Ultimates 3 #1-5 discussion [Loeb/Madureira] [spoilers]

Re: Ultimates 3 #1 spoiler/discussion

I can't wait to read this.

So I can share in The Hate.

It is just so mediocre.

There is nothing good, nothing bad, nothing special.

This might be the first major Ultimate Comic that I drop.

Panther should be Ultimate Isaiah Bradley :)

That would actually be pretty cool: the OTHER Super-soldier that they were able to track down.

I'm not privy to either because she's probably not dead.

Aaaaaaaah. Part of me thinks she's dead because they want ULTIMATUM to mean something - i.e. lots of fan favourites without franchises might die.

Has Fury been ruled out for Black Panther? I'd love him to go all vigilante.

Black Panther's not Ronin!!!! (Though this is kinda cool.)

Panther should be Ultimate Isaiah Bradley :)

:lol:

Last edited:

I just read the new issue and I'm bummed out. I thought that what made the Ultimates the Ultimates was an undercurrent of realism. I realize that basically all the other Ultimate series have given this up, but the Ultimates was the flagship and now we get a flying horse.

I had high hopes for Loeb and what do we get: Thor talking like a two bit Shakespearean, Quicksilver threatening to kill Steve. Wasp, Wasp! leading the team! A bit of cheap sex with the Black Widow. Millar did the incest thing superbly and this is what we get: "He is in love with her." That is terrible writing.

I had thought that I would keep collecting the Ultimates, but this is the last issue I will buy.

I might buy another issue in the future if I see a return to what Millar had set up.

It is unbelievable that Loeb would just throw everything to the wind.
ug.

I agree with everything you said Mclintoc. That undercurrent of realism really made THE ULTIMATES quite unique. All the crazy **** - aliens and gods - was very... obscured. It was all off-kilter. It was brilliant because when they did show up, we went, "Wow. Aliens." Millar and Hitch really combined their talents to make saving the world something amazing again.

And now the comic has become a full-fledged franchise happy meal.

Damn.

People take Wasp being the leader to extreme hatred. It's THAT big of a deal. :?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest we need to re-frame what we just read/saw in this issue because, IMHO it was not the Ultimate Universe "reality."
If you look at Wanda as the bullet is racing toward her, she appears to be using her powers---altering reality. To me, that may be the key and the link to everything being so whacked. Yes, I understand this all takes place 2 yrs later, but perhaps Loeb will reveal through subsequent issues that Wanda's been some sort of key instigator/player in what's lead up to this issue.

I don't know----it's just my attempt to try to understand what the heck I just read.

It's just stupid in the first place to start two years later. It just shows that Loeb wasn't confidant enough to start where millar left off and that right there wshould have been the thing where we said, "this isn't going to work because he has no confidance in the original material." And im making bass' comment my sig.

It's just stupid in the first place to start two years later. It just shows that Loeb wasn't confidant enough to start where millar left off and that right there wshould have been the thing where we said, "this isn't going to work because he has no confidance in the original material." And im making bass' comment my sig.
The two volumes before took place a year apart. I don't how this one taking place 2 years later after volume 2 makes him not confidant in what Millar did, let alone that he and Millar talked to each other about what Loeb was going to do. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome Indiana Joe - great handle!

I was going to LOL at that but Bass beat me to it.

And I also agree with Mclintoc, and I haven't even read the issue yet.

It's just stupid in the first place to start two years later...

Long time reader, first time poster... :wink:

If this takes place 2 years later and Valkyrie is now 19, then maybe Hank OD'd coz he realised he'd been sleeping with a 17 year old and Nick Fury had him up on statutory rape charges...

Other than that, I agree with most other posters. Ultimates 3 seems to be wrought with poor writing / plot line and may as well be a regular Avengers storyline.

Last edited:

If this takes place 2 years later and Valkyrie is now 19, then maybe Hank OD'd coz he realised he'd been sleeping with a 17 year old and Nick Fury had him up on statutory rape charges...

BWAHAHAHAHA!
Welcome!

