers, am I wrong? Is it to soon to make a snap judgement? It didn't feel like this is the same Parker who could have handled Spider-Island.

Well, I don't know that I would say it felt like Ultimate Spidey, it just felt very Bendis-y. He writes his characters a certain way and does't know how to hide himself when he writes.
So it looks like Ultimate Mystero is posing as the Marvel Mystero.

Yeah, that... I don't know if I buy that. I mean, on one level it makes sense because Quentin Beck is dead (supposedly) but I dunno, it kind of seemed like this was Bendis' idea and Slott wouldn't have been on board with it. (is that really the Mysterio we JUST saw in Ends of the Earth?)

I guess that's part of my problem with this cross-over. If it affects both worlds and is in-continuity, then it seems like there are going to be two visions for Spider-Man in contrast to each other. I like Bendis, but I don't trust him to respect what Slott's doing on Amazing Spider-Man.

I did really like the part where he goes into the warehouse slowly instead of busting in because he "finally learned that lesson" and then after he gets transported to the Ultimate verse he goes back to the ware house and busts in, but it's a condo and he crashes in on some woman. That was humorous. :lol:

Last edited:

Meh.

I liked it, but the meeting at the end was weird.

That was actually pretty decent. That's how I'd expect two Spider-Men to meet.

Well, I don't know that I would say it felt like Ultimate Spidey

I didn't think so either.

And here's my problem with the crossover - it's already dumb. A mysterious secret portal in a warehouse? Really? That's how we're doing this?

And I have no idea what Mysterio was supposed to be doing; that was all confusing.

The art is good, though.

I guess that's part of my problem with this cross-over. If it affects both worlds and is in-continuity, then it seems like there are going to be two visions for Spider-Man in contrast to each other. I like Bendis, but I don't trust him to respect what Slott's doing on Amazing Spider-Man.

Yeah, it does come off that way...

Anyways, here's a preview of Issue #3. Sorry no thought or word bubbles and a couple of pannels are classified.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12710

Latest posts

Back