Re: Ultimate Power #9 Discussion (Spoilers)

agreed. i'm a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda guy, too, but everything about UP and the Ultimates just screams having changed direction several times midstream.

I think you're absolutely right. I'd be willing to bet that the first issue was started without a clear idea not only how it would end, but without even knowing what the next guy was going to do.

It was all done for a gimmick - 3 of the supposedly top writers (har har har) in the business collaborating on one book.

If I were anyone associated with this book I would be humiliated.

So take Fury, a popular character from a previously popular series of books, and put him in a universe and book that is deader then Ben Franklin.

They want me to hate all things related to the UU don't they?

UltimateX-Fury.jpg

Ultimate X-Fury #1 (Of 52)
Plot by: Joe Quesada & his ego
Written by Brian Michael Bendis & Jeph Loeb
Drawn by Bryan Hitch & Joe Mad
Cover by: We'll get back to you
17 Variants including Wolverine by: Yeah, we're working on it.

It's here! The sequel to the crossover you never asked for!!! But it's here because you fans demanded it (but not really)! The search for Fury starts here! Come join...somebody as they search for Nick Fury as he even wonders why the **** he was left behind in the first place!! Wait, what are we talking about? You mean even we don't know? Seriously? How will we sell this? Oh, of course! GUEST STARRING THE WHOLE ULTIMATE MARVEL UNIVERSE!! WHO LIVES!?!?! WHO DIES?!?!? AND WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?!?!? We do! That's why we're doing this mini!!

Release Date: Um...When is the 100th anniversary of the "moon landing" again?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, that's Khans.

Tis true.

I haven't read the issue yet, but I cannot fathom what purpose having Fury in the other universe serves. What on earth is the point of that? I mean, other than the awesome mini that Ice revealed.

Fury is taken to Supremeverse for this reason: By removing him, ULTIMATUM can happen.

The idea it seems is this: Whatever ULTIMATUM and ULTIMATE ORIGIN are about, the 'event' that kickstarts it all happens because Nick Fury isn't around to safeguard it.

This makes some sense. Considerably more so than Fury having two arms or ZARDA coming into the Ultimate universe. (I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Unless she turns out to be Valkyrie... or Black Panther.)

What doesn't make sense is that ULTIMATE POWER, a 9-issue mini is needed to do this when Nick Fury could have been killed in the first issue of ULTIMATES 3.

So much simpler and more appropriate.

But appropriate is nothing.

In this issue, Captain America sells out Nick Fury to an alternate universe for the murder of millions.

CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Who THEN says, "I never trusted him anyway."

DID JEPH LOEB EVEN READ THE ULTIMATES?!?!?!

You know, he probably didn't. Because he's illiterate. Lord knows he can't write, so he probably can't read.

His writing is awful. His characters just narrate what's happening with slight inflections as to character. And then just random stuff happens. Characters walk on, dance, then walk off until he runs out of pages. Characters are as contradictory as the tone of the comic - it's just absolutely pathetic.

:arrgh:

5/5 Kahns

Last edited:

Fury.

What.

The.

****?

That is quite possibly one of the most stupendously moronic plot twists the UU has ever been privy to. What were they thinking?

"I know, I'll remove one of the UU's most interesting characters and stick him in a universe that has one title published on an extremely erratic, if not non-existent schedule and is already full to the brim of characters needing and deserving attention and exploration already!"

Whoever made that decision should honestly be fired. There is no better time to drop the UU completely. It's like a dog that just keeps pissing on the carpet.

Last edited:

yeah. Im going to go out on a limb here and say there isnt a soul on the planet who thinks this arc was good. Seriously, why did they make this? The world was a better place before Ultimate Power.

****, i hate Land so much it burns.

Reed Richards? Are you there? No, I guess you are bending offscreen. What? Cant find someone to trace him from LAND? Use the same head on the thing in pretty much every panel in the book? WHO WILL NOTICE!?!? :evil:

yeah. Im going to go out on a limb here and say there isnt a soul on the planet who thinks this arc was good. Seriously, why did they make this? The world was a better place before Ultimate Power.

