Ultimate Power #9 Discussion (Spoilers)

Another great thread for our anti-Loeb rants.

The entire comic is basically an all-out brawl with Hulk vs. Supreme Power / Regular Squadron Supreme / Ultimate Heroes. For some reason all the teams deduce that they have been fighting the wrong people. It is also rather weird that they take too long beating Hulk considering they have Hyperion and Thor on their side which could easily go toe-to-toe with him.

The two Arcannas and Scarlet Witch realize that they must find a way to restore the weird duplication they have done. What does not make sense is why the Skrullian Skymaster shows up too since he does not have a counterpart in the Supreme Power SS team. He's not even a cameo as he has some dialogue and foolishly tries to go against the Hulk by himself.

The book ends with Sue causing Hulk to have trouble breathing by putting a force bubble in his face and Thing knocking him out. Hmph. Arcanna and Wanda get rid of the duplicate SS. We finally realize though which characters will exchange universes when the Squadron Supreme captures Fury (hence explaining his absence in USM, Bendis cares about continuity OMG?!?!) and Zarda will go to the Ultimate Universe to learn about their dimension and stuff. Yes, so Ultimate Black Panther is not Supreme Power Nighthawk. The End.

0.5/5. Loeb still fails to justify Marvel's decision for putting him in the helm of Ultimatum. Why couldn't they get Bendis, Millar or Ellis?! He's a primary example of people looking at someone's rep then his actual work. Hell, Kirkman and Carey are doing pretty good jobs in UXM and UFF and both their books are a ton better then U3 and UP.

Re: Ultimate Power #9 Discussion (Spoilers)

This was ridiculous. There is no worthwhile justification to remove Fury.
I have a problem with anyone but Bendis writing Ultimate Spider-man. Spidey in this was lame- he KNOWS Sue, he's met her multiple times. Why is he acting all flirty with her?
I hope the ramifications of him turning Fury in are delt with in USM, now that he's told Danvers that she's nowhere near as good as her predecessor. It's entirely HIS FAULT that Fury was no longer there to handle the Goblin situation more intelligently.
Somehow, I doubt it'll even matter.

Last edited:

Okay. bleagh. ugh. wtf. This sucked, etc.

In USM 115 when Peter's being interrogated by Danvers he keeps asking for Fury wanting to know where he is.

I just thought I'd point that out.

Okay. bleagh. ugh. wtf. This sucked, etc.

In USM 115 when Peter's being interrogated by Danvers he keeps asking for Fury wanting to know where he is.

I just thought I'd point that out.

But this takes place a year or so later.

But this takes place a year or so later.

I hope that's true. I just noticed on Joe K's timeline that a couple of UP issues are duplicated, placed before and after "death of a goblin".

I hope that's true. I just noticed on Joe K's timeline that a couple of UP issues are duplicated, placed before and after "death of a goblin".

Are you talking about part taking place in 2004 and part in 2007? Thats to account for the fact that the first few issues take place in the Ultimate Universe in 2004 (its specifically 2004 when the Gah Lak Tus event occurred, and in Ultimate Power #1 Fury mentions the Gah Lak Tus thing happened that year), but the rest of the series (except the last few pages of UP #9) take place in the Supreme Power Universe in 2007 since the Hyperion mini was placed concretely in early 2006, as well as the Squadron Supreme and Hyperion vs. Nighthawk minis taking place in 2006-2007, and Ultimate Power occurs afterwards. Its a whole cluster****, honestly. Its even said somewhere in the series that they not only crossed dimensions, but time as well. It might not have been intentional, but it at least helps explain away some of the continuity gaffs. Of course, there's no explaining the continuity mess-ups between UP and the Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, etc.

It fails for the fact that Fury went into the Supremeverse. I mean, seriously, who thought that was a good idea?

And Zarda goes into the Ultimate Universe? Buh? She's the most unstable member of the SS. Why the hell would they leave her behind to "study" the UU?

Ugh. What the hell.

It fails for the fact that Fury went into the Supremeverse. I mean, seriously, who thought that was a good idea?

UltimateX-Fury.jpg

Ultimate X-Fury #1 (Of 52)
Plot by: Joe Quesada & his ego
Written by Brian Michael Bendis & Jeph Loeb
Drawn by Bryan Hitch & Joe Mad
Cover by: We'll get back to you
17 Variants including Wolverine by: Yeah, we're working on it.

It's here! The sequel to the crossover you never asked for!!! But it's here because you fans demanded it (but not really)! The search for Fury starts here! Come join...somebody as they search for Nick Fury as he even wonders why the **** he was left behind in the first place!! Wait, what are we talking about? You mean even we don't know? Seriously? How will we sell this? Oh, of course! GUEST STARRING THE WHOLE ULTIMATE MARVEL UNIVERSE!! WHO LIVES!?!?! WHO DIES?!?!? AND WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?!?!? We do! That's why we're doing this mini!!

Release Date: Um...When is the 100th anniversary of the "moon landing" again?

Last edited:

I haven't read the issue yet, but I cannot fathom what purpose having Fury in the other universe serves. What on earth is the point of that? I mean, other than the awesome mini that Ice revealed.

I haven't read the issue yet, but I cannot fathom what purpose having Fury in the other universe serves. What on earth is the point of that? I mean, other than the awesome mini that Ice revealed.

Well, maybe there's plans in the works for the squadron supreme "ongoing" that hasn't been canceled, yet hasn't had an issue in about a year, with no news of any kind.

Well, maybe there's plans in the works for the squadron supreme "ongoing" that hasn't been canceled, yet hasn't had an issue in about a year, with no news of any kind.

Possibly...they were 1 issue into the next arc. What in the world does bringing Fury into it do for the story?

Normally I say wait and see and let the writer do his stuff, but this is just retarded.

Possibly...they were 1 issue into the next arc. What in the world does bringing Fury into it do for the story?

Normally I say wait and see and let the writer do his stuff, but this is just retarded.

agreed. i'm a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda guy, too, but everything about UP and the Ultimates just screams having changed direction several times midstream.

Latest posts

Back