Was this added to the discussion yet?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12534

THe way Loeb discusses his work - its as if he's talking about a much more complete and coherent finished product than what we got. I am, myself, still interested - a little let down to be sure, but interested. Crazy, probably, but I liked Ultimates 1 and 2 so much that it will have to be really bad for a while before I drop the title (Hey - I stuck with USM for 50 issues of filler....to get us to the Clone Saga!! Do you really think I'm dropping this after 1 issue? :) )

Other than that, I agree with most other posters. Ultimates 3 seems to be wrought with poor writing / plot line and may as well be a regular Avengers storyline.

I like your style muchostyle! :D

(Do you see what I did there? MAN OF WIT I AM!)

I am giving the Loeb interview 4/5 Kahns.

Jeph Loeb said:
Every character has a mystery off of this opening issue

Captain America's is "Why isn't he leading the team?"
Iron Man doesn't have one.
Thor's is "Why is he talking like a ****?"
Hawkeye doesn't have one.
Nor Quicksilver.
Scarlet Witch's is "I'm dead."
Giant-Man has one; "How come he's friendly with Wasp?"
Wasp has two; "How come she's friendly with Giant-Man, and why is she in charge of the team?"
Hulk's is "Why is he not in this comic?"
Valkyrie has THREE! (wow) "Why does she have powers, is this the same Valkyrie that we saw in ULTIMATES 2 #6, and, Why is she dating Thor?"

My favourite though is Black Panther's mystery of, "Who the hell am I?"

I get that Loeb is trying to pique curiosity by having lots of mysteries opening the show, and I applaud the idea of starting a comic as close to the end as possible - in the thick of it, and we pick it up as we go along.

Loeb, however, isn't aware that no one will care unless there's some cohesion. There is nothing familiar in the comic - not the characters, not the setting, not the story telling, not the art style - nothing. So each mystery does the opposite of what it's meant to do: instead of drawing us IN to the comic, it pushes us away.

Plus, the comic doesn't start in the thick of anything. The first page is them talking, then Venom bursts in yelling, and the beginning of the story, "Scarlet Witch gets shot", happens in the last pages. This first issue is completely unnecessary save for Venom's "she" nonsense.

(Also, does anyone else feel that Killer Croc in HUSH and Venom here are exactly the same?)

Jeph Loeb said:
Sex, Lies and DVD' is the fuse. This is a story that will stand alone

Jeph Loeb said:
Captain America, we now know, has been on some 'personal' journey that is -- yes -- tied into what happened in 'Ultimate Power'

Apparently we need to have read an unrelated crossover to get what's going on. :roll:

Jeph Loeb said:
you've asked exactly the questions that were put there as part of the mystery

The questions asked were, "What is going on?" and "Who's that guy?"

I'm pretty sure those are the same questions everyone was asking before the comic came out.

Jeph Loeb on Ultimatum said:
I can promise you it's not good!

This though, makes it all worth while! :D

Still - 4/5 Kahns. My rage is definitely growing. I'm going to try to leave my anger at home and not ***** online anymore but sometimes, I gots to get it out.

Damn.

People take Wasp being the leader to extreme hatred. It's THAT big of a deal. :?

If this were the Wasp from the regular Marvel Universe, I wouldn't mind it, but the Wasp of the Ultimates is a research scientist with significant personal issues who happens to have mutant powers. Imagine the Green Berets choosing a research scientist to lead them. It doesn't make any sense.

One thing more: Janet points out to Steve the incest thing in the context of Steve's limited 1940s mindset, somewhat implying that this is a modern thing that he wouldn't get. Loeb has no control over his material.

It was brilliant because when they did show up, we went, "Wow. Aliens." Millar and Hitch really combined their talents to make saving the world something amazing again.

Yeah, you really nail it. To do this in comics with roughly 70 years of outrageous story-telling-- to really give that wow effect--was amazing.

I wouldn't be complaining so much about this new issue if it weren't for for the greatness of the first two volumes. They go down in my book as some of the best comic stories I've ever read (esp. the first 6, wow!). I'm just stunned that Loeb, would have no respect for that achievement.

Latest posts

Back