****, i hate Land so much it burns.

Reed Richards? Are you there? No, I guess you are bending offscreen. What? Cant find someone to trace him from LAND? Use the same head on the thing in pretty much every panel in the book? WHO WILL NOTICE!?!? :evil:

The sad part is, the most atrocious thing about this mini and each individual issue, for that matter, wasn't Land's artwork...it was the absurd storyline written by 3 supposed "masters". Bull****. Land's art only served to compound an already very bad comic mini.

I read it.......

I miss Loeb's "Long Halloween" goodness.

There are no comments that I can say that justify this entire mini. I'm just glad a I got an answer as to what happened to Fury in my awesome USM "Death of a Goblin" arc. I just wish I had gotten that answer in a book that didn't make Card's "Ultimate Iron Man" or Bendis' "Ultimate Deadpool"....look like The Great Gatsby.

Ultimate Power makes Mighty Avengers look like "Extremis". Wrap your head around that comparison.

Last edited:

I read it.......

I miss Loeb's "Long Halloween" goodness.

There are no comments that I can say that justify this entire mini. I'm just glad a I got an answer as to what happened to Fury in my awesome USM "Death of a Goblin" arc. I just wish I had gotten that answer in a book that didn't Card's "Ultimate Iron Man" or Bendis' "Ultimate Deadpool"....look like The Great Gatsby.

Ultimate Power makes Mighty Avengers look like "Extremis". Wrap your head around that comparison.

No kidding. I got Long Halloween and Dark Victory for Christmas and the quality differences make my head bleed.

loeb is still secretly under the employ of Didio he has been sent as a double-agent to bring down the competition

loeb is still secretly under the employ of Didio he has been sent as a double-agent to bring down the competition

Yeah, I mean I liked everything he wrote for DC (it wasn't always necessarily good, but it was at least entertaining). I haven't seen one good thing he's done for Marvel. Not one.

Yeah, I mean I liked everything he wrote for DC (it wasn't always necessarily good, but it was at least entertaining). I haven't seen one good thing he's done for Marvel. Not one.

I realize that Ultimates3 will never be the geniusness that Millar brought us.......but I'm really waiting for Ultimates3 to give me some good ol' fashion Superman/Batman Loebness fun.

I enjoyed Spider-Man: Blue, but I was so young back then I didn't know the difference between crap and good.

Did anyone else like that mini (Blue)? Or any of the others (Hulk, Daredevil), for that matter?

I enjoyed Spider-Man: Blue, but I was so young back then I didn't know the difference between crap and good.

Did anyone else like that mini (Blue)? Or any of the others (Hulk, Daredevil), for that matter?

I really did. They were well done.

But i do agree - everything I have read that he's done for Marvel in this recent stint has not jsut been bad, it's been pure ****. As in, I can't believe Marvel accepted this and is paying money to publish it.

you know it's hard to beleive but Fallen Son has probably been his best work at marvel in his recent stint, and that was passable at best

*thinks about Wolverine arc*

*bleeds from ears*

*falls over*

Last edited:

I've only read Hulk Grey, and enjoyed it....
Man, I just wish marvel would stop f*****g with the ultimate universe. If it's gonna die then let it die peacfully, not humiliated by loebs strangle hold.....

and if it dont die then bring back the good, great, aww inspiring ideas that gave us ultimate war and ultimate six...... things were so much more simple back then......

Ok....I have to chime in on UP.

I can't believe someone at Marvel read UP and decided that not only was it worth printing, but that Loeb should be allowed to write more of the UU. Honestly, that series was pretty much unreadable. It was just terrible on so many levels. The continuity, the characterization, leaving Fury behind!?!?

UGH!

Someone at Marvel needs to be fired. (besides Loeb). In any case, I am NOT looking forward to what Loeb does to the UU in Ultimatum.

Looks like the only Marvel book I will be buying now is Thor.

Last edited:

I find it hard to understand the difference between BLUE, GREY, or YELLOW. All of them are Loeb having his characters narrate the events in other people's stories. Seriously, all the characters do is go, "Then this happened. That was written by Stan Lee. This happened, also written by Stan, and it made me feel bad. I wish you were here because then I wouldn't feel so bad. Then this other thing happened, and it too, made me feel bad." And on it went, issue after issue.

And then there was HUSH, the mystery without a mystery, and SUPERMAN/BATMAN, which was ULTIMATES 3 like in its cacophony of random action.

Ugh. Sorry if I offend anyone. :|

Latest posts

Back