Civil War series discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate Civil War?

• Total voters
supermusli said:
Well, they have another option. They can put away the costume...
They shouldn't have to.

supermusli said:
Yes, but with traffic accidents you have someone to hold responsible, and the same goes for dirty cops (theoretically). But if a superhero has noone to answer to, how would you handle it if they screw up?
The heroes should help clean it back up. Like the FF do. They were held accoutable (if anyone read the early issues of MK: 4). But that shouldn't mean that you have to do all this.

I get the feeling that this kind of hotly debated discussion over the right of the government to force suprheroes to register and work for them is exactly what Marvel was hoping for. That in and of itself isn't bad by any means, but I just have this bad feeling like it will replace the story...like they are using the topic to stir up interest and leaving it that, without delivering anything to back it up.

Courtesy of CBR

CivilWar02.jpg

noooooo what is marvel doing to MMMMEEEEEEEE!!!! first a runaway must die, and now they're trying to kill Patriot?

I think it's pretty clear Patriot won't die. They not going to kill a black character. At worst, they'll paralyze/cripple him for the short term until he can get a transfusion from Cap.

MaxwellSmart said:
I think it's pretty clear Patriot won't die. They not going to kill a black character. At worst, they'll paralyze/cripple him for the short term until he can get a transfusion from Cap.

don't sell yourself short man....its just getting started and who knows what will happen.

Did the whole "Who is that 'new' Giant-Man?" thing get cleared up. He's not new at all. Did anyone get the 1970's handbook? Black Goliath's in there and I'm too tired to post it now (if anyone's interested ask and I'll post more tomorrow) but somewhere in the 70's The Thing suggested he changed his name from "Black Goliath" to something else. Probably because Marvel thought it was too insulting to name a character "Black" anything.

MaxwellSmart said:
I dont know the black guy is usually the first to go... poor, poor racism...

Initial numbers for Civil War #2

From Millar himself:

They're bigger-- yes bigger-- than the preposterous numbers for issue one.

Dave Gabriel gets up at 5am every day (he's a hard-working SOB) and just emailed to fill me in. This is unbelievable. Ultimates X-Men, Ultimates, MK Spidey, Ultimate FF, Wolvie, Ultimate War and Ultimates 2 have all been nice top five books, but I've never, EVER heard these kind of numbers before. And the final orders aren't even in yet. Plus re-orders on the first are just MONSTROUS.

Nice.

So thanks, folks.

MM

Anyone catch this from this week's Lying In The Gutters?

Gutteratti Richard Evans writes

"Marvel might be making Iron Man a villain. Has a major hero ever changed and kept his own series?

1. "Tony Stark is working with SHIELD on the Superhero Registration Act.
2. "He got Spider-Man on his side, for no other reason than to use him and have a powerful bodyguard who doesn't rely on technology.
3. "He hired a villain to attack the Senate while they were debating the SRA to push them to come to a decision.
4. "He has been upgraded to an almost inhuman level and is as much machine inside as outside.
5. "On Marvel's website, they have an entry for Nitro. It mentions that when Nitro fought Iron Man, Tony discovered a frequency that would cause Nitro to explode, Tony activates that frequency and causes Nitro to continually explode until he is too tired to keep fighting.

Tony Stark could have used his new powers to ignite Nitro from a distance. He could have even upgraded these villains the same way he upgraded Spider-Man.

"It would be a great big revelation if they did this, wouldn't it?"

An interesting theory indeed. I don't know if I like the idea but as long as the story is good....I'm all for a little character change.

I'd really be suprised if the reason for the whole conflict and Tony's stance on the issue was the result of some mastermind-ish manipulating done by Tony in order to get more money via a big govt contract.

Imagine the govt trying to build an entire army of supersoldiers with Tony Stark supplying the tech and this entire incident with the kids and SRA was just a cover?

I still like the idea the Hill kills one of the rebels and Cap responds by assassinating Hill. Tony then steps in a the head of SHIELD.

Victor Von Doom said:
I'd really be suprised if the reason for the whole conflict and Tony's stance on the issue was the result of some mastermind-ish manipulating done by Tony in order to get more money via a big govt contract.

Imagine the govt trying to build an entire army of supersoldiers with Tony Stark supplying the tech and this entire incident with the kids and SRA was just a cover?

Interesting indeed. I would like that if done correctly.

He'd be like a big corporation version of Kingpin.

This makes me frustrated. I love this story idea, except for the fact that I had developed the initial idea for this last august, and much of the earlier parts of my holocaust story, involved this storyline here.
http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3827

this quote for instance...

a young mutant with unstable powers has just reached puberty. the X-Factor gene awakens while in a densely populated school? federal building? i'm thinking something that has kids...lots of kids...easy for the media to sell it if it includes kids. His powers go erratic and he is assaulted by paranoid humans. Someone pulls a gun and shoots him which sets off a damn near nuclear explosion wiping out at least a city block. killing thousands

or...

The president declares marshal law under the control of General Nick Fury. Mutant terrorism starts to reach a high and Fury initiates a footnote of the Mutant Registration Act, and begins rounding up Mutants into holding cells.

or..

small escalation would give the world time to take more of a polarized view, siding on different ideologies. This war/destruction event has to be something big and quick, because it is a kicker, that is all this section is. the intial chicago thing is just there to get the ball rolling for the events of the holocaust to follow.

Captain America amidst all the turmoil begins to question the motives and methodology of the events that occur and is banished from the US, finding exile among the refugees on the Genoshan mainland.

dunno, just really frustrating that i started these ideas back on August 20th, with no knowledge as to this story. kinda cool, i guess, but more annoying because now i cant do it the way i wanted to.

I'm all for Iron man becoming a villian, i kinda liked the evil iron man from marvel team up.
And i mean it will be a huge shock to everybody, as long as next year they don't say oh hes good again and 2nd in command of avengers

I've been thinking of Iron Man going from hero to villain since that Spider-Man Civil War tie-in. It would be very interesting.

Shihad said:
I'm all for Iron man becoming a villian, i kinda liked the evil iron man from marvel team up.
And i mean it will be a huge shock to everybody, as long as next year they don't say oh hes good again and 2nd in command of avengers

What if it is? Maybe he escaped and locked our Tony away, and is lying in wait for the right moment to strike.

Latest posts

